Two Bomber signings

Tracker

From the FreeP:

They aren’t marquee names, but they could be important pieces in the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ rebuild.

The club announced today the signing of Canadian safety Dan West, who had become a free agent earlier this week, and import wide receiver Antonio Robinson.

West (6-2, 201, Bishop’s) has suited up for 27 games over the past two seasons after signing as a free agent in 2012 with the Bombers, primarily as a special-teams player.

Robinson (6-3, 195, Nicholls State) was a versatile college player, pulling 47 receptions for 992 yards and 10 TDs, rushing 24 times for 249 yards and two majors while also returning kicks. He spent the 2010 and 2011 seasons with the Green Bay Packers on their practice squad, then joined the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League in 2012, and the New Orleans VooDoo of the Arena Football League in 2013.

Dan West is a ho-hum, but Robinson sounds interesting...

That's fine, but it doesn't mean he'd be even a competent player at any other DB position. Especially when it's completely unnecessary with the extra NI receiver.

What? Those are the 2 DB spots. Wide side DB and safety. If we don't start 4 NI OLs we will need to start either 2 NI DBs or a NI on the DL. Can't see a scenario where we start 3 NI WRs this year.

I have a feeling we may be starting 2 NI DBs this year.

I have a feeling you're wrong.

You know a safety is a DB, right?

Yeah I am well aware of that. You're more likely to see 4 NIs on the OL than 2 at db.

That would be the most likely scenario. Hell I'd say its more likely a guy like Jake Thomas steps into a spot rather than two Canadians in the secondary. 

I think there are about 5 iterations of the ratio that would happen before we saw the Bombers starting 2 NI DB's (out of the traditional 5 spots) willingly, including starting a NI tailback.

I think the hope is that we can rotate NI's through 2 spots on defence, Some combination of 2 of the following: Thomas and Lucas playing some DL, Newman/Muamba at safety, Bucknor playing dime in some packages, Newman/Sherman/West playing dime/LB, Stephan playing some LB.

I think there are about 5 iterations of the ratio that would happen before we saw the Bombers starting 2 NI DB's (out of the traditional 5 spots) willingly, including starting a NI tailback.

I think the hope is that we can rotate NI's through 2 spots on defence, Some combination of 2 of the following: Thomas and Lucas playing some DL, Newman/Muamba at safety, Bucknor playing dime in some packages, Newman/Sherman/West playing dime/LB, Stephan playing some LB.

Will also see Pontbriand and Fitzgerald offensively (depending on the package) .. 2 NI DBs .. Only out of desperation.