Why hasn't Tim Burke been fired yet?

gbill2004

They won't have a problem selling tickets with Tim Burke.

They already have a problem selling tickets with Tim Burke.  First season in a new stadium, how many sellouts?  They budgeted for 31,500 per game, did they get that?

The were just under that it was over 30500 if I remember correctly.

Not because of Tim Burke. They didn't sell out the second home game coming off a victory in Montreal. The pricing structure was wrong.

I don't want to feed the troll... but the bait is irresistable...

I know A LOT of season ticket holders; and at least 50% are waiting to hear whether or not Burke will be retained before renewing.  Sure, they're bitching about the price increases... but they're football fans that will suck it up and buy season's because they love football and the Bombers.  

Don't kid yourself.  There is NO REASON why a team in the CFL's only new stadium since SkyDome shouldn't sell out every game in its first year; especially given half-decent weather.  The fact that we DIDN'T... is a result of an extremely poor product on the field.  On-field product is Burke's responsibility.

People will pay through the nose to watch winners with whom they have a strong attachment.  Ever been to a ball game in Boston or New York?  We haven't had a winner in a long while, and attachment is starting to dwindle...

Not because of Tim Burke. They didn't sell out the second home game coming off a victory in Montreal. The pricing structure was wrong.

I know A LOT of season ticket holders; and at least 50% are waiting to hear whether or not Burke will be retained before renewing.  Sure, they're bitching about the price increases... but they're football fans that will suck it up and buy season's because they love football and the Bombers.  

Don't kid yourself.  There is NO REASON why a team in the CFL's only new stadium since SkyDome shouldn't sell out every game in its first year; especially given half-decent weather.  The fact that we DIDN'T... is a result of an extremely poor product on the field.  On-field product is Burke's responsibility.

People will pay through the nose to watch winners with whom they have a strong attachment.  Ever been to a ball game in Boston or New York?  We haven't had a winner in a long while, and attachment is starting to dwindle...

HAHAHAHA

First: Been here a long time pal, not a troll.

Secondly, if you thought my post was trolling you neither understand the definition of trolling nor comprehend the common sense of my post.

Thirdly, communities like this forum are the vocal minority.  It's true.  Listen to any broader forum and you get much more generalized opinions with many people sympathetic to Burke.

Fourthly, I made no judgements about Burke.  I believe he will be fired.  I believe massive changes are needed.

But keeping Burke will absolutely not result in there being 20,000 fans at Bombers game.  That just won't happen.  Product on field means more. 

And finally, your logic makes zero sense.  The Bombers did not sell out their second home game.  No one thought the team was horrible.  They nearly beat Montreal at home and did beat them on the road. 

Will *some* fans turn in their season tickets?  Yes.  Ofcourse.  Will *some* fans be angry and resist buying tickets?  Yes.  Ofcourse.  But will the sky fall?  Nope. 

Too many Chicken Little's on here.

But keeping Burke will absolutely not result in there being 20,000 fans at Bombers game.  That just won't happen.  Product on field means more. 

and TIm Burke consistently puts a shitty product on the field. 

Nope.  Tim Burke is part of a managment team that out a shitty product on the field.  Its a moot point as Tim will be fired.  But anyone who thinks keeping him would sound the death knell for attendance is kidding themselves. 

HAHAHAHA

Secondly, if you thought my post was trolling you neither understand the definition of trolling nor comprehend the common sense of my post.

Thirdly, communities like this forum are the vocal minority.  It's true.  Listen to any broader forum and you get much more generalized opinions with many people sympathetic to Burke.

Fourthly, I made no judgements about Burke.  I believe he will be fired.  I believe massive changes are needed.

And finally, your logic makes zero sense.  The Bombers did not sell out their second home game.  No one thought the team was horrible.  They nearly beat Montreal at home and did beat them on the road. 

Will *some* fans turn in their season tickets?  Yes.  Ofcourse.  Will *some* fans be angry and resist buying tickets?  Yes.  Ofcourse.  But will the sky fall?  Nope. 

I wouldn't really call the Winnipeg Sun comments page a broader forum.

HAHAHAHA

I wouldn't really call the Winnipeg Sun comments page a broader forum.

a) no one mentioned the Sun

B) yes it is

c) Point is still the same.  the "no one will buy a ticket because I wont buy a ticket" argument is silly.

There is always a calculated level of ticket drop off after a season. There will be again , some will blame Burke, poor record, ticket price increase, parking , access to the Stadium. Take your pick. I would suggest that most Clubs will contact cancelling ticket holders to poll their reasons. This is what smart teams do in an effort to identify and make possible corrections.

There is always a calculated level of ticket drop off after a season. There will be again , some will blame Burke, poor record, ticket price increase, parking , access to the Stadium. Take your pick. I would suggest that most Clubs will contact cancelling ticket holders to poll their reasons. This is what smart teams do in an effort to identify and make possible corrections.

They have been calling every season ticket holder.

HAHAHAHA

Duration on a site doesn't preclude trolling.  You got your response.  Be a happy troll.

