Around The NHL 2018/2019

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

If I was Roslo I'd sign up for the Gary Roberts plan and train with Scheif all summer.  Follow that same path.  I don't know why more players don't.

I wondered that myself.  They can all afford it.  Maybe its the time involved and some would rather vacation.  Maybe there are only so many spots available and you need referrals.  Didnt Trouba do it and quit?

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I wondered that myself.  They can all afford it.  Maybe its the time involved and some would rather vacation.  Maybe there are only so many spots available and you need referrals.  Didnt Trouba do it and quit?

That's what I heard.  He couldn't hack it and just quit.  Who knows if that's true.  I just think that if there is a spot available and you can see the results with your own eyes, and you want to make a career of this hockey thing, then why wouldn't you invest in yourself.  But I know I am talking about 20 year old kids who think they are indestructible so not so easy to convince them I guess.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

That's what I heard.  He couldn't hack it and just quit.  Who knows if that's true.  I just think that if there is a spot available and you can see the results with your own eyes, and you want to make a career of this hockey thing, then why wouldn't you invest in yourself.  But I know I am talking about 20 year old kids who think they are indestructible so not so easy to convince them I guess.

Thats true.  If you're a really good player making millions doing your own thing, what is the incentive to spend your summers doing that?  Drinking Beet Juice etc lol  Takes a special person to be that dedicated. That's Uber Dedication.  We're lucky to have Scheif.  Last stats on Roslo were 6'1, 187.  Would love to see him add a bit more weight to the frame.

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/nhl-increasingly-reliant-on-young-defencemen-1.1148442

NHL defencemen getting younger... although this chart lists Myers as our #1 Dman.... so maybe the info is a bit skewed

Would be nice to see the Jets draft a scoring Dman again - think our forwards are pretty stocked for sometime

Would be nice to have an LHD putting in more then Morrissey for sure.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Would be nice to have an LHD putting in more then Morrissey for sure.

For a shutdown D with almost zero powerplay time, I actually think Morrissey is producing really well

After Niku, I don't see a lot of two-way D waiting in the wings though on either side

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

For a shutdown D with almost zero powerplay time, I actually think Morrissey is producing really well

After Niku, I don't see a lot of two-way D waiting in the wings though on either side

We could pretend that Laine is LHD - which is he on first unit PP - and then our totals really go up :D

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Samberg will be good. Then u got a guy like Kovacevic who is RHD tho and even Logan Stanley. Jets lack top end center depth. Niku is more of an O based D.. Lots of points for him. 

Edited by Goalie

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

Samberg will be good. Then u got a guy like Kovacevic who is RHD tho and even Logan Stanley. Jets lack top end center depth. Niku is more of an O based D.. Lots of points for him. 

Think that we can add some top end center depth if we trade Trouba (or should I say "when we trade Trouba")?

32 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why did Montreal trade Subban for Weber? D for D trades happen quite a bit. 

not sure that's a relevant comparison.  Teams trade for need, not because other teams did similar trades.  If center depth is a concern, then Chevy will address it, no matter who he is dangling.  So to respond to your original comment, no I don't think that Chevy is going to just dump Trouba for another D-man, that doesn't make much sense.

23 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

not sure that's a relevant comparison.  Teams trade for need, not because other teams did similar trades.  If center depth is a concern, then Chevy will address it, no matter who he is dangling.  So to respond to your original comment, no I don't think that Chevy is going to just dump Trouba for another D-man, that doesn't make much sense.

I think, if traded, the likelyhood is a young D with potential to be really good.  Not someone who can fill Trouba's position now, but hopefully later.  The other team would make that trade because they want Trouba now.  And I'd suspect the D coming back, as much potential as he might have, will not be as highly thought of as Trouba, meaning a high pick and a solid second player in the deal as well.  Either another D man or a centre prospect.  Petan might go the other way to sweeten our side.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think, if traded, the likelyhood is a young D with potential to be really good.  Not someone who can fill Trouba's position now, but hopefully later.  The other team would make that trade because they want Trouba now.  And I'd suspect the D coming back, as much potential as he might have, will not be as highly thought of as Trouba, meaning a high pick and a solid second player in the deal as well.  Either another D man or a centre prospect.  Petan might go the other way to sweeten our side.

Yup, Chevy needs to unload some salary of guys like Petan who just have no future here.