Black Lives Matter

Rich

49 minutes ago, bustamente said:

This open carry law in some of the States is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard, this ain't the wild west even though some are trying to bring it back

Open carry is just a way to show people they are armed & you better not mess with them as they are warriors. The only problem is someday they'll meet someone also with a gun who is more of a warrior than them.... Idaho is an Open Carry State. I was in a Coeur D'Alene service station paying for gas when a young guy walked in with a handgun holstered to his side. He walked around the store making sure everyone saw him  & he had this smirk on his face, probably singing the Bad Boy theme from Cops in his head. Meanwhile, I pay for gas, buy a bottle of wine & I'm asked for ID by the cashier as it is the law. I asked him why he needs to see my ID as I haven't seen 21  since 1976 & my grey hair & beard should have given away the fact I was at least in my 50's. He said he could be fined or go to jail if he doesn't ask. Those are some kind of ****** up government priorities as the dude with the gun could start shooting for no reason. Yet the State of Idaho is doing its Due Dilligence keeping underage drinkers from behind the wheel. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

In fairness those three countries are incredibly rich and have way less crime and population of the States.

Why not post about the Philippines with 7000 murders by police in the last six months.

Those countries are not incredibly rich. Norway was smart enough to invest the oil revenues while keeping taxes relatively high. The USA leads the world in personal incomes, but that has not translated into happiness.

You just have to look at America's affinity with the Wild West & Civil war movies to understand why they like guns so much.  Unlike Canada, the gun is part of their history through their War of Independence & Civil War right up to the taming of the West & then in the 1930's with the gangsters in Chicago & New York. The gun is then glorified with 2 World Wars, the Korean, Viet Nam & Gulf Wars. To a lot of Americans the gun is part of Americana like picnics & apple pie. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Are the Philippines the bar we want to set for the richest country in the world?

I'm glad you completely missed the point that higher poverty equals higher crime.   Do you really think of all the crimes and police shootings involve the wealthier people in the States?  

Norway, Germany and Finland are utopias in the world...  the standard of living and quality of life is way higher then the States.   

I'm glad you completely missed the point that higher poverty equals higher crime.   Do you really think of all the crimes and police shootings involve the wealthier people in the States?  

Norway, Germany and Finland are utopias in the world...  the standard of living and quality of life is way higher then the States.   

OK but you're missing the point that the richest country in the world doesn't need to have the poverty and militarised police... 

No reason the US can't be a utopia the any of those other countries. But hey if it's unfair to compare the USA to other first world countries have at er. I realize you are keen on defending the police right now, but you aren't looking at the big picture. 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

OK but you're missing the point that the richest country in the world doesn't need to have the poverty and militarised police... 

No reason the US can't be a utopia the any of those other countries. But hey if it's unfair to compare the USA to other first world countries have at er. I realize you are keen on defending the police right now, but you aren't looking at the big picture. 

I think you are greatly confused,  I assume you forgot the We are the 99% movement?  

Also Norway and Finland with populations of 5 million is a bit more different then a country of 330 million people covering a way larger area of land. 

The best the States can do is standardize policing across the board (maybe form an equivalent of the RCMP for down south).    But to think that society will be peaceful and at a quality of living similar to Finland is a pipe dream.   Not happening and I don't see communism coming to the States any time soon.  

So who is the 2nd richest country in the world and how is that country dealing with it's policing.....  

Texas police fact-check Tucker Carlson’s ‘gross mischaracterization’ of Black Lives Matter protest

Fox News host Tucker McNair Swanson Carlson kicked off his primetime program Monday with a monologue about a protest in Texas, which was so ridded with inaccuracies that the Fort Worth Police Department felt compelled to issue its own fact-check.

In a lengthy diatribe, Carlson conceded that Black Lives Matter was more popular than President Donald Trump by 20 points and claimed that the mantra was “the entire premise behind our founding documents.” However, those documents literally said black lives mattered three-fifths as much as those of landowners who were free, male and white.

https://www.alternet.org/2020/06/texas-police-fact-check-tucker-carlsons-gross-mischaracterization-of-black-lives-matter-protest/

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

That's fine, if you want to make excuses, but the USA could be better, they are choosing not to be.

