NFL thread

The Zipp

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We don't know what happened. 

Nope. We don't and can't say for sure. 

Off topic, but it was early April of 2022 when I read an article which cited 769 athletes who collapsed during competitions from March of 2021 to March of 2022. It found that the average age of cardiac arrest was 23. Weird.

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Nope. We don't and can't say for sure. 

Off topic, but it was early April of 2022 when I read an article which cited 769 athletes who collapsed during competitions from March of 2021 to March of 2022. It found that the average age of cardiac arrest was 23. Weird.

There is pretty good evidence that significant steroid usage during the teen years when bodies are going through massive hormonal and muscular changes can produce enlarged and/or weakened hearts in otherwise healthy young adults. We will probably never know if this is the case here, 

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

There is pretty good evidence that significant steroid usage during the teen years when bodies are going through massive hormonal and muscular changes can produce enlarged and/or weakened hearts in otherwise healthy young adults. We will probably never know if this is the case here, 

I remember reading a paper about cardiac issues in young athletes back in 2018 I believe. I can't find it now, so maybe it's been retracted. But it talked a lot about this. Essentially young men pushing themselves to such extremes that they were causing damage.

Young Men, especially athletes, having cardiac issues is not a new phenomenon. It's increased over the course of the past 20 years or so when athletes needed to be training harder and harder, younger and younger.

51 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I remember reading a paper about cardiac issues in young athletes back in 2018 I believe. I can't find it now, so maybe it's been retracted. But it talked a lot about this. Essentially young men pushing themselves to such extremes that they were causing damage.

Young Men, especially athletes, having cardiac issues is not a new phenomenon. It's increased over the course of the past  or three weeks 20 years or so when athletes needed to be training harder and harder, younger and younger.

The probability is that the blunt-force impact to the chest caused his heart to fibrilate- that is, stop pulsing in a regular heartbeat and essentially shiver. The AED shocks the heart out of its shivering (sort of a heard reboot) and give it chance to resume its regular pumping. We were told the magic number is 3- three minutes without oxygenated blood reaching the brain and other vital organs, three days without water, or three weeks without food and you are irrevocably damaged or dead. It may all come down to how soon the AED was applied and how soon and consistently the CPR was done. 

For something that I have seen people say that it would be improper to speculate about a possible cause for... I've seen a lot of speculation.

Also, it wasn't a big hit. Pretty minor one. Not sure if that changes the commotio cordis  hypothesis at all.

If not and getting hit in the chest is potentially fatal, I'd guess that suspending the NFL, CFL, NHL and MLB is the only way to go forward. 

1 minute ago, bluto said:

For something that I have seen people say that it would be improper to speculate about a possible cause for... I've seen a lot of speculation.

Also, it wasn't a big hit. Pretty minor one. Not sure if that changes the commotio cordis  hypothesis at all.

If not and getting hit in the chest is potentially fatal, I'd guess that suspending the NFL, CFL, NHL and MLB is the only way to go forward. 

I thought he fell on the guys helmet on his chest too. I figured that likely played a larger roll than the initial hit. Cause you're right, the hit didn't look all that bad/hard.

Also, every athlete knows the risk better than we do. Those leagues will not be suspended because of this.

7 hours ago, bluto said:

Making players wear proper protection, that is properly sized pads & getting away from undersized pads to show off their tatts & muscles maybe this wouldn't have happened. Oh yeah & making sure helmets are properly inflated & can't be put on or taken off like they were baseball caps would be a start. 

Gaslighting Tucker Carlson says 'witch doctors' are 'lying' about NFL player Damar Hamlin's injuries

Fox News host Tucker Carlson dedicated a segment of his Tuesday night show to gaslight his audience about the on-field injuries sustained by Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin during a Monday Night Football game against the Cincinnati Bengals

On Tuesday evening, Doctor Manohar Anigrekula, a cardiologist at Medical Healthcare System's ProCare Odessa Heart Institute in Texas, told Midland NBC affiliate NewsWest9 that Hamlin likely experienced an exceedingly rare condition called Commotio Cordis, which results from blunt force trauma to the heart.

Carlson, however, put forth an entirely different narrative that Hamlin is actually a victim of a COVID-19 vaccine. Carlson's baseless hypothesis is especially egregious – not only because it was promulgated without confirmation of Hamlin's vaccination status – but also due to Carlson's allegations that "many others" were peddling "propaganda" about what happened to Hamlin.

"What don't we know? Well, what we don't know could fill volumes, starting with why Damar Hamlin had a heart attack on a football field. We do not know the answer, and there is no way to know the answer. We're not going to lie to you and pretend we do know the answer, but that has not stopped many others from lying to you," Carlson said.

"Hamlin was still lying on the field receiving CPR when self-described medical experts in the media people with no demonstrated medical ethics at all, effectively witch doctors decided to use his tragic, life-threatening injuries as an opportunity to spread still more propaganda about the COVID shots. It could not have been the shot. They told you, 'shut up.' But they're lying," Carlson added. "They don't know that. They don't know anything more than we know, which is effectively nothing. We can't say it was the shot. We can't say it wasn't the shot. We don't know whether he got the shot. We don't know, and neither do they. So why are they telling you they know something they don't? Well, it's not the first time, of course."

https://www.alternet.org/tucker-carlson-gaslighting-witch-doctors/

Edited by Tracker

Green Bay Packers' Quay Walker Ejected Again For Bizarre On-Field Act

Green Bay Packers linebacker Quay Walker needs to stop shoving guys who aren’t even wearing shoulder pads.

The rookie on Sunday pushed a Detroit Lions medical staffer coming to the aid of an injured player, and was ejected.

The Lions’ D’Andre Swift had caught a short pass and appeared to be struck in the head. Detroit staffers came onto the field to treat Swift, and Walker inexplicably pushed one of them from behind.
He was thrown out of the game and assessed an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The Lions continued their drive and eventually scored a touchdown for a 20-16 comeback victory to eliminate host Green Bay from the upcoming playoffs.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Watched it live last night... that may have been the dumbest penalty ever taken at the worst time ever.  Worst part is that it was his 2nd time he was kicked out of a game for hitting an official.   

Watching Walker crying while walking to the locker room asking himself how he could be so stupid was worth it for me. The problem is that these pro athletes are so damned entitled thinking they can behave whatever the way they want is the problem. If I was Matt LeFleur, he's cut the next day. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Watching Walker crying while walking to the locker room asking himself how he could be so stupid was worth it for me. The problem is that these pro athletes are so damned entitled thinking they can behave whatever the way they want is the problem. If I was Matt LeFleur, he's cut the next day. 

Cut by the Packers and then signed by the Riders in record time?