Arbitrator rules against Chris Williams

Jpan85

The only ruling that makes sense. Now whether the guy can put his ego aside and show up to camp...

yup and I highly doubt he shows up.. He should man up but something tells me its unlikely.. 

Fine his ass $500 a day for not showing up. Then take him to court to collect it. Make an example of the guy if he wants to mess around. Watch how fast he comes back. I've no sympathy for him whatsoever.

they can't force him to show up.

It's been done in the past. He hasn't retired so he is obligated to play. I think financially he'd be on the hook. The one thing I don't want to see are the Ti Cats being the nice guy here & letting him not live up to his obligations as we'll see more of this kind of garbage from players if they do. It will open up a Pandora's Box.

he'd probably make more this summer working on the new stadium as a labourer.

Well then, why bother with a player having a valid contract or even having the CFL then? Why are we even here discussing football??? Let's just blow the CFL all up because we obviously underpay our players & the league is therefore  a POS.

he'd probably make more this summer working on the new stadium as a labourer.

he's reported to be somewhere in the $60k range... and that was after his bonuses. you get $90k to be on an NFL practice rostr and $400k+ for making the team... there's really no reason for him to risk his likely NFL payday for such a (comparative) pittance.

we had to step up and pay Owens and then Kackert to not go south. but i think it's too late for the TiCats to sign him. bridges were already torched. and he won't want a new deal anyway because the 1+1 minimum could keep him away from the NFL for two seasons... and i don't know if he's willing to take a team's word on a "gentleman's agreement" to release him after one season...

It's been done in the past. He hasn't retired so he is obligated to play. I think financially he'd be on the hook. The one thing I don't want to see are the Ti Cats being the nice guy here & letting him not live up to his obligations as we'll see more of this kind of garbage from players if they do. It will open up a Pandora's Box.

the fact that they were willing to go to arbitration with this tells me that they have no interest in just releasing him so I can see them making him sit out the year just for pure spite. Williams really might have screwed himself over here, once you start throwing up red flags like this teams are a lot less forgiving of **** in the future. 

he's reported to be somewhere in the $60k range... and that was after his bonuses. you get $90k to be on an NFL practice rostr and $400k+ for making the team... there's really no reason for him to risk his likely NFL payday for such a (comparative) pittance.

we had to step up and pay Owens and then Kackert to not go south. but i think it's too late for the TiCats to sign him. bridges were already torched. and he won't want a new deal anyway because the 1+1 minimum could keep him away from the NFL for two seasons... and i don't know if he's willing to take a team's word on a "gentleman's agreement" to release him after one season...

If I recall the ticats were willing to give him a new contract and a bigger payday, but Williams threw the hissy fit about wanting his release so he could go to the NFL or whatever. I would suggest that sitting out might be just as much of a risk to his NFL chances, out of sight out of mind and all that stuff.

If I recall the ticats were willing to give him a new contract and a bigger payday, but Williams threw the hissy fit about wanting his release so he could go to the NFL or whatever. I would suggest that sitting out might be just as much of a risk to his NFL chances, out of sight out of mind and all that stuff.

yeah, it isn't ideal for him... but then, consider that speed and shiftyness are his stock and trade. he won't be risking an ACL, concussion or turf toe by sitting out. some teams may like that he won't have any additional mileage.

never know.

apparently there's more than one team willing to sign him now. i imagine that they'd be willing to bring him to their camps next year i he sat.

Well then, why bother with a player having a valid contract or even having the CFL then? Why are we even here discussing football??? Let's just blow the CFL all up because we obviously underpay our players & the league is therefore  a POS.

yikes - a bit of an over-reaction there - it's 5 pm in Calgary Iso - time to start pouring the Crown Royal eh? ;)

I'm all for teams paying their players what they are worth & would love to see the CFL salary cap go up to $5 million with the new tv deal as the players deserveto be paid much  more... But I'm also not a fan of a player breaching his contract & acting entitled either. In this case, an arbitrator rules against Williams. The Ti cats should do whatever they can legally to make his life uncomfortable to stop more of this kind of thing from happening in the future.Williams threw down the gauntlet. Now, let's see him walk through it.

yikes - a bit of an over-reaction there - it's 5 pm in Calgary Iso - time to start pouring the Crown Royal eh? ;)

No, Captain Morgan actually. The Drink of champions. :) Just a frustrated reaction to what you said about Williams making more money in 2 months working construction. than he could make playing the entire season this year. Our league is better than that...  I bet a lot of non CFL fans or ones that just follow the NFL will be saying just that. In the end, the CFL will get undeservedly bashed for being a cheap league & Williams will be wearing a white hat as the hero of the masses. So, I got a bit pissed off. I'd love to see our players get paid more. We all would. Lord knows they deserve it. But Williams knew what he was signing when he picked up his pen last season or whenever he signed that contract. So, he has to live with it.

I'm all for teams paying their players what they are worth & would love to see the CFL salary cap go up to $5 million with the new tv deal as the players deserveto be paid much  more... But I'm also not a fan of a player breaching his contract & acting entitled either. In this case, an arbitrator rules against Williams. The Ti cats should do whatever they can legally to make his life uncomfortable to stop more of this kind of thing from happening in the future.Williams threw down the gauntlet. Now, let's see him walk through it.

he's only breaching it if he tries to play elsewhere. it's his right to sit.

he's only breaching it if he tries to play elsewhere. it's his right to sit.

No, there's been instances where players were fined daily for missing camp in a contract dispute. Happened in the CFL in the past & in the NHL, NFL, NBA & MLB. Guys wanted their contracts renegotiated & stayed away & teams fined them by the day for not being there. Players can't have their way here... others will try the same crap.

There hasn't been a contract holdout in the CFL for many, many years so it isn't commonplace to see it in the CFL. I remember Dieter Brock having a contract dispute in 1983 with the Bombers where he refused to report to training camp so the Bombers fined him everyday for missing camp. He finally arrived about a week or so  late to avoid the fines but he was not happy &  made it known loud & clear. He was traded to Hamilton just around Labour Day for Tom Clements.

No, rtgere's been instances where players were fined daily for missing camp in a contract dispute. Happened in the CFL in the past & in the NHL, NFL, NBA & MLB. Guys wanted their contracts renegotiated & stayed away & teams fined them by the day for not being there. Players can't have their way here... others will try the same crap.

right... so fine him from money that he isn't trying to collect since he's staying home?

catch my drift?