Squandered every advantage they had. Their **** policing is part of their overall poor policy choices. Population, poverty, area, these are all just excuses. America chose this path throughout the years. 

I didn't make excuses,  I merely pointed out that it's not a fair comparison.   It's much easier having less violence and crime when nearly everyone is living above average life styles and have no reason to go to a life of crime.  It's not like the country is all about giving hand outs either,  they are highly educated.  

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I didn't make excuses,  I merely pointed out that it's not a fair comparison.   It's much easier having less violence and crime when nearly everyone is living above average life styles and have no reason to go to a life of crime.  It's not like the country is all about giving hand outs either,  they are highly educated.  

No, it's a completely fair comparison.  Germany has an enormous population relative to their land mass.  They have high numbers of immigrants and refugees - they are a cultural melting pot. The U.S. has the affluence to be more successful, but too much money is flowing to the top. 

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You just have to look at America's affinity with the Wild West & Civil war movies to understand why they like guns so much.  Unlike Canada, the gun is part of their history through their War of Independence & Civil War right up to the taming of the West & then in the 1930's with the gangsters in Chicago & New York. The gun is then glorified with 2 World Wars, the Korean, Viet Nam & Gulf Wars. To a lot of Americans the gun is part of Americana like picnics & apple pie. 

In Canada, we value beaver.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Almost time to retitle this thread Racism in America and or Black Lives Matter

On a related note...

The NFL's Chargers are going to bring in Colin Kaepernick for a workout.

A sop probably initiated by the league and will probably lead to nothing. He's been out of football for what-4 years?

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

A sop probably initiated by the league and will probably lead to nothing. He's been out of football for what-4 years?

Chargers had such troubles generating any interest in the team last year that they had "home" games where the opposing teams were cheered louder then them.  This is 100% of them trying to get any sort of publicity.  Shame on them.  

For a football move he's been out of football for 4 years....  was 1 - 10 in his last season and was benched for Blaine Gabbert.  He was in bad favour with the club his last 3 seasons with them because he was uncoachable and was apparently very lazy (film studies, practice, game plans).    The guy had great athletic ability but that's about it. 

He should of been given a chance 4 years ago (as a back up) similar to Vick to give him a chance for redemption.  But it's been so long now that this is silly. 

California Police Investigating Nooses Found In Public Park As A Hate Crime
Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf dismissed the idea that the ropes were meant to be used as exercise equipment.

Multiple nooses were found hanging from tree branches at a public park in Oakland, California, the city’s mayor confirmed Wednesday, as Americans continue to wrestle with issues of racial inequality brought into sharper focus by recent civil rights protests.  Oakland police are currently investigating the incident as a hate crime.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/oakland-california-lake-merritt-nooses_n_5eea69a6c5b6d4397ade4ea2?ri18n=true

For a football move he's been out of football for 4 years....  was 1 - 10 in his last season and was benched for Blaine Gabbert.  He was in bad favour with the club his last 3 seasons with them because he was uncoachable and was apparently very lazy (film studies, practice, game plans).    The guy had great athletic ability but that's about it. 

He should of been given a chance 4 years ago (as a back up) similar to Vick to give him a chance for redemption.  But it's been so long now that this is silly. 

Let him compete. if he can get the job, let him have the job- I fail to see how this is silly. 

50 minutes ago, Tracker said:

California Police Investigating Nooses Found In Public Park As A Hate Crime
Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf dismissed the idea that the ropes were meant to be used as exercise equipment.

Multiple nooses were found hanging from tree branches at a public park in Oakland, California, the city’s mayor confirmed Wednesday, as Americans continue to wrestle with issues of racial inequality brought into sharper focus by recent civil rights protests.  Oakland police are currently investigating the incident as a hate crime.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/oakland-california-lake-merritt-nooses_n_5eea69a6c5b6d4397ade4ea2?ri18n=true

Racism is absolutely an issue in Canada... and we need to do better...

but for those people who say we are no better than the states... I mean modern day lynchings and KKK cops... cmon.