Tom Higgins is the new Montreal HC

Mike

It'll be an adjustment back to coaching for him. Now that he has seen another side of the game from the officiating standpoint, whether he will quickly be able to adopt an effective winning philosophy seems like a question mark.

I can also see him butting heads with Popp. I see contrasting personalities.

Good on the Als, I guess Popp didn't want to return to the sidelines. I could see Higgins taking over as GM within the next year or two, since Popp seems to be more focused on heading to the NFL than anything else.

I would've liked him in our organization. 

it's reported at that time he is only interested on GM position. maybe he sees something goin' on the Als org. I wont be surprised if Poop bolts out to NFL this season o next yr.

Maybe head coach for the present with an option to be head coach/GM if Popp bails out and then moving up to GM next year in that scenario.

So, let me get this straight, when we hire a coaching candidate this late in the process, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel,….but when Montreal finally announces a Head Coach hire, Tom Higgins (passed over by at least two teams) then it's a very good move…someone we should have hired.

OK, now I get it.

So, let me get this straight, when we hire a coaching candidate this late in the process, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel,….but when Montreal finally announces a Head Coach hire, Tom Higgins (passed over by at least two teams) then it's a very good move…someone we should have hired.

OK, now I get it.

It's a name hire, and he is a previous head coach so he's got to be good still... Those kinds usually go over a lot better than a "what's his name".

Would have liked to see Higgins as GM in Winnipeg with Walters as his assistant.  Guess time will tell if the Bombers made the right choice.

I'd like to know if this was offered to Higgins. I wouldn't have minded it either. That said, I'd rather see that salary going to players and coaches, rather than another GM.

Not a bad hire by the Als. A lot of fans in Mont. think that Popps days are numbered. Could be gone sooner rather than later and some of them are not that disappointed. Popps job seeking in the NFL have finally caught up.

With Higgins and his experience I really don't see the need for Popp, other than as a US scout.

OK, now I get it.

And if we had hired Higgins a few months ago and the Als had hired O'Shea today you would be seeing 30 posts about how we went the easy road with the "recycled" Higgins and passed on the best chance at grabbing the CFL's newest "bright star" in the coaching world. You will have people complaining no matter who we hire. If we hired Belichick people would be saying "What, we couldn't get Harbaugh?"

I'm happy with O'Shea, but I would have been happy with Higgins too. I just want a guy who wants to win, and knows how to do it.

And if we had hired Higgins a few months ago and the Als had hired O'Shea today you would be seeing 30 posts about how we went the easy road with the "recycled" Higgins and passed on the best chance at grabbing the CFL's newest "bright star" in the coaching world. You will have people complaining no matter who we hire. If we hired Belichick people would be saying "What, we couldn't get Harbaugh?"

I'm happy with O'Shea, but I would have been happy with Higgins too. I just want a guy who wants to win, and knows how to do it.

Absolutely, and I don't believe there was an absolute correct hire.

For our team It was always going to take a collective effort with hard work from the people we hired, mixed with the recruiting of athletes who will complement the players we do have.

Not a bad hire by the Als. A lot of fans in Mont. think that Popps days are numbered. Could be gone sooner rather than later and some of them are not that disappointed. Popps job seeking in the NFL have finally caught up.

With Higgins and his experience I really don't see the need for Popp, other than as a US scout.

This must be sarcasm.

One of the best GM's in the history of the league should be a US scout for a guy who has basically been blacklisted out of working in personnel and management?