Laine comments

Old Bomber Fan

Just read a report of laine’s Comments while in Finland. Just goes to show the type of player he is....selfish and only interested in himself! A one way hockey player who doesn’t understand team responsibilities and what it means to be a two way player. By the sounds of it he doesn’t want to play in Winnipeg and figures he knows better than anyone else where he should play. Reminds me of his comment when Matthews was selected first and him second. Get rid of the guy he is a detriment to the team...good bye as fast as you can

I think Wheeler's comments are more interesting:

Blake Wheeler on Patrik Laine: "I think he’s a young kid that’s certainly had a lot of success in 3 years. He’s definitely not doing it by himself, I can guarantee you that. It’s a great trait to have, to want more, to want more ice time, more playing time." WFP

Sort of balancing the 'your success aint all you kid' with 'good for you kid, like the confidence, you've shown a lot'.

Right or not it’s a shot a Little...  just a dumb comment - like how does his buddy’s Ehlers feel now 

Laine dogs it getting back to his zone  - he really is the next Ovi - will take him a long time to learn not to play selfish hockey...

three years at 5-6 is all he’s worth right now

19 hours ago, Floyd said:

Right or not it’s a shot a Little...  just a dumb comment - like how does his buddy’s Ehlers feel now 

Laine dogs it getting back to his zone  - he really is the next Ovi - will take him a long time to learn not to play selfish hockey...

three years at 5-6 is all he’s worth right now

Jalonen made the remark about Little. 

and he had last year and previous years been the worst plus/minus on the team...last year by double the next lowest. Further close to half his goals and point come on the power play....Year after year. Now that teams know wheeler is looking for him guess what happens...his goals go down. And yes he hasn’t done it on his own far from it the other 4 on the ice work their butts off so he can lollygog his way back into his own end and slam his stick on the ice when the other team scores. Think we have to call it what it is lazy self centered one dimensional player who at best gets a bridge deal to show if he has learned after 5 years in the league then get rid of him because he won’t learn anything

5 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

and he had last year and previous years been the worst plus/minus on the team...last year by double the next lowest. Further close to half his goals and point come on the power play....Year after year. Now that teams know wheeler is looking for him guess what happens...his goals go down. And yes he hasn’t done it on his own far from it the other 4 on the ice work their butts off so he can lollygog his way back into his own end and slam his stick on the ice when the other team scores. Think we have to call it what it is lazy self centered one dimensional player who at best gets a bridge deal to show if he has learned after 5 years in the league then get rid of him because he won’t learn anything

Guy still scores 30 goals on a "down" year. Who cares when he scores them, power play or not. Can't replace goal scorers with the likes of Tanev. 

10 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

What a trash comment. Here's an idea: next time you want to share your lame opinions and **** all over a 21-year old who's already more accomplished than you have at whatever age you are, do yourself and the rest of us a favour and don't.

11 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

In his rookie season he was 4th best +/-  and two seasons ago he was middle of the pack with a +8.     

you know Bomber Ball  You don't seem to be able to handle other people's opinions that might be contradictory to yours. That is too bad as you will never grow up being like that. I totally understand that others do not possess the same opinions as I do however I thought this was an opinion chat forum where people could post their opinions without personal acts such as those you have displayed here. My personal opinion regardless of what you think is he is not worth the time and effort and has demonstrated "his" style ever since he started in hockey and that is from a reputable source. Whether you agree or not is your's to own and one would hope that should you disagree, which you obviously do, that you could articulate your thoughts in a more constructive meaningful way. Guess you haven't got there yet.

2 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

you know Bomber Ball  You don't seem to be able to handle other people's opinions that might be contradictory to yours. That is too bad as you will never grow up being like that. I totally understand that others do not possess the same opinions as I do however I thought this was an opinion chat forum where people could post their opinions without personal acts such as those you have displayed here. My personal opinion regardless of what you think is he is not worth the time and effort and has demonstrated "his" style ever since he started in hockey and that is from a reputable source. Whether you agree or not is your's to own and one would hope that should you disagree, which you obviously do, that you could articulate your thoughts in a more constructive meaningful way. Guess you haven't got there yet.

You opinion should be based on facts. eg. the plus, minus stats.  If it isn't, prepare to be called out.

In my opinion, yes, Laine could be a better two way hockey player.  However, if you don't have guys with good hands around the net, you will have a team that works their tails off to earn a .500 record and usually doesn't make it past the first round of the playoffs.  A team with solid scoring talent can be off their game in the first and/or second period but still come out with a win, simply because they can put the puck in the net.  Over a grueling 84 game schedule, that is crucial.

