Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
wbbfan

Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

Recommended Posts

Very surprised they are using XFL for two reasons.  1) all the bad press associated with it 2) XFL was owned by WWE, which means to use it, Alpha has to license it.  That wouldnt matter if WWE was privately owned but they cant just gift the trademarks to Vince because he's the chairman.

Word is the launch would be 2020 so they have given themselves some time to do it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moe makes a good point and is basically my only concern with the XFL

But we have no idea what form it will take.  Odds are the cap will be smaller than the CFL, to begin, unless they have a media partner willing to sink a lot of coin into it.  They cant exist without a TV deal (they didnt announce the TV deal at the first presser back in the day so no telling if they do today or not).  Sinclair has been rumored as a potential TV partner, though they arent a Network, they are huge and rich and right wing (which might be a factor).

WWE specifically avoided any mention of Trump in their RAW video packages and Im curious to see how much they avoid politics.  They will surely be asked about Kneeling.  But keep in mind, Vince's wife holds a Cabinet level position in the Trump administration.   Im not sure how conflict of interest would work if Trump began twitting about a McMahon family business.  More importantly, WWE are essentially slaves to their sponsors and wont want to risk any sort of backlash.

But with Vince, you never know.  It might be why this is positioned as  Vince project and not a WWE one (although they announced the presser on WWE.com and apparently using trademarks owned by WWE....perhaps WWE will be a partner).

Also, keep in mind WWE's very lucrative TV rights fees are shortly opening for negotiation and FOX is expected to be very interested.  Might FOX want a piece of the XFL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure Trump cares about conflict of interest.

 

But, I'm also not sure McMahon wants to be too close to Trump on this. It's fine to have Trump supporters as fans but you want to scope in as many people as you can when building the brand.

Tell me one sports franchise/league that actively dissuades one group or another?

I think McMahon will try to keep politics out of it as much as possible but still implement ridiculous rules about standing for the national anthem. Enough to anger some but not enough to drive off viewers or players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Moe makes a good point and is basically my only concern with the XFL

But we have no idea what form it will take.  Odds are the cap will be smaller than the CFL, to begin, unless they have a media partner willing to sink a lot of coin into it.  They cant exist without a TV deal (they didnt announce the TV deal at the first presser back in the day so no telling if they do today or not).  Sinclair has been rumored as a potential TV partner, though they arent a Network, they are huge and rich and right wing (which might be a factor).

WWE specifically avoided any mention of Trump in their RAW video packages and Im curious to see how much they avoid politics.  They will surely be asked about Kneeling.  But keep in mind, Vince's wife holds a Cabinet level position in the Trump administration.   Im not sure how conflict of interest would work if Trump began twitting about a McMahon family business.  More importantly, WWE are essentially slaves to their sponsors and wont want to risk any sort of backlash.

But with Vince, you never know.  It might be why this is positioned as  Vince project and not a WWE one (although they announced the presser on WWE.com and apparently using trademarks owned by WWE....perhaps WWE will be a partner).

Also, keep in mind WWE's very lucrative TV rights fees are shortly opening for negotiation and FOX is expected to be very interested.  Might FOX want a piece of the XFL?

Fox Amazon Facebook and USA are believed to have legit interest in partnering with WWE. 

You give them a partner like Bezos or Murdoch or Zuccerberg and look out. 

Edited by Goalie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Fox Amazon Facebook and USA are believed to have legit interest in partnering with WWE. 

You give them a partner like Bezos or Murdoch or Zuccerberg and look out. 

Yup.  Facebook already with the mixed tag stuff.  WWE will want a legit TV outlet for THEIR programming (I think FOX is the leading candidate other than USA which has first look rights).  FOX has an NFL deal though.  Unless Alpha partners in some way with the NFL, I'd imagine no current TV partner would be able to air XFL games.

I think the deals are up in 2021.  Amazon Prime paid $50 million for 10 weeks of NFL programming in 2017. 

