2020 Thread

ALuCsRED

1. They need all 9 teams to be committed to playing.

2. The fans in the stands question is impossible to answer right now. Hopefully they'll be a vaccine and some way to verify that fans have been vaccinated. If not, hopefully a spit test you can get the results in minutes while standing in line. If not, then social distancing and reduced number of fans, which will likely kill the gate driven league anyway.

3 & 4. The CFL and the CFLPA will have a hard time coming to any agreement on contract issues. Personally, I don't see any reason to renegotiate the terms if all 9 teams are playing and they can have full stadiums. Otherwise, owners will want to pay less and players will want to make more.

5. It's non issue that will be handled internally. Players will be signed and re-signed. Bonuses will be paid. This years money is already spent and on a different years SMS.

6. Internationals is a who cares too. They should be included in the SMS, but they don't cost much anyway. Bigger question is are they going to even be allowed to travel to Canada and no one can answer that yet.

Story out that the RedBlacks are negotiating a new contract for Marcel Desjardins. They have no money to pay scouts expenses or the players but they have money for greedy GMs that need to get paid. What a slap in the face to fans across the league who have to endure a damned shutdown with no plans (so far) for 2021.  NO ONE. Absolutely NO ONE should get a new contract until the turkeys who run things decide there'll be a season & commit to it. Desjardins should wait like everyone else. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

50 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Story out that the RedBlacks are negotiating a new contract for Marcel Desjardins. They have no money to pay scouts expenses or the players but they have money for greedy GMs that need to get paid. What a slap in the face to fans across the league who have to endure a damned shutdown with no plans (so far) for 2021.  NO ONE. Absolutely NO ONE should get a new contract until the turkeys who run things decide there'll be a season & commit to it. Desjardins should wait like everyone else. 

Well I mean... Paying a GM is a pretty bare bones thing to do if you're going to have a season anytime soon. Does it say that they're giving him a pay raise? I highly doubt that's the case

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

Well I mean... Paying a GM is a pretty bare bones thing to do if you're going to have a season anytime soon. Does it say that they're giving him a pay raise? I highly doubt that's the case

He'll get a pay raise. They always do. Still, the optics of negotiating a new contract while others get nothing & the league shut down isn't good. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He'll get a pay raise. They always do. Still, the optics of negotiating a new contract while others get nothing & the league shut down isn't good. 

Could be right about the pay raise. Maybe not. Optics would probably be worse if a team didn't have a general manager. It still has to look like we're playing next year.

14 hours ago, BBlink said:

Could be right about the pay raise. Maybe not. Optics would probably be worse if a team didn't have a general manager. It still has to look like we're playing next year.

Where is he going to go? Working under the terms of his current contract even if it expires would be the best way to handle this. Plenty of union workers continue to work under the terms of their old contract if it expires. Under the circumstances, he can just keep on working as he won't go anywhere. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Where is he going to go? Working under the terms of his current contract even if it expires would be the best way to handle this. Plenty of union workers continue to work under the terms of their old contract if it expires. Under the circumstances, he can just keep on working as he won't go anywhere. 

His contract expires in December. I can't see why he would work without a contract. Can't say I know much about union workers, but I'm not sure what the big deal is about negotiating a new contract. Things are not status quo so I could see why both parties would want to be clear about what they are signing up for.

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

His contract expires in December. I can't see why he would work without a contract. Can't say I know much about union workers, but I'm not sure what the big deal is about negotiating a new contract. Things are not status quo so I could see why both parties would want to be clear about what they are signing up for.

Brad Fotty just got let go by the Bombers. Dwayne Mandrusiak in Edmonton. People are still losing their jobs in the CFL & Ottawa throws money at Desjardins? Yeah, I see a big problem with that, He wants to be GM then let him work under the terms of his old deal until the league decides they'll play. Otherwise let him go somewhere else & he can be a GM in... in... in...???