Mark I appreciate your comment and I may have been off on his second year stats. The point I was making is he is progressing downward not upward. The majority of his goals and points, I believe come on the power play, he has a reputation from a youngster to the pros of being for myself first and the team second...he even announced it loud and clear when drafted second to Matthews.

of course you need goal scores on your team but i would certain argue that a team of 17 players playing for one another rather than a team of 17 players playing for themselves will always prevail over the latter. I can’t help but believe and I have been in many “rooms” that a person displaying the me first attitude that Laine has is a blister under the skin that grows until it bursts. Perhaps that what we saw last spring who knows. I do know that no one in that room is going to wash dirty laundry outside of it. Just my opinion I will also go out on a limb and say he will sign a bridge deal for 2 years at around 6.5 while Connor will sign for 6 years at 7 per year. After two years or sooner Laine will be traded. Just my thoughts right or wrong

On 2019-09-21 at 12:03 PM, Old Bomber Fan said:

Actually, I'm completely fine with someone having an opinion that differs from mine.  Not sure I even stated my opinion about Laine, in this thread.  And I certainly didn't 'attack' you personally.  I was simply implying that you could maybe relax a bit.... And this post demonstrates that I may have been on to something.

10 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Mark I appreciate your comment and I may have been off on his second year stats. The point I was making is he is progressing downward not upward. The majority of his goals and points, I believe come on the power play, he has a reputation from a youngster to the pros of being for myself first and the team second...he even announced it loud and clear when drafted second to Matthews.

of course you need goal scores on your team but i would certain argue that a team of 17 players playing for one another rather than a team of 17 players playing for themselves will always prevail over the latter. I can’t help but believe and I have been in many “rooms” that a person displaying the me first attitude that Laine has is a blister under the skin that grows until it bursts. Perhaps that what we saw last spring who knows. I do know that no one in that room is going to wash dirty laundry outside of it. Just my opinion I will also go out on a limb and say he will sign a bridge deal for 2 years at around 6.5 while Connor will sign for 6 years at 7 per year. After two years or sooner Laine will be traded. Just my thoughts right or wrong

It is beyond irritating to read comments like these. And that's literally all you've done in this useless thread you made. You whine about others who criticize your ignorant opinions (nobody's attacked you, BTW), but you have absolutely zero issue actually attacking a 21-year old. What a petulant double standard.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lainepa01.html (do yourself a favour and look up actual stats)

Laine has scored 110 goals since his rookie season. Of those, 66 are even strength, 44 are with the man advantage. So, no, the majority of his goals have not come on the powerplay. In fact, last season was the first time where his EV goals and PP goals were even at 15 apiece. His assists also follow a similar trend: of his 74 total assists, 50 are at even strength, 24 are with the man advantage. You and other similarly out-to-lunch fans parade his +/- as some trump card to justify your clueless, one-sided views, while flat out ignoring the more important stats. Little was -12 last season. Connor was -7 last season. Where's your irrational hatred for either of them?

Laine having confidence in his ability does not mean he's a me first, team second player. I remember when this same label was erroneously placed on a young Alexander Ovechkin; we all know what he's managed to accomplish since then. Unless you have some actual evidence to prove your lame assertion, you're spewing nonsense based on what's ostensibly nothing more than an emotionally-fueled dislike for him. So, you shouldn't be surprised, much less insulted, others can't take your views on him seriously.

And then you try and say he's why the team struggled down the stretch and into the playoffs - against the eventual champs, no less. That's garbage. If one player's struggles are why a team failed for nearly 1/3 of the season, that says more about the team's identity than anything else. But had you actually watched the Jets after the all-star break, you'd have seen reality for what it was: an entire team struggling with consistency, discipline, and poor play in its collective game - from top to bottom, up front to the back end. Take a look at the whole picture instead of singling out an individual.

Your opinion on this matter is ****. Utter ****.

It is interesting that last year it was Goalie I believe (?) who first mentioned the locker room split between Scheif/Wheels and the 'young guys' which now seems to be Laine and Trouba... (?). I think almost all of us dismissed that...  he did blame it on Scheif and Wheeler though ha

Don't think there's much argument that Laine was checked out in the second half of the season and it did affect the team...  not fully sure of the reasons but you can't just outright dismiss the Laine attitude talk as 'outrageous' - and yeah I don't want to wait 10 years for Laine to find his form like Ovie did ha...

Regardless, Ehlers looks like he busted his over the summer and has upped his game - hopefully he's found his scoring touch...  Copp and Roslo seem ready for the next step - I think Connor and Laine sitting out for a while might not be bad for this team at all...

That being said, please come back Buff - this D line up looks horrendous