3 stars plus hh long cold winter edition

wbbfan

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I just don't understand why several people on here hold Strevelers age against him? 

We've had a tonne of QBs older then him who showed absolutely nothing at all over the years. The guy played more then enough downs to show that he has some great tools.

I don't hold his age against him so much as his inability to throw the ball very well. This isn't college ball, your qb has to have an arm

9 hours ago, Tracker said:

This is not about Nichols saying something that will impact his performance. If reported accurately,  it gives an insight into his attitude: "I did good, its someone elses's fault" . I should think that a a quarterback who played poorly would be aware of his performance needing improvement and take the heat on himself.

Watch the freakin' video, kudos to Nichols for stepping up on the podium and facing the press, it's pretty clear he was devastated and wanted no part of it.  To pick apart his words and try to read meaning into them after a huge loss is absurd, he was colossally disappointed.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Watch the freakin' video, kudos to Nichols for stepping up on the podium and facing the press, it's pretty clear he was devastated and wanted no part of it.  To pick apart his words and try to read meaning into them after a huge loss is absurd, he was colossally disappointed.

In unguarded moments, people blurt what they are really thinking. There is a saying,"In vino veritas"- that is, in the wine there is truth and this is a good metaphor for Nichols' statement. He may have been devastated but this does not mean that he accepted responsibility for his poor performance.

On 2018-11-19 at 8:58 PM, White Out said:

I don't hold his age against him so much as his inability to throw the ball very well. This isn't college ball, your qb has to have an arm

look at his college passing stats his senior year...the guy can pass so the notion here he is strictly a runner is a bit off base.

And before some go off babbling about it was college...division II...whatever...and mainly from people who have never played get off that horse now...means jack diddly...if you can pass and put up numbers...or you can't...it is obvious in whatever league you are in and what the competition level you play

His stats totally blow Carson Wentz's SR and JR year's right out of the water...same competition level, and he seems to be doing alright

He also I believe set some kind of record or went a crazy amount of time with no turnovers...so a guy who can't pass wouldn't achieve that...he needs reps...real game action and to experience the ebs and flows of a CFL game to progress further...thats the only way you get better...and coming into next year...he is no longer a rookie and already has a lot of experience, and you can bet your arse he will be watching 24 man tape all winter to see how defenses set up, and what coverage's were/are and how to attack...and what to do..and not to do...from all accounts he is highly intelligent and needs to see things once and he masters it....so all those looks and fronts he saw that were new/foreign to him last year...won't be this year

• 1 month later...

Sorry to necropost but I felt this needed to be asked..

What exactly do you need from Nichols here?  a pound of flesh?  maybe he could whip himself and share the blood from his wounds?? He said he didnt provide championship QB play.. that's him saying I didnt play well..

What QB have you ever seen come out and say "yup.. I was pathetic. Worst player out there. I sucked..".? I've never seen one because it's not a QBs sole responsibility to shoulder a loss.  they are also far too confident in their own skillsets to do that.  he admits when he plays poor.  I don't expect him to dive on  hand grenade to appease the fanbase and I dont quite understand why you all do?? I half expect it is so that you can go..

"See!! Even he admits he sucks, time to pack it in..."

Nichols, like every QB... with the exception of Kevin Glenn.. hates to lose.  They dont ouff themselves up in a loss when they have great stats.. why would they imply their completely to blame when they lose??

Id rather a confident QB then one who is second guessing themselves any day of the week...

And lastly.. nobody here has any iota of how Nichols grades out in his games in the eyes of the coach or OC.. Nor do we know if the blocking was right, if his reads were right, if his receivers were in their places or if Harris was in his right spot....

So if he says "I felt I played ok or good.." I dont think anyone of us can really say he did or didnt without knowing all the variables..  otherwise you're just kinda talking out of your ass and expecting people to agree with you or believe you know what you're talking about.. 

10 hours ago, SPuDS said:

What exactly do you need from Nichols here?  a pound of flesh?  maybe he could whip himself and share the blood from his wounds?? He said he didnt provide championship QB play.. that's him saying I didnt play well..