The key thing is, XFL ratings were bad for the time but would be good now.  Can they deliver that now?  If someone believes they can, they will pay for programming.  Thats the big thing.  The TV deal.  If they get a good TV deal, it could make all the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup.  Facebook already with the mixed tag stuff.  WWE will want a legit TV outlet for THEIR programming (I think FOX is the leading candidate other than USA which has first look rights).  FOX has an NFL deal though.  Unless Alpha partners in some way with the NFL, I'd imagine no current TV partner would be able to air XFL games.

I think the deals are up in 2021.  Amazon Prime paid $50 million for 10 weeks of NFL programming in 2017. 

The key thing is, XFL ratings were bad for the time but would be good now.  Can they deliver that now?  If someone believes they can, they will pay for programming.  Thats the big thing.  The TV deal.  If they get a good TV deal, it could make all the difference. 

Their stock has gone up like 65 percent this year so far... Insane. I think its gonna work this time. Only problem i potentially see is... Vince dont look so Good and 2020 is a few years away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Their stock has gone up like 65 percent this year so far... Insane. I think its gonna work this time. Only problem i potentially see is... Vince dont look so Good and 2020 is a few years away. 

WWE stock?  Its the highest its been since the launch due to expectations of increased TV rights fees.  Expectations being 30%-150% increase. 

Vince is a control freak so to me, the sensible thing is to have partners.  But is that the Vince thing?  And I agree, if you're a major TV network or investor, and Vince is THE key aspect, are you investing in a guy at his age?  He needs to bring in key business people.  He has **** Ebersol last time.  He needs another Ebersol type. 

WWE was hurt by Vince's focus on the XFL last time.  If this is part of the plan to transition WWE to Hunter and Vince can devote more time to just the XFL, you cant count him out.  He's tenacious.  And with Linda sitting at Trump's table, they are legit and have many friends.  I agree with you, this has a chance to work (saying that with no idea if its going to be NFL-lite, 7 on 7, arena league or whatever),.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I just think the idea of XFL and extreme football is passé.    

Now if they had a football league where you could bribe the refs,  play on ice,  throw exploding footballs....  that would be awesome :)

You may not be far off, guaranteed they will package it differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shorter, faster paced, family

10 game regular season, 8 teams

Quality of human being important to choosing players

Customize viewing experience

7 months of no football.

Going to have experts to ensure its as safe as possible.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Moe makes a good point and is basically my only concern with the XFL

But we have no idea what form it will take.  Odds are the cap will be smaller than the CFL, to begin, unless they have a media partner willing to sink a lot of coin into it.  They cant exist without a TV deal (they didnt announce the TV deal at the first presser back in the day so no telling if they do today or not).  Sinclair has been rumored as a potential TV partner, though they arent a Network, they are huge and rich and right wing (which might be a factor).

WWE specifically avoided any mention of Trump in their RAW video packages and Im curious to see how much they avoid politics.  They will surely be asked about Kneeling.  But keep in mind, Vince's wife holds a Cabinet level position in the Trump administration.   Im not sure how conflict of interest would work if Trump began twitting about a McMahon family business.  More importantly, WWE are essentially slaves to their sponsors and wont want to risk any sort of backlash.

But with Vince, you never know.  It might be why this is positioned as  Vince project and not a WWE one (although they announced the presser on WWE.com and apparently using trademarks owned by WWE....perhaps WWE will be a partner).

Also, keep in mind WWE's very lucrative TV rights fees are shortly opening for negotiation and FOX is expected to be very interested.  Might FOX want a piece of the XFL?

Confirmed.  Players required to stand for anthem. Manziel ineligible to play. 

Off to a grrrrreat start :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Will Trump support this?"

Vince: "I have no idea.  Our league will have nothing to do with politics or social issues."

 

No initial talks with anyone.

Vince not stepping down from WWE.

No cross over with WWE.

 

Q: "Will you suspend players, will there be no free speech?"

