3 stars plus hh fog bowl edition

wbbfan

8 minutes ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

I can see O' Shea having a big hand in that too. As a player's coach I think he wanted to publicly show his support for Nichols even at the expense of Nichols himself. No better example than putting him back into a game that was already lost, where he had played terribly, had just got dinged up AND Streveler was moving the ball. This of course led to the (understandable in my opinion) booing and the Nichols meltdown afterward.

Allowing Nichols to come back from his injury as quickly as he did is within that same vein I think and did Nichols no favours.

We were losing and Streveler was getting exposed. 

But, yeah, maybe MOS was worried about being a player's coach. 🙄

The takes, they are truly the worse around here. 

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

We were losing and Streveler was getting exposed. 

But, yeah, maybe MOS was worried about being a player's coach. 🙄

The takes, they are truly the worse around here. 

Well, I admit that whether Nichols was allowed to come back too early from injury is easy to point out now and that it may not have been so obvious at the time. With the luxury of hindsight though I would say it was obviously the wrong choice and Nichols should have been given another week at least to get his feet under him before being thrown back in. Even if that meant O' Shea keeping him out against his wishes. 

There was absolutely no reason to put him back in to the game against Ottawa earlier this year though. Surely you can't defend that move.

25 minutes ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

There was absolutely no reason to put him back in to the game against Ottawa earlier this year though. Surely you can't defend that move.

No one is perfect.  That decision will forever be a head-scratcher for me, but in reality, it made no difference in the big scheme as we were going to lose that game anyway.

1 minute ago, Blue_Dragoon said:

Well, I admit that whether Nichols was allowed to come back too early from injury is easy to point out now and that it may not have been so obvious at the time. With the luxury of hindsight though I would say it was obviously the wrong choice and Nichols should have been given another week at least to get his feet under him before being thrown back in. Even if that meant O' Shea keeping him out against his wishes. 

Going with Nichols was the safer call. I think it was about self-preservation. As a player's coach, it looks good, and having gone with the veteran QB, if we don't make the playoffs, O'Shea may live to see another day. If O'Shea stays with Streveler and he struggles and we don't make the playoffs, O'Shea is toast. Thankfully it worked out. O'Shea couldn't go far wrong sticking with his guy in Nichols. Nichols was the known commodity and he wins a lot of games. The urgency to win was apparent and it's a good thing we did start winning when we did or we may have missed the playoffs. As it is we just barely made it.

We don't know what would have happened with Streveler.

The down side to the self-preservation angle is that if O'Shea had stuck with Streveler and he had caught fire, and we make the playoffs, we have a young, strong, developing QB on the upswing with a capable, steady journeyman there to come in when we need him. To me, that would have been the ideal situation. That's why I would have preferred that we had stuck it out with Streveler but I can understand why MOS didn't. Why roll the dice if you don't have to?

9 minutes ago, J5V said:

Going with Nichols was the safer call. I think it was about self-preservation. As a player's coach, it looks good, and having gone with the veteran QB, if we don't make the playoffs, O'Shea may live to see another day. If O'Shea stays with Streveler and he struggles and we don't make the playoffs, O'Shea is toast. Thankfully it worked out. O'Shea couldn't go far wrong sticking with his guy in Nichols. Nichols was the known commodity and he wins a lot of games. The urgency to win was apparent and it's a good thing we did start winning when we did or we may have missed the playoffs. As it is we just barely made it.

We don't know what would have happened with Streveler.

The down side to the self-preservation angle is that if O'Shea had stuck with Streveler and he had caught fire, and we make the playoffs, we have a young, strong, developing QB on the upswing with a capable, steady journeyman there to come in when we need him. To me, that would have been the ideal situation. That's why I would have preferred that we had stuck it out with Streveler but I can understand why MOS didn't. Why roll the dice if you don't have to?

Matt Nichols may be totally opposed to becoming a,  "journeyman QB" just yet.

On 2018-10-27 at 3:58 PM, Booch said:

From my observations as well I think this game showed that Nichols was truly playing hurt earlier in the year and played a large part in his innefectiveness and uncharacteristic play. 

He was able to escape pressure in tight in the pocket to either make a play..or extend a play...especially on the shovel to Harris where he  got that first down on that crazy run. Earlier in the year he would have just turtled down or just get swallowed up.

Also notice his throws now are more crisp..decisive and deliberate as he can drop.. set..plant and fire..before he just couldn't.. and it showed..

He still seems hurt. You can see it when he runs and at the end of those plays. The guy isnt danny mac slow normally. I wouldnt be surprised to hear him going under the knife in the off season.