Vince McMahon considers move to bring back the XFL

wbbfan

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Sunday XFL FS1 1,113M
XFL ESPN 2 1,030M

Saturday XFL Fox 1,802M
XFL ABC 1,558M

Solid numbers.  If they maintain, Vince is likely to get some good offers for next season.

Doesnt their deal run 3 total years then he is betting on a big tv deal for after that?

I think if they have a second season they might need to start it a bit earlier. March madness, nba play offs etc are gonna bury them. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Doesnt their deal run 3 total years then he is betting on a big tv deal for after that?

I think if they have a second season they might need to start it a bit earlier. March madness, nba play offs etc are gonna bury them. 

Season ends before NBA playoffs.  The NCAA has enormous ratings on the first two days of the tournament (Thursday-Friday) and then they crater until the Final Four.

The current TV deal is for 3 years with the networks not paying for rights but sharing advertising revenue.

10 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

If the XFL fails it won't because of the time of the year or the quality of the game, it will be the markets that Vince chose to locate teams...

Why is that?

No matter where the teams are it’s a TV product.

The were actually really smart to get a team in St. Louis and Seattle.  Seattle is a great sports TV market for some reason.  St. Louis obviously didn’t have a pro team at all.

The only places I might or avoided are LA and NY.  San Diego might have been a better option.

15 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Why is that?

No matter where the teams are it’s a TV product.

The were actually really smart to get a team in St. Louis and Seattle.  Seattle is a great sports TV market for some reason.  St. Louis obviously didn’t have a pro team at all.

The only places I might or avoided are LA and NY.  San Diego might have been a better option.

because it doesn't matter how big the market is if nobody cares in said market...  LA was and is going to be a dog regardless of how good or bad the product is, they can't even support an NFL team the majority of the time... NY is another place that should have been avoided given all of the current pro teams they as well and given the possibility of bad weather would you expect someone from NY to go to the games?

much like Toronto, if the local market doesn't show up to the games, those outside that market become indifferent to watching or supporting that team as well...  empty seats tells people that the product isn't worth tuning in for, whether it's true or not...

even though Dallas isn't doing terrible in attendance I would have avoided them as well, especially when you had another Texas location that proved the year before that they would support a spring league with big numbers in San Antonio... San Diego would have been a good choice as well... then I would have looked at maybe Oakland instead of LA... with them losing the Raiders and their track record for supporting football it would have been a much better choice for a California location...

last week's NY/LA game, The top 5 local markets were: Cleveland (2.4 rating), Houston (2.4), Nashville (2.4), New Orleans (2.4), and Buffalo (2.3). No one from NY or LA watching...

the DC/TB game, The top 5 local markets were: Tampa-St. Pete (2.4 rating), Cincinnati (1.8), Buffalo (1.4), St. Louis (1.4), and Ft. Myers-Naples (1.3).

the SEA/STL game, Top Markets: St. Louis (8.1/20), Seattle (3.7/11), Memphis (2.6/5), Dallas (2.0/6), Atlanta (2.0/6) and Cleveland (2.0/5)

the DAL/HOU game, Top Markets: Houston (3.27), St. Louis (1.63), Austin (1.59), Dallas (1.56), Jacksonville (1.23)

as you can see, LA, NY, or DC didn't even crack the top 5 of any game let alone their own team's game...

also, the TV ratings aren't as bad as some would like to believe... it has as much to do with the channel they are on as it does the games themselves... right now games are on 5 different networks, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you look at the overall numbers it tells you the network airing the games does play into the success of the broadcast... if the XFL were on only ABC and FOX , you much like how the NFL does it's TV scheduling, the numbers would be a lot more impressive... ESPN does decent but ESPN2 and Fox Sports are a harder sell, the numbers bear it out regardless of the match up... for instance...

ABC has had 5 games in the first 4 weeks, veiwer totals were 3.3M, 2.1M, 2.4M, 1.9M, and 1.6M or an average of 2.3M per game viewing...

FOX has had 5 games as well, viewer totals were 3.3M, 3.4M, 2.3M, 2.1M, and 1.8M, or an average of 2.6M per game viewing...

ESPN has had 2 games, viewer totals were 2.5M and 1.5M, or an average of 2.0M per game viewing...

but when you drop down to FOX Sports you see drastically different results from the same game and teams... they have had 3 games, 1.4M, 1.0M, and 1.1M, or an average of 1.2M per game...

ESPN2 has had only 1 game that drew 1.0M...

