Glen Johnson replaces Higgins as VP of Officiating

Mr. Perfect

Putting a good Ref in charge of officiating? That's so radical that it could work. Good choice IMHO. I never did understand why Higgins was given that job.

yea me either and under his watch, i didnt see any significant improvements.. i do like the idea of johnson as the vp but i do hate seeing him leave the field of play as he is a very good cfl ref..

Higgins was given the job because there was felt a need to educate officials by someone wh had intimate knowledge and perspective of the game. It was felt that the officials didn't know the game and were officiating from a text book perspective and rather from a true understanding of the game. It was also thought that the perspective of officials completely policing there own would result in them eing protective of their own.

I guess time will tell.

I have no beefs with Andre Proulx. I honestly think people's negative view of him has a lot to do with his heavy accent. Not fluently English, so he must be dumb...

I would say he has gotten better in the last couple of years, but before that there always seemed to be questionable call against the Bombers when we played Montreal.   

When a game doesn't involve Montreal, I have no problems with him as a ref.

Personally, I'd take anyone over Murray Clarke.Remember a couple years ago when Brink took a blatant shot to the head with Murray Clarke staring directly at him... and no call? Not just a missed call, it was more like Clarke just let it happen. It was so bad that when the TSN panel broke the play down they froze the frame at the moment of impact and zoomed in on Clarke staring intently as it happened. I had enough reasons to not like him up to that point, but that non-call sealed the deal.

I have no beefs with Andre Proulx. I honestly think people's negative view of him has a lot to do with his heavy accent. Not fluently English, so he must be dumb...

I would say he has gotten better in the last couple of years, but before that there always seemed to be questionable call against the Bombers when we played Montreal.   

Perception, or reality?  Most of the botched Montreal-Winnipeg games have been officiated by Murray Clarke.

Perception, or reality?  Most of the botched Montreal-Winnipeg games have been officiated by Murray Clarke.

I'm not a fan of Murray Clarke either.

Having a former official police the officials is like having a rat police a cheese tray.

I don't view his job as "policing" the officials.  His job is to give guidance and direction.   Johnson was a good ref, hopefully he can take the years of seeing what worked, what didn't, and knowing where deficiencies in the system lie to improve them.

On the other hand, you can take someone who knows absolutely nothing about the job with no experience and put them in charge.  Yes, I'm looking at you Mr. Buchko.