Vince: "National anthem is a time honoured tradition.  Players will know our rules and abide by them.  Plenty of other opportunity for players and coaches to express personal views.  We're here to play football."

 

Will go to cities where there is interest.  No where near choosing cities.

Vince getting annoyed with questions about specific cities...lol

Might not be a half time.  Wants the game to be faster viewing experience.  Wants the game to be two hours.

Been considering this for "many many" years.

Considered different names but felt the name was "cool" and had "equity" (ie. is already known).

All options open as far as broadcasting (related to streaming etc).  No talks with anyone yet.

Wants to simplify rules to make it globally accessible.

 

Q:"Will you allow names like He Hate Me?" hahaha

Vince: "Not sure yet, but amazing people remember that."  Hasnt decided about nicknames, will listen to experts and fans.

Regarding national anthem, he was directly asked if it was a requirement to stand and Vince said he believes its appropriate to do so.

Asked about national vs regional feeds, Vince says everything on the table but could customize feed for regions.

Team names likely to be all new, but if they like an older name, nothing stopping them from using them.

No criminality whatsoever in players.  If you have a DUI, you wont be in the XFL.

No crossover whatsoever (in answer to "will there be wrestling announcers?")

Vince will hire professionals that know what they're doing and he will take a back seat and wont be out front.

Will be a lot of differences between XFL and NFL, primarily based on what fans want to see.

 

Q: "Did you seek Linda's (his wife) opinion on this?"

Vince: Smirking "No."

Vince will own every team.

 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January 2020

8 Team

10 week schedule.

40 man roster.

Quote

Although the season is only 10 weeks, McMahon said the contract will be a 52-week job so players can work themselves into the communities where they play.

Vince is sole funding source and sole owner of all the teams.

Quote

"One thing we are not is a development league for the NFL," McMahon said.

McMahon told reporters that, unlike the last XFL, he doesn't have any plans to be visible during the league's games or with the league's content. Similarly, McMahon said that there will be no crossover with the league and WWE talent.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22213241/vince-mcmahon-gimmick-free-xfl-return-2020

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

If they wanna avoid the controversy of the national anthem, play it just before the players come out of the tunnel after warm ups. The XFL can change the way football pre-game is done.

I agree.  Perhaps doing a big pre-game show (especially if they arent going to do a half time).  You can play the anthem for the fans but make it part of a pre-game fan experience and have the players rush onto the field and begin playing immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Goalie said:

I think it works this time. Hes also given himself 2 years to get things ready instead of like 2 months. 

It concerns me that he had very little information.  Presumably he's had informal talks.  I mean, no TV deal = nop XFL.  That simple.

The other concern is that he claims it has zero impact on his running WWE.  Now, even if he intended to slow down, he wouldnt say so (to preserve WWE stock).

He was VERY careful to separate this from WWE, Trump, and his wife.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Goalie said:

To me thats a subtle shot at USA network.. Ive read he didn't want to go 3 hours with Raw but USA gave them more cash. 

For sure.  Cant say no to the cash, especially publicly traded.  But its a consideration for pro sports too if you're drawing.  But a two hour game fits the schedule easier as well.

If Vince is serious about hiring people to run the league and will just be a hands off owner, then good for him.  Its also important to note his age.  if the league is a success, odds are against him being there for the ten year anniversary.  He needs to have the right people in place and a succession plan.  Although, as a private enterprise, he doesnt need to tell anyone.  He might relish the opportunity to run a private business again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So can we assume a January start will coincide with the very end of the NFL season?  So they want NFL fans to continue watching.  Thats a good idea...you're used to doing something every Sunday and Monday...play on people being creatures of habit (other than Monday being a no go).

Interesting remarks about contracts being 52 weeks.  One attraction for players might be if they are all one year contracts.  Done by March and you can go to the CFL or NFL (though neither is handing out contracts allowing you to go back to the XFL though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...