Three-peat Kickoff Countdown

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Really no competition at this number except for Gord Rowland. 
6239114.jpg

This guy... I should quote you his post season awards. Very impressive.

1955 WIFU Shrine All Star

1956 WIFU Shrine All Star

1957 WIFU Shrine All Star

1957 WIFU All Star

1958 CFL West All Star

1958 CFL Coaches All Star

1960 CFL West All Star

1961 CFL West All Star

1962 CFL West All Star

1962 CFL All Canadian

1958, 59, 61 & 62 Grey Cup Champion 

1997 Manitobs Sports Hall Of Fame

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Interesting that Hanson is considering life after football. Mauro played well for us I thought and would be a fine replacement imo. I like that they plan to have other kickers in camp if Castillo isn't back. As Noeller said, lots of good tidbits.

Yeah I was surprised at that 

Really surprised about Hansen but what can you do? I was more surprised that the Bombers apparently don't have a lot of interest in Janarion Grant. Walters says Grant talked with Boudreau but he (Walters) hasn't really talked much with Grant or his agent. Curious if they think they have something better coming to camp.... 

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Really surprised about Hansen but what can you do? I was more surprised that the Bombers apparently don't have a lot of interest in Janarion Grant. Walters says Grant talked with Boudreau but he (Walters) hasn't really talked much with Grant or his agent. Curious if they think they have something better coming to camp.... 

How can there be anyone much better? Grant is an elite returner. 

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Walters said he is cautiously optimistic that he's going to return...

He didn't get into why Grant wouldn't come back, but I guess there's no point in Walters getting involved unless he comes to the table.

I see two scenarios:

A. Grant is weighing an "after football" plan 

B. Walters gave him a "best and final" offer and Grant is deciding on if he takes it.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How can there be anyone much better? Grant is an elite returner. 

I don't think he's elite. He is world's better then the rest of the crap we've had for a bit. And he is very good. They probably made a flat offer and are busy with every thing else going on.

No one else is going hard after him either. 

I just think that a returners shelf life is relatively short. You're not gonna have that elite level speed for a long time. There's always a younger faster guy coming up. But if they can get something worked out at a price that makes sense.... Awesome. 

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I don't think he's elite. He is world's better then the rest of the crap we've had for a bit. And he is very good. They probably made a flat offer and are busy with every thing else going on.

No one else is going hard after him either. 

Still 2 months & a bit to training camp. Grant was injured a lot last year so like Harris, maybe the Bombers want to see what's out there first. 

If a player does nothing other than be a returner, I don’t think they could expect to earn much more than the league minimum. Grant never saw the field as a rusher or receiver in his time here. With the cost of keeping the core intact, I would imagine he would be about as low priority as it would get, and I say that knowing how good he was at the return game. One would think as far as replacements go, that position would be one of the easier ones to fill for a cheaper option. 

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If a player does nothing other than be a returner, I don’t think they could expect to earn much more than the league minimum. Grant never saw the field as a rusher or receiver in his time here. With the cost of keeping the core intact, I would imagine he would be about as low priority as it would get, and I say that knowing how good he was at the return game. One would think as far as replacements go, that position would be one of the easier ones to fill for a cheaper option. 

Does no one remember the angst that Charles Nelson caused on this board?

korchak_bud3.jpg

Bud Korchak. Winnipeg born, played with St. John’s and Elmwood before joining the Bombers as a flying wing, 3 time all-star. 

Wanted to go with Bob McNamara, but the only picture I could find of him in a 96 jersey would not load. But he deserves a mention if for nothing else than for holding one of the more unbreakable records in football with a 6 touchdown game against BC. 

Alex Hall also a consideration, now best known for the trade which started our o-line re-build with Pat Neufeld. 

3 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Yes, and like most of the daily angst on this board, it was overblown and sorted itself out by people with more wisdom and control over the situation than us. 

Would love to see Grant back, but if the cost of his return prevents us from signing another receiver or re-upping Castillo, Kongbo, or Desjarlais if they rerun from the NFL, then I am certain our scouts can unearth another cheaper undersized speedster in the vast array of NCAA prospects and O’Shea and company can coach him up on the nuance of the CFL return game. Plus, we have an in-house solution in Demski if pressed. Grant would seem to be low priority in the big picture, and contract talks would seem to reflect that. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Yes, and like most of the daily angst on this board, it was overblown and sorted itself out by people with more wisdom and control over the situation than us. 

Would love to see Grant back, but if the cost of his return prevents us from signing another receiver or re-upping Castillo, Kongbo, or Desjarlais if they rerun from the NFL, then I am certain our scouts can unearth another cheaper undersized speedster in the vast array of NCAA prospects and O’Shea and company can coach him up on the nuance of the CFL return game. Plus, we have an in-house solution in Demski if pressed. Grant would seem to be low priority in the big picture, and contract talks would seem to reflect that. 

Pretty desperate IF we have to use Demski on returns....Not because he can't, it's that he's too valuable and his exposure to injury would be increased exponentially....No to Demski on returns

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

Pretty desperate IF we have to use Demski on returns....Not because he can't, it's that he's too valuable and his exposure to injury would be increased exponentially....No to Demski on returns

Blake Jackson was the toast of tc and on track to Start and has returner stuff. Demski should only return if it's him or a Charles Nelson. 

12 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Qft. But kr is pretty easy to scout too. In the end I think Grant will be back. 

Right now dedmon is the only vet kr worth serious money. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Blake Jackson was the toast of tc and on track to Start and has returner stuff. Demski should only return if it's him or a Charles Nelson. 

Qft. But kr is pretty easy to scout too. In the end I think Grant will be back. 

Right now dedmon is the only vet kr worth serious money. 

Nelson's with Edmonton so that shouldn't be an issue... 

On 2022-03-05 at 9:56 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Lucky Whitehead says hi.