Arbitrator rules against Chris Williams

Jpan85

CBA has changed since the days of Dieter Brock. I can't see a daily fine being allowed but I didn't check.

So, what your're saying is without even looking at the CBA that there'd be a provision in it where they lay out what teams can & can't do when a player breaches his contract?

So, what your're saying is without even looking at the CBA that there'd be a provision in it where they lay out what teams can & can't do when a player breaches his contract?

I know the CBA only allows teams to fine players for specific infractions which, upon looking would seem to include sitting out. I also know the maximum fine a team can levy is $75. I suspect the CFLPA would argue that a player sitting out would constitute one breach, not a separate breach for each day.

Also there's nothing stopping Williams from retiring for the season. If he did he would still be a free agent at the end of the season.

that's just it though... unless he tries to play somewhere else, he ain't breaking his contract.

Chris Williams: How To Win Friends & Influence People. And 30-50% of the agents aren't registerd with the CFL& CFLPA? Like, why are players dealing wth so many unregistered agents. This is a joke, people. If these people aren't certified they have no business negotiating contracts for their clients. Why does the CFL always have to give itself a self imposed black eye before it does something??

Affair was a charade from the start. A lot of this poor Chris Wms . as victim "the system is broken" reaction was laughable. He and his agent rolled the dice, like the indicted turning down a plea and taking chances with a jury,  and they lost.

Move along.

So, the problem now is... up to 50% of the players were represented by agents not certified by the CFL/CFLPA. Technically, that is a breach of the collective bargaining agreement meaning players could walk if they want out of their contracts early. How stupid is/ was the CFL for allowing this to happen??? Sometimes the CFL looks & acts like such a bush league. Shooting itself in the foot time & time again. The arbitrator may have ruled saying that Williams contract was still valid but next time, an arbitrator may rule the other way... Slippery slope we're on right now.

I kind of understand where Williams is coming from.  There are lots of things that could go wrong for him in an 18 game season. Is it worth the risk of ruining his dream of playing in the NFL for the salary he is getting?

regardless, he should have considered this when he signed and agreed to his contract.. hes being a punk, plain and simple. I'd say the same thing if it was Henoc Muamba or Milt Stegall doing this..  

I kind of understand where Williams is coming from.  There are lots of things that could go wrong for him in an 18 game season. Is it worth the risk of ruining his dream of playing in the NFL for the salary he is getting?

yup. the only person he's obligated to look out for is himself. he has one shot in his life to play for hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions. 

sucks that he likely won't trust them enough to sign a new 1+1 with a "gentleman's agreement" to release him. Hamilton misplayed this situation, imo. the new GM coming in (Austin) could have played "good cop" and offered him Chad Owens type money and promised a release (if he still wanted one) after one season... but instead he circled the wagons and dug in.

iron fist is fine... but you should wear a velvet glove over it.

yup. the only person he's obligated to look out for is himself. he has one shot in his life to play for hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions. 

sucks that he likely won't trust them enough to sign a new 1+1 with a "gentleman's agreement" to release him. Hamilton misplayed this situation, imo. the new GM coming in (Austin) could have played "good cop" and offered him Chad Owens type money and promised a release (if he still wanted one) after one season... but instead he circled the wagons and dug in.

Have offered him more money, more CFL money isnt what he's after, he wants out. Cant play the nice cop when he doesnt want to be here.

Have offered him more money, more CFL money isnt what he's after, he wants out. Cant play the nice cop when he doesnt want to be here.

i don't think "nice cop" was ever put on the table in the first place. but i wasn't in the room or on the conference call so we'll never know.

all i know is that closers close. and Austin didn't close his deal.

i don't think "nice cop" was ever put on the table in the first place. but i wasn't in the room or on the conference call so we'll never know.

all i know is that closers close. and Austin didn't close his deal.

Hard to say but this has been ongoing since at least the end of last season and not since CW's tweet.