CFL Week 1 Takeaways

I would rather live a decade with Mike Kelly as the Bomber coach than a single season with Tim Burke.

That 2009 team beat some quality teams and at his best Bishop was electrifying -- he had a couple 400+ yard games down the stretch where he was hurling the ball all over the damn field and simply couldn't be stopped. Plus you had the big Fred Reid game in there too. 

Sure Kelly was a psycho but his teams put up a fight, unlike Burke's.

On ‎2019‎-‎06‎-‎16 at 12:58 PM, rebusrankin said:

Rider Defence looked better than I thought.

Calgary-This may be the year we've all waited for since 2008.

Edmonton-Good offense/Bad Defence

Montreal-I feel bad for Khari.

TSN-Needs to fire Rod Black. Guy is useless. Need to improve their telecasts. FYI TSN Nobody gives a **** about the Outrageous Burger or Bennevides and Forde's eating habits.

That was just embarrassingly bad.

9 minutes ago, johnzo said:

That 2009 team beat some quality teams and at his best Bishop was electrifying -- he had a couple 400+ yard games down the stretch where he was hurling the ball all over the damn field and simply couldn't be stopped. 

I was at Bishop’s first practice - hell of a practice QB.

24 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I would rather live a decade with Mike Kelly as the Bomber coach than a single season with Tim Burke.

That 2009 team beat some quality teams and at his best Bishop was electrifying -- he had a couple 400+ yard games down the stretch where he was hurling the ball all over the damn field and simply couldn't be stopped. Plus you had the big Fred Reid game in there too. 

Sure Kelly was a psycho but his teams put up a fight, unlike Burke's.

Well, bad is bad period, and only thing looking back on those days whether it was Reinbold, Daley, Kelly or Burke is make me happy someone finally wised up, brought in Wade Miller and set the rest of the change in motion.

I know nobody likes rebuilds that take longer than overnight, but if seeing them through means we can expect to be a winning team every subsequent year, then I'll do it every time.

On that note, man I sure hope Montreal is taking notes.  They have absolutely gotta kick Kavis and keep Khari.  Mr Reed may have given Khari his HC job, but I don't trust that conniving back stabber.  Give Khari a real GM who will load his arsenal up and he will actually be able to get Montreal back to greatness.

11 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, bad is bad period, and only thing looking back on those days whether it was Reinbold, Daley, Kelly or Burke is make me happy someone finally wised up, brought in Wade Miller and set the rest of the change in motion.

I know nobody likes rebuilds that take longer than overnight, but if seeing them through means we can expect to be a winning team every subsequent year, then I'll do it every time.

On that note, man I sure hope Montreal is taking notes.  They have absolutely gotta kick Kavis and keep Khari.  Mr Reed may have given Khari his HC job, but I don't trust that conniving back stabber.  Give Khari a real GM who will load his arsenal up and he will actually be able to get Montreal back to greatness.

The problem with firing Kavis now is that it's quite likely that Khari will have to go too.  There would be very few GM's and even fewer good GM candidates that would consider the job if they were told that they'd have to keep the current head coach.  Khari's tied to Kavis, whether he likes it or not.

11 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The problem with firing Kavis now is that it's quite likely that Khari will have to go too.  There would be very few GM's and even fewer good GM candidates that would consider the job if they were told that they'd have to keep the current head coach.  Khari's tied to Kavis, whether he likes it or not.

That depends on how long Khari's contract is for with the new rules. Gotta pay him anyway and it's on the coaching SMS.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

That depends on how long Khari's contract is for with the new rules. Gotta pay him anyway and it's on the coaching SMS.

While that's true, having to take the job knowing that you can't pick your staff might cause a good candidate to pause.  This might become one of those unexpected consequences of a salary cap for coaches.   We shall see.

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

While that's true, having to take the job knowing that you can't pick your staff might cause a good candidate to pause.  This might become one of those unexpected consequences of a salary cap for coaches.   We shall see.

I think it's the new reality of taking a GM or even an HC job in the CFL. You won't get to pick your staff until the old staffs contracts are up. No team can afford to pay 2 HC's and stay under the management SMS.

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

On the other hand khari came up in a few circles as a possible head coach candidate, if he shows well he  might be  kept anyway.

This.  If Montreal picks the right guy, that guy will realize that the Als firing of head coaches must stop if they're going to become top in the East again, and if Khari shows well such as winning 7 games or more, he'll take a don't fix what ain't broke way.   But even if they don't win 7 or more, he should still be kept.

Khari's personality will help sooth some perceived problems in the room (from last year, I hear) 

But the supposed strong point of the team....gave up 600 yards.  
No real QB either.
Kavis is still there.

Work cut out for Jones.....

Edited by do or die