What QB have you ever seen come out and say "yup.. I was pathetic. Worst player out there. I sucked..".? I've never seen one because it's not a QBs sole responsibility to shoulder a loss.  they are also far too confident in their own skillsets to do that.  he admits when he plays poor.  I don't expect him to dive on  hand grenade to appease the fanbase and I dont quite understand why you all do?? I half expect it is so that you can go..

Nichols, like every QB... with the exception of Kevin Glenn.. hates to lose.  They dont ouff themselves up in a loss when they have great stats.. why would they imply their completely to blame when they lose??

Id rather a confident QB then one who is second guessing themselves any day of the week...

And lastly.. nobody here has any iota of how Nichols grades out in his games in the eyes of the coach or OC.. Nor do we know if the blocking was right, if his reads were right, if his receivers were in their places or if Harris was in his right spot....

So if he says "I felt I played ok or good.." I dont think anyone of us can really say he did or didnt without knowing all the variables..  otherwise you're just kinda talking out of your ass and expecting people to agree with you or believe you know what you're talking about.. 

Agreed to an extent. All we have is what we see on the field, and with O'Shea and Co. being so close-mouthed about what really went on during the game, we are left with speculation, and any one point of view has as much validity as the next.

11 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Man, I understand your point of view.  But you're speculating just as much as those who have been critical of Nichols' play - maybe more. 

Can you provide an example of any other CFL QB's talking about how they thought they played well after a loss?

Reilly, for example, always talks about what HE needs to do better after a loss, even if he's thrown for 300+ yards and the game was lost by the defense.

10 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Can you provide an example of any other CFL QB's talking about how they thought they played well after a loss?

Reilly, for example, always talks about what HE needs to do better after a loss, even if he's thrown for 300+ yards and the game was lost by the defense.

Oh... gee... I don't know. Glenn, Burris, Collaros, Jennings, Bridge and Willy just off the top of my head I can recall saying they played well after poor performances..  sorry I dont save audio sound bites to back that up but it's fairly common.. 

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Man, I understand your point of view.  But you're speculating just as much as those who have been critical of Nichols' play - maybe more. 

How is me breaking down how we... including myself.. saying we have no no clue what was supposed to be happening in the game..  being speculative??

I didn't say I agree, he played well.. I didn't say he played poor..I didnt actually speculate about his performance at all..

So not sure where my speculating went down beyond assuming nobody but him, the coaches and players would know if he was playing good or bad...

9 hours ago, SPuDS said:

How is me breaking down how we... including myself.. saying we have no no clue what was supposed to be happening in the game..  being speculative??

I didn't say I agree, he played well.. I didn't say he played poor..I didnt actually speculate about his performance at all..

So not sure where my speculating went down beyond assuming nobody but him, the coaches and players would know if he was playing good or bad...

A) The discussion went on longer than it needed to, but it was always clear that it was based on what we ‘fans’ can see on the field. 

B. You don’t know much Nichols second guesses himself.

C) If the criteria is that we don’t know all the variables, then I guess we can’t say anything, good or bad.

Oh... gee... I don't know. Glenn, Burris, Collaros, Jennings, Bridge and Willy just off the top of my head I can recall saying they played well after poor performances..  sorry I dont save audio sound bites to back that up but it's fairly common.. 

I notice that everyone on your list, except Burris are below average QB's who aren't exactly known for taking responsibility for their own actions. I do remember all of them having bad games and Burris calling the panel out at halftime of one game, but that's not after a loss. I still don't remember any of them talking about how well they thought they played after a loss or even a poor performance. I'd lump Nichols in with Glenn, Jennings, Bridge and Willy too, but that's not high praise.

7 hours ago, Mark H. said:

A) The discussion went on longer than it needed to, but it was always clear that it was based on what we ‘fans’ can see on the field. 

B. You don’t know much Nichols second guesses himself.

C) If the criteria is that we don’t know all the variables, then I guess we can’t say anything, good or bad.

Yes but, I think all SPuDs is saying that there are posters here that just point out the bad & absolutely relished in Nichol's failures. And SPuDs is right.