Coaching staff update

gbill2004

Etcheverry has a pretty simple philosophy on defense.

His strategy is basically just to try and confuse the hell out of the offense. He wants guys who can blitz from pretty much any spot on the field, guys who can move from the edge back into coverage and he thrives on having versatile bodies who can basically just fly around out there. Defensive tackles that can come off the edge, defensive ends who are capable of filling the responsibilities of a LB, safeties that can blitz, it's a big giant attempt at organized chaos.

The problem with it? The end result is that he often confuses the hell out of the offense but he confuses the hell out of his own guys too and you end up seeing blown assignments. That, and he tends to not adjust once he's been figured out.

His strategy is basically just to try and confuse the hell out of the offense. He wants guys who can blitz from pretty much any spot on the field, guys who can move from the edge back into coverage and he thrives on having versatile bodies who can basically just fly around out there. Defensive tackles that can come off the edge, defensive ends who are capable of filling the responsibilities of a LB, safeties that can blitz, it's a big giant attempt at organized chaos.

The problem with it? The end result is that he often confuses the hell out of the offense but he confuses the hell out of his own guys too and you end up seeing blown assignments. That, and he tends to not adjust once he's been figured out.

Isn't that pretty close to what we were running last year?

only half, all the Bombers were doing last year was confusing themselves. 

It's basically the opposite.  Burke relies on a 4 man rush and man or match coverage...very predictable, but if you have guys who execute and win the 1 on 1 battles, it can be spectacular.  Etcheverry is more like Chris Jones, anyone can and will blitz and there will be a lot of zone defence behind that, sometimes with guys dropping into coverages that their position wouldn't in a more basic defence like Burke's.

I for one much prefer the straightforward just beat the guy across from you type defenses. I don't think you need to be trying to rely on confusion as a defense, that just leads to getting figured out and exposed. At least in a more standard defense if something is getting exposed you know you have to replace the player. 

And I prefer the "guess what I'm going to do" defence, but not in any or all situations.

I would want a basic D supplemented by packages of 'surprises'.

If Etcheverry can work within a framework of O'Shea's, and have versatile enough players, then we'll be fine.

I for one much prefer the straightforward just beat the guy across from you type defenses. I don't think you need to be trying to rely on confusion as a defense, that just leads to getting figured out and exposed. At least in a more standard defense if something is getting exposed you know you have to replace the player. 

I'm pretty sure good coaches can figure out who has to go no matter what!

I like whatever works.  Whatever the basic principles of the defense happens to be, they need to change tendency enough that the QB can't read them easily pre-snap, get rid of the ball fast and just roll down the field 8 yards at a time.

Could Jonathan Himebauch end up as our Oline coach ?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/12/argos-re-sign-talented-kicker-waters

He may have a familiar face in Jonathan Himebauch, whom Milanovich named to his original staff two years ago, only to see Himebauch bolt to Wake Forest.

The Argos have no offensive line coach, but Himebauch’s name has also been linked with Winnipeg and Edmonton.

The Bombers have yet to announce their entire coaching staff, but sources say those on the defensive side of the ball are set.

Gary Etcheverry will return to the CFL as the defensive co-ordinator, and he will have Nelson Martin coaching the secondary, former Winnipeg special teams assistant Cory McDiarmid as his linebackers coach and Mike Scheper as the defensive line boss.

The Bombers and Edmonton Eskimos are apparently both pursuing former Bombers offensive line coach Bob Wylie to fill that role with their respective clubs

source: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/02/13/bombers-bringing-the-hammer

From today's Winnipeg Sun:

STAFF ALMOST SET

The Bombers have yet to announce their entire coaching staff, but sources say those on the defensive side of the ball are set.

Gary Etcheverry will return to the CFL as the defensive co-ordinator, and he will have Nelson Martin coaching the secondary, former Winnipeg special teams assistant Cory McDiarmid as his linebackers coach and Mike Scheper as the defensive line boss.

The Bombers and Edmonton Eskimos are apparently both pursuing former Bombers offensive line coach Bob Wylie to fill that role with their respective clubs.

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2014/02/13/bombers-bringing-the-hammer.

From today's Winnipeg Sun:

STAFF ALMOST SET

The Bombers and Edmonton Eskimos are apparently both pursuing former Bombers offensive line coach Bob Wylie to fill that role with their respective clubs.

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2014/02/13/bombers-bringing-the-hammer.

Wow, certainly lots of Canadian content and 3 down football knowledge on this Winnipeg Football Club, probably more Canadian coaches/managers than any other team in the CFL: Wade Miller, Kyle Walters, Ted Goveia, Mike O'Shea, Marcel Bellefeuille, Pat Tracey, Markus Howell, along with Nelson Martin and Cory McDiamid if report above is correct. Obviously Walters/O'Shea have purposely recruited a complement of experienced Canadians who understand the nuances of 12 men, 3 downs, 110 x 65 yards and the 20-second clock, because they've been playing/coaching the game for years. It is a different game from US ball.

Bob Wylie or Jonathan Himebauch would both be great additions as OL coach.  Jonathan Himebauch also has experience as a CFL offensive coordinator, so could take over that role from Bellefeuille at some point.  If it's down to Wylie or Himebauch for the OL coach, I am feeling very comfortable.  

Asides from Etcheverry, we seem to be putting together a very solid coaching staff.

Bob Wylie or Jonathan Himebauch would both be great additions as OL coach.  Jonathan Himebauch also has experience as a CFL offensive coordinator, so could take over that role from Bellefeuille at some point.  If it's down to Wylie or Himebauch for the OL coach, I am feeling very comfortable.  

Asides from Etcheverry, we seem to be putting together a very solid coaching staff.

Himebauch or Wylie as OL coach makes me feel very comfortable, but Himebauch doesn't have any experience as a CFL OC. As for the defense, I think Etcheverry is the least of our concerns. McDiarmid and Martin, especially the latter, worry me.

Jonathan Himebauch technically has one month as the Argos OC, before he left for NCAA.

Yeah he was their OC from mid-December to mid-January.

I'm not going to count that as any type of relevant experience.

I thought it was during their TC.  Either way, I won't disagree with you there.