Covid-19

JCon

heh.... those posts made me laugh, but I do enjoy Bart. His "Day Tripper's Guide To Manitoba" is a great read that I re-read once every year. Last year I did an interview with him for a story on Bombers fans in Alberta during GC week. He was a good dude....but I get where the "condescending" stuff comes from. Ha ha. Bit of a hipster, that guy...

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

heh.... those posts made me laugh, but I do enjoy Bart. His "Day Tripper's Guide To Manitoba" is a great read that I re-read once every year. Last year I did an interview with him for a story on Bombers fans in Alberta during GC week. He was a good dude....but I get where the "condescending" stuff comes from. Ha ha. Bit of a hipster, that guy...

Nah, he's great, just comes across as a bit uppity. 

FYI: On CBC evening news, the premier's claim was challenged on the timeline when the Calgary vaccine will be available. The immunologist interviewed stated that the end of the year was a much more realistic goal for a company that has never produced a vaccine of any sort before.

The Vaccines Are More Effective Than You Think, Even With Those Variants Looming

Even against the deadly South African variant, the vaccines are having an impact, White House COVID adviser Andy Slavitt says.

“I was under the impression coming in—as many, many Americans were—that there were big stockpiles of vaccines waiting to go out the door that were produced over the course of the last year. It's been much, much less the case than I think we'd been led to believe,” the White House senior adviser for COVID response tells Molly Jong-Fast and Jesse Cannon on the latest episode of The New Abnormal.

The Vaccines Are More Effective Than You Think, Even With Those Variants Looming (thedailybeast.com)

Pfizer Says Its Vaccine No Longer Needs to Be Stored in Ultra-Freezing Temperatures

One big problem with the BioNTech/Pfizer coronavirus vaccine was that it had to be kept at ultra-low temperatures to stop it from spoiling—but its manufacturers say that’s no longer the case. According to the Financial Times, the companies have discovered that the shots can now be safely stored in regular medical freezers, rather than ultra-cold storage units that kept the vaccines at temperatures “colder than an Antarctic winter.” In a statement, BioNTech/Pfizer said the vaccine can be kept for up to two weeks in temperatures between minus 15C to minus 25C—before now, it had to be kept between minus 60C and minus 80C. Ugur Sahin, BioNTech’s chief executive, said the discovery will give vaccination centers “greater flexibility,” especially in harder-to-reach rural areas. The new data has been submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Edited by Tracker

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

The Vaccines Are More Effective Than You Think, Even With Those Variants Looming

Even against the deadly South African variant, the vaccines are having an impact, White House COVID adviser Andy Slavitt says.

“I was under the impression coming in—as many, many Americans were—that there were big stockpiles of vaccines waiting to go out the door that were produced over the course of the last year. It's been much, much less the case than I think we'd been led to believe,” the White House senior adviser for COVID response tells Molly Jong-Fast and Jesse Cannon on the latest episode of The New Abnormal.

The Vaccines Are More Effective Than You Think, Even With Those Variants Looming (thedailybeast.com)

Pfizer Says Its Vaccine No Longer Needs to Be Stored in Ultra-Freezing Temperatures

One big problem with the BioNTech/Pfizer coronavirus vaccine was that it had to be kept at ultra-low temperatures to stop it from spoiling—but its manufacturers say that’s no longer the case. According to the Financial Times, the companies have discovered that the shots can now be safely stored in regular medical freezers, rather than ultra-cold storage units that kept the vaccines at temperatures “colder than an Antarctic winter.” In a statement, BioNTech/Pfizer said the vaccine can be kept for up to two weeks in temperatures between minus 15C to minus 25C—before now, it had to be kept between minus 60C and minus 80C. Ugur Sahin, BioNTech’s chief executive, said the discovery will give vaccination centers “greater flexibility,” especially in harder-to-reach rural areas. The new data has been submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

I guess the Health Canada would have to approve this before they are able to do this on the ground

NEW Last updated: February 19, 2021

Public health officials advise two additional deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today:

• a male in his 80s from the Winnipeg health region; and
  • a female in her 90s from the Winnipeg health region, linked to the outbreak at Golden Links Lodge.

The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 5.7 per cent provincially and 4.2 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 92 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, two cases have been removed due to a data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 90 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 31,235.

Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.

Today’s COVID-19 data shows:

• two cases in Interlake-Eastern health region;
  • 50 cases in the Northern health region; 
  • three cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region; 
  • two cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and 
  • 35 cases in the Winnipeg health region.

Additionally, public health officials are announcing three confirmed cases to be a result of the B.117 COVID-19 variant of concern have been detected. This is the variant first identified in the United Kingdom. The cases are all related to international travel and the individuals has since recovered. Any additional information will be provided as investigations continue. This brings the total number of variants of concern cases in Manitoba to four.

The data also shows:

• 1,169 active cases and 29,187 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
  • 80 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 133 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 213 hospitalizations;
  • 12 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 15 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care for a total of 27 ICU patients; and
  • the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 879. Due to a data correction, one death that had been reported earlier has been removed.

Laboratory testing numbers show 2,389 tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 508,900.