People won't tolerate shitty traffic and parking to watch a poor on-field product; long-term.  The other side of it is that once you've been shitty for awhile, it takes time to build your fanbase back. On-field product is the responsibility of management.  You yourself acknowledged that Burke is part of management.

Good coaches draw the best efforts out of their players.  Burke may or may not have inherited a talented group... my point is that he rarely drew inspired efforts out of them.  I'll say it again: Burke could coach the '01 Bombers to a losing record.  Would you go through a wall for a coach that throws your teammates under the bus to the media?

Lastly, regarding your comment about not selling out the 2nd home game... I will agree, but only because Burke couldn't have had an impact on that game.  We've probably sold out each and every summer game for the past 10 years.  Not even shitty coaching could prevent a sell out.  Most of the walkup is there for the party -- and no one knows how much of a stud or dud you have at that point in the year. 

Remember the traffic snarl from the 1st game?  That was the impact on the 2nd.  Look more to the empty seats in the fall.  That was the impact of Tim Burke.

HAHAHAHA

Duration on a site doesn't preclude trolling.  You got your response.  Be a happy troll.

People won't tolerate shitty traffic and parking to watch a poor on-field product; long-term.  The other side of it is that once you've been shitty for awhile, it takes time to build your fanbase back. On-field product is the responsibility of management.  You yourself acknowledged that Burke is part of management.

Good coaches draw the best efforts out of their players.  Burke may or may not have inherited a talented group... my point is that he rarely drew inspired efforts out of them.  I'll say it again: Burke could coach the '01 Bombers to a losing record.  Would you go through a wall for a coach that throws your teammates under the bus to the media?

Lastly, regarding your comment about not selling out the 2nd home game... I will agree, but only because Burke couldn't have had an impact on that game.  We've probably sold out each and every summer game for the past 10 years.  Not even shitty coaching could prevent a sell out.  Most of the walkup is there for the party -- and no one knows how much of a stud or dud you have at that point in the year. 

Remember the traffic snarl from the 1st game?  That was the impact on the 2nd.  Look more to the empty seats in the fall.  That was the impact of Tim Burke.

Quality of post should equate to level of trolling.  Your quality is slipping.

I dont have attendance in front of me.  But my recollection is, yes, traffic was an issue (a media-ballooned issue) and the combination of higher capacity and poor pricing kept the last couple thousand tickets from being sold.  The team also drew well into the fall.  Even the last game started out with 20,000 people.

The debate is not whether Burke is a good coach or should come back.  You made a broad statement that ticket sales would be disasterous if he were retained.  Common sense and history prove otherwise.

The reason people didn't go to games was the product. I didn't go to any games because I don't have much free time these days and why use that free time to see your club get annihilated.

All my friends who are casual fan friends did not go because they had no interest in watching them lose.

The price is plenty fair enough...the product was simply so bad.

Quality of post should equate to level of trolling.  Your quality is slipping.

I dont have attendance in front of me.  But my recollection is, yes, traffic was an issue (a media-ballooned issue) and the combination of higher capacity and poor pricing kept the last couple thousand tickets from being sold.  The team also drew well into the fall.  Even the last game started out with 20,000 people.

The debate is not whether Burke is a good coach or should come back.  You made a broad statement that ticket sales would be disasterous if he were retained.  Common sense and history prove otherwise.

LOL.  The Bombers sold in excess of 25,000 season tickets in 2013.  Your 20,000 figure isn't flattering to your argument.

Common sense is that people will expect quality for their money.  Burke's tenure as HC has not delivered a quality on-field product.  People have seen enough.  Wallets will start speaking soon. 

Not sure of your historical precedent... the 2010 4-14 season.. our last 3 home games: 25,016, 23,446, and 22,056.  This is how we drew in the fall, when we had little to no playoff prospects.  The 25,016 game against BC, I think we were still mathematically still alive, but it was a steep uphill battle. 

Contrast this with 2011; when near the end of the year we were pretty sure we had a clunker; but hey, it was a 1st place clunker.  Last 3 home games: 30,360, 29,751, and 29,076.

Season ticket sales aren't a given.  The coach and the QB are probably a football team's most key on-field personnel.  Season ticket sales will very likely decrease dramatically if we don't do something about both positions. 

The idea they would only draw 20,000 tickets to any game next season if Burke were retained is laughable and the fact they drew 20,000 fans to the final meaningless game when one of the most anticipated Jets games of all time was taking place shows proves that.

If anything, the people vowing to never buy another ticket go to show that the Bombers have a lot of opportunity to increase ticket sales by increasing their on-field performance.  You can argue Burke's impact on that, but it's a side issue to the big picture.  if you personally never go to another game, no one would notice or miss you.

The idea they would only draw 20,000 tickets to any game next season if Burke were retained is laughable and the fact they drew 20,000 fans to the final meaningless game when one of the most anticipated Jets games of all time was taking place shows proves that.

If anything, the people vowing to never buy another ticket go to show that the Bombers have a lot of opportunity to increase ticket sales by increasing their on-field performance.  You can argue Burke's impact on that, but it's a side issue to the big picture.  if you personally never go to another game, no one would notice or miss you.

While that sounds great in theory, you better hope that's not how the Bombers operate.