GDT - Week 10 - Elks @ The Champs

JCon

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I was wondering this. I thought they had to kick off to us if we started with a kick off. Didn’t know we had a choice. 

yeah we deferred our pick to the 2nd half then decided to kick off. you virtually never see that. weve done it a few times this year, and i freaking hate it. 

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I was wondering this. I thought they had to kick off to us if we started with a kick off. Didn’t know we had a choice. 

Each team gets a choice for a half.

From initial coin toss the team that wins it can choose in first half or defer to second half.

Choice is direction or ball.  Teams usually choose the wind in the long quarters, 2nd and 4th, which was likely our choice tonight when it was ours, not sure 1st half or 2nd.  Guessing Edmonton took the ball in the 2nd half to try to get on the board.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

See it a lot in Canadian football.  Teams usually choose the wind for the 4th quarter if there is any.

not in the cfl. maybe in HS. its basically a turn over for wind at a different time its a terrible decision. 

that was a great catch by bailey 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

not in the cfl. maybe in HS. its basically a turn over for wind at a different time its a terrible decision. 

that was a great catch by bailey 

Have to ask Steve Daniel but I'd guess that 2/3 times the team with the choice takes an end to get the advantage in the long quarter, 2nd or 4th.  So yeah you see quite a few games with one team receiving both kickoffs in the 1/3 where one team doesn't take an end.