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Brad Fotty just got let go by the Bombers. Dwayne Mandrusiak in Edmonton. People are still losing their jobs in the CFL & Ottawa throws money at Desjardins? Yeah, I see a big problem with that, He wants to be GM then let him work under the terms of his old deal until the league decides they'll play. Otherwise let him go somewhere else & he can be a GM in... in... in...???

Your idea is to have a disgruntled GM in charge of a team and to tell him he can take it or leave it? Sounds like a horrible way to do business to me.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Brad Fotty just got let go by the Bombers. Dwayne Mandrusiak in Edmonton. People are still losing their jobs & Ottawa throws money at Desjardins? Yeah, I see a big problem with that, He wants to be GM then let him work under the terms of his old deal until the league decides they'll play. Otherwise let him go somewhere else & he can be a GM in... in... in...???

You have no idea the money involved in the contract. So why exaggerate? 

The team is looking for a commitment to run the team during very uncertain times. One of the only positions you are getting value from right now.

You're right that there likely aren't many GM jobs out there. But on the other hand, who is going to come in and do as good a job as Desjardins? Do you think Desjardins can't find a steady job elsewhere? Maybe it won't be the GM of a football team but he will likely land on his feet.

How can you justify paying equipment managers right now anyways? I think even the equipment managers are going to understand that. And they've been collecting a paycheck up until now.

1 minute ago, BBlink said:

You have no idea the money involved in the contract. So why exaggerate? 

The team is looking for a commitment to run the team during very uncertain times. One of the only positions you are getting value from right now.

You're right that there likely aren't many GM jobs out there. But on the other hand, who is going to come in and do as good a job as Desjardins? Do you think Desjardins can't find a steady job elsewhere? Maybe it won't be the GM of a football team but he will likely land on his feet.

How can you justify paying equipment managers right now anyways? I think even the equipment managers are going to understand that. And they've been collecting a paycheck up until now.

Sorry, I don't agree. With everything in limbo, I don't think GMs have a lot to do right now anyway. Just like equipment managers. To me, just me... Othere may not agree like you & that's okay... But to me, it looks like a greedy cash grab at the wrong time. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

The GMs have the MOST to do, relatively speaking. In terms of keeping the team managed during this pause, it's all on them. In terms of the Bombers, it's Miller and Walters with the two biggest jobs while everything is on hold. 

What big jobs exactly? The League is on hold. People are being laid off & not being hired. No one is signing any free agents while the CFL is in limbo with no plan presented going forward. Players who haven't opted out of their contracts will come back next season (if the teams play) but aren't being paid now. I guess in today's CFL, counting paper clips is a big job. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What big jobs exactly? The League is on hold. People are being laid off & not being hired. No one is signing any free agents while the CFL is in limbo with no plan presented going forward. Players who haven't opted out of their contracts will come back next season (if the teams play) but aren't being paid now. I guess in today's CFL, counting paper clips is a big job. 

You think management league-wide are sitting on their hands doing nothing just waiting for things to blow over?

Think again

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess in today's CFL, counting paper clips is a big job.

I don’t agree. I think taking care of the stadium alone requires a great deal of attention and keeping in line the debt issue and revenue streams? That doesn’t go away. As for Walters, he’s not in his office kicking up his heels on his desk.

The Bombers, in one way or another, have to keep track of well over 100 players I would think, where they are, what they’re doing in sports or just keeping ready. 
We released a whole bevy of players. Where are they? How are they doing? Are they interested in coming back should there be a season. If not, who are the potential replacements? 
Other leagues are playing. Someone has to look into that. Contracts are going to be expiring, who’s going to look into that part?

Then there’s the Player's agreement. Just because we don’t hear about it it doesn’t mean some aren’t trying to figure out the next steps. It’s not going to be easy. It will take a lot of give and take.

Are we going to have to rebuild the team? Or fill in holes? 
Sure, there’s not much they can do right now but if they don’t keep on top of matters, well, I don’t think I have to tell you what will happen.

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How about working on roster and team building for whenever the league starts back up? You stop doing that you are sunk when play does resume.