The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

Just adding to what I was talking about regarding what killed the band scene in Winnipeg. Society had changed. My father liked going to the "beer parlour" after work. The beer parlour had no music at all & women weren't allowed. That changed in the 1950's when women & live music was finally allowed. He never liked music in the pub. His generation grew up with different liquor laws. 

For 20 plus years things stayed the same. Then in the 70's. people wanted the govt to modernize the liquor laws again to allow dancing & taped music. So, taped music was allowed. People liked taped music. There were no breaks after each set like bands would have. The music was continuos for 8 or 9 hours. Also, bars became a place where it was easier to meet the opposite sex so very few people missed the band scene in Winnipeg after the liquor laws changed. Definitely, it was the end of an era. There were still venues in Winnipeg that hired bands but it was tough for bands to find a place to play. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

To me this is their song

to me that song, and especially the intro with the cowbell, is synonymous with a series of Lotto 6/49 ads that used to run in the 90s/00s..... that's definitely showing my (relative) youth a bit, as I don't know that I'd ever actually heard the full song until I worked for a quasi-Classic Rock station in the mid 00s....

Any young guy in the 1970's who went thru a bad breakup could relate to this song. And the Way Myles Goodwin sang this song with such emotion... I broke up with my girlfriend right around when this song came out in 1977. I thought she was the one. That we'd be married & have kids. Lots of pain at the time. Now, I just smile thinking about it & I'm glad I knew her. That she went on & has had a happy life. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Denny Laine, founding member of two iconic rock bands, The Moody Blues and Wings, had passed away at age 79. 

He joined Paul McCartney & Wings as a guitarist in 1972 & was with Paul for years. It was McCartney who founded the band & not Laine. He also had a hit as lead singer with the Moody Blues in 1965 with Go Now when they were a blues band before Justin Hayward & John Lodge joined & changed them into a prog rock band in the late 60's. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2023-12-02 at 9:06 AM, Noeller said:

had a complicated history within the Winnipeg music scene. He just wasn't cut out for life on the road, though they tried a couple times. Originally a Guess Who member (there was short overlap with both he and Burt in the band together) and he did sing leads on their first national single, a cover of "Shakin' All Over". He eventually quit because life on the road just wasn't for him... stayed around Winnipeg teaching music instead. Later, when Randy was regrouping after leaving TGW, and was working on early versions of BTO (Brave Belt, etc) Chad was one of the first to come on board with him... but unfortunately that didn't last either. Regardless, you talk to anyone who was a part of the scene back then (certainly not me... this is a good 15-20 years before I was born, but I've read all the books...) and he was as talented as anyone going at that time. Winnipeg was just a HOT BED of musical talent back in those days...

Dunrobin's Gone (named after the East Kildonan Ave.) which Chad wrote and sang on is always high on my playlist.  We're somewhat related as he was my Aunt's sister's son, real name Allan Kowbel, only met him once at a wedding around 1974, unfortunately I was too young to realize his musical connections at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-12-27 at 10:36 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Tom was always the straight man to his brother ****. I was just a 12 & 13 year old when the Smothers Brothers Comedy Show was on tv. So, a lot of the jokes went over my head but I got it all later. It became an anti war show with a clear message the US needed to withdraw from Viet Nam. How it lasted three years on network tv in the US is amazing. There wasn't a lot of comedy other than Pat Paulsen who was legit funny but even he became political as he ran for President in 1968. Although it was a pantomine as it was part of the show, he still got 200,000 write in votes. . 

10 hours ago, iHeart said:

there are 36 hours and 15 minutes left this year

sometimes I hate the BBC links, but it's about Tom Wilkinson 

Tom Wilkinson: The Full Monty actor dies at 75

Which is why you have the option to replace the URL with text while keeping the link.

Highlight the link (ex. https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65823240) then click the LINK icon above and paste the headline text from the webpage (ex. Tom Wilkinson: The Full Monty actor dies at 75) into the Link text area and Insert into post.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg