Why hasn't Tim Burke been fired yet?

gbill2004

Well from what I heard from Bob Irving this morning on CJOB, it looks like they're not going to make any decisions about Burke until after the Grey Cup is over.

Why?  What in Tim Burke's body of work supports the concept that he's a good HC?  Acknowledging to the media that he has bad players? 

No.  That speaks to the fact that he is a poor leader that leans on crutches, has not shown capable of coaching talent up, nor developing scheme around your talent.

Give him the '01 Bombers and I'd bet he'd coach them to a losing record. 

How so?  The '01 Bombers had 14 wins and Burke had 3 wins with this team.  So by my calculations 14+3 = 17 and that team would have went 17-1, a CFL record.

Well from what I heard from Bob Irving this morning on CJOB, it looks like they're not going to make any decisions about Burke until after the Grey Cup is over.

Why?  What in Tim Burke's body of work supports the concept that he's a good HC?  Acknowledging to the media that he has bad players? 

No.  That speaks to the fact that he is a poor leader that leans on crutches, has not shown capable of coaching talent up, nor developing scheme around your talent.

Give him the '01 Bombers and I'd bet he'd coach them to a losing record. 

How so?  The '01 Bombers had 14 wins and Burke had 3 wins with this team.  So by my calculations 14+3 = 17 and that team would have went 17-1, a CFL record.

That's some good Burke math you gots there...

There were enough red flags when Burke took over last year that he never should have got the gig full time, the fact that he wasn't fired immediately after the season ended just leads everyone to keep believing that this team doesn't know it's ass from a hole in the ground. Regardless of whether or not the team is talented enough we all know that Burke is not head coaching material. 

I seriously don't know if I could spare season tickets if they bring Burke back. I've never been emotionally disconnected from the Bombers as I was this season.

I'm the exact same way. If Burke is back, I'll be committing to tickets on a week by week basis in 2014.

I seriously don't know if I could spare season tickets if they bring Burke back. I've never been emotionally disconnected from the Bombers as I was this season.

I'm the exact same way. If Burke is back, I'll be committing to tickets on a week by week basis in 2014.

These words speak volumes, given that they're written by people who care enough about the Bombers to post regularly on a dedicated fan forum. 

I'm in the same boat.  Unwilling to commit my $$ until I know if Burke is retained.  To be honest, the fact he hasn't been canned yet floors me.

These words speak volumes, given that they're written by people who care enough about the Bombers to post regularly on a dedicated fan forum. 

I'm in the same boat.  Unwilling to commit my $$ until I know if Burke is retained.  To be honest, the fact he hasn't been canned yet floors me.

It's just tough for me ... my dad and I have had season tickets for 14 years now and this was the first year I missed a single game. I went 13 years without missing a single home game for any reason at all. I'm used to being the guy that goes out to the lake late on weekends if there's a game, I'd miss birthday parties, family events, my own sports, anything just to make sure I didn't miss a game. And this year, they managed to just completely kill my interest. A brand new stadium and I couldn't be bothered to attend after the Banjo Bowl. I went yesterday just to take pictures on the field for the last time, but I was anything but interested in the game itself.

It's not going to take much to bring me back as a full time supporter but keeping Tim Burke just isn't going to cut it.

The fact that they haven't already fired him has me greatly worried that we haven't seen the last of Burke.

If Miller and Walters, both of whom have said Burke isn't the problem, get their 'acting' tags removed (as expected), then what are the chances that they retain Burke as HC?

Most of the time a team will act quickly after the season (see the Eskimos) both to signal the opening and to give them as much time as possible to find the replacement.

Now we are hearing it might be weeks before a decision is made about Burke's future.

I don't like where this is going. 

When's the season ticket deposit deadline?  Perhaps they string people along until then.

One would think that if they're trying to kindle up fan interest... they would start as soon as possible.  No value in waiting.  Fans are just going to become more resentful... or worse, completely disinterested.

The other key point, is that the Als and Eskies can start interviewing HC candidates immediately.  We might resign ourselves to at best, the 3rd best candidate.  There's something called the first mover advantage.

Real ominous feeling. There's enough issues cropped up with Burke that I don't think he could get any amount of talent to win. Someone said somewhere here that Burke would probably have a losing record with the 2001 team, I think I agree with that. Some coaches just don't get as much as possible out of players and Burke is very obviously one of those guys. 

This line in wheat-chex article today made me nauseous:

"Sources have indicated the club is determined to follow a sequence that will first see Wade Miller get the acting tag lifted from his job as CEO, followed shortly afterward by the naming of a new GM, which will in all likelihood be acting-GM Kyle Walters."

There's not even a mention of a cursory GM search. 

I would love to see C Dickenson get his first HC role here. But with such an amateur-hour approach to filling upper management roles, why in holy hell would CD leave the comfy spot he has under Huffer, especially if Huffer leaves the sidelines soon?

Miller will get Walters as GM and his business partner/buddy Khari as HC -- Bank on it!

This line in wheat-chex article today made me nauseous:

"Sources have indicated the club is determined to follow a sequence that will first see Wade Miller get the acting tag lifted from his job as CEO, followed shortly afterward by the naming of a new GM, which will in all likelihood be acting-GM Kyle Walters."

There's not even a mention of a cursory GM search. 

I would love to see C Dickenson get his first HC role here. But with such an amateur-hour approach to filling upper management roles, why in holy hell would CD leave the comfy spot he has under Huffer, especially if Huffer leaves the sidelines soon?

Miller will get Walters as GM and his business partner/buddy Khari as HC -- Bank on it!

I'd like to see Khari at OC, but I don't think he's got the experience to be a HC just yet.

Tim Burke by the numbers

Record as head coach: 7-21

Point differential: -310

Two possession losses: 15

20+ point losses: 7

30+ point losses: 4

40+ point losses: 2

10+ point victories: 3

20+ point victories: 1

Average margin of defeat per loss: 18.28 points

Tim Burke by the numbers

Record as head coach: 7-21

Point differential: -310

Two possession losses: 15

20+ point losses: 7

30+ point losses: 4

40+ point losses: 2

10+ point victories: 3

20+ point victories: 1

Average margin of defeat per loss: 18.28 points

And when you compare those numbers to Lapos you realize just how bad Burke really is cause they were dealing with a lot of the same things when it comes to the roster and GM who built that roster. This isn't about talent right now, it's about a coach that is truly inept. 

Just as a point of comparison ...

Burke coached 28 games with a point differential of -310

Jeff Reinebold coached 33 games with a point differential of -283

6 more losses, 1 less win and he still didn't get destroyed as badly as Burke. And Reinebold is the benchmark for futility around these parts.

My prediction

GM: Walters, possibly Duningan (then Walters will be AGM)

HC: Khari (possibly Bellefeuille)

OC: Dyce, possibly Khari if he isn't HC. (Wildcard is Cortez)

DC: Fat Greg Marshall (possibly Kavis)

ST: C Dickenson

any hope of any reasoning as to why you select these people?  Or is this just a random list?  If random, then I'd like to see John Elway and Bill Belichick as GM and HC.