I guarantee you that both ABC and FOX , and even ESPN, are more than tickled with the ratings... ESPN2 and FS1 drags the overall numbers down...

but even so, last Sunday's game on FS1 only drew 1,1M viewers, which was actually up 11% from the week's before game of 1.0M viewer,  it still  ranked 7th out of 150 cable tv shows on Sunday... also, it pushed FS1 to #1 in viewership among cable sports networks between 4-7pm

ESPN2's game on Sunday between between DC and TBay had the lowest ratings of any game so far this season, only 1.0M, yet their prime time telecast was ranked 9th out of 150 Cable TV programs.

attendance at St. Louis was been so good that they are opening up and selling tickets in the upper bowl on the 'home side' for the rest of the year... the Bombers only had 1 home game last year that drew more fans than either of their first 2 home games and that was the Banjo Bowl...

with a little tweaking along the way this league has a legit chance of making it... in most likelyhood it will fail like all others have but it's not as grime and dire and most haters would like to believe... I watched both games yesterday and they were fun to watch... you have to remember that most football fans are not nearly as critical of the game as those of us that spend time here... it doesn't have to be the best football, just entertaining football... 

I've been to all 4 of St. Louis' games this year, enjoyed each one of them... I've even have suite for all of their home games and I can promise you is absolutely no need to have crowd noise piped in at St. Louis... in fact, you'll see even the home team having to cover the ear holes on their helmet to hear the play call...

but I get it, some feel threaten by the new league, or simply feel their is no way it could ever succeed but remember, the CFL only has 9 teams and has been around for 107 years yet they only average 4,000 more fans per game than a 4 week old league... TV numbers aren't even close... through the first 4 games of last season the CFL average around 500,000 viewers per game... if the CFL game survive on those numbers I find it interesting that many here don't believe that the XFL could as well... it will never be the NFL, but no one will ever be the NFL, but if the numbers maintain they have a real chance of making a go of it...

alright... hating starts.... NOW!  lol...

4 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

because it doesn't matter how big the market is if nobody cares in said market...  LA was and is going to be a dog regardless of how good or bad the product is, they can't even support an NFL team the majority of the time... NY is another place that should have been avoided given all of the current pro teams they as well and given the possibility of bad weather would you expect someone from NY to go to the games?

much like Toronto, if the local market doesn't show up to the games, those outside that market become indifferent to watching or supporting that team as well...  empty seats tells people that the product isn't worth tuning in for, whether it's true or not...

even though Dallas isn't doing terrible in attendance I would have avoided them as well, especially when you had another Texas location that proved the year before that they would support a spring league with big numbers in San Antonio... San Diego would have been a good choice as well... then I would have looked at maybe Oakland instead of LA... with them losing the Raiders and their track record for supporting football it would have been a much better choice for a California location...

last week's NY/LA game, The top 5 local markets were: Cleveland (2.4 rating), Houston (2.4), Nashville (2.4), New Orleans (2.4), and Buffalo (2.3). No one from NY or LA watching...

the DC/TB game, The top 5 local markets were: Tampa-St. Pete (2.4 rating), Cincinnati (1.8), Buffalo (1.4), St. Louis (1.4), and Ft. Myers-Naples (1.3).

the SEA/STL game, Top Markets: St. Louis (8.1/20), Seattle (3.7/11), Memphis (2.6/5), Dallas (2.0/6), Atlanta (2.0/6) and Cleveland (2.0/5)

the DAL/HOU game, Top Markets: Houston (3.27), St. Louis (1.63), Austin (1.59), Dallas (1.56), Jacksonville (1.23)

as you can see, LA, NY, or DC didn't even crack the top 5 of any game let alone their own team's game...

also, the TV ratings aren't as bad as some would like to believe... it has as much to do with the channel they are on as it does the games themselves... right now games are on 5 different networks, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you look at the overall numbers it tells you the network airing the games does play into the success of the broadcast... if the XFL were on only ABC and FOX , you much like how the NFL does it's TV scheduling, the numbers would be a lot more impressive... ESPN does decent but ESPN2 and Fox Sports are a harder sell, the numbers bear it out regardless of the match up... for instance...

ABC has had 5 games in the first 4 weeks, veiwer totals were 3.3M, 2.1M, 2.4M, 1.9M, and 1.6M or an average of 2.3M per game viewing...

FOX has had 5 games as well, viewer totals were 3.3M, 3.4M, 2.3M, 2.1M, and 1.8M, or an average of 2.6M per game viewing...

ESPN has had 2 games, viewer totals were 2.5M and 1.5M, or an average of 2.0M per game viewing...

but when you drop down to FOX Sports you see drastically different results from the same game and teams... they have had 3 games, 1.4M, 1.0M, and 1.1M, or an average of 1.2M per game...

I guarantee you that both ABC and FOX , and even ESPN, are more than tickled with the ratings... ESPN2 and FS1 drags the overall numbers down...

but even so, last Sunday's game on FS1 only drew 1,1M viewers, which was actually up 11% from the week's before game of 1.0M viewer,  it still  ranked 7th out of 150 cable tv shows on Sunday... also, it pushed FS1 to #1 in viewership among cable sports networks between 4-7pm

ESPN2's game on Sunday between between DC and TBay had the lowest ratings of any game so far this season, only 1.0M, yet their prime time telecast was ranked 9th out of 150 Cable TV programs.

attendance at St. Louis was been so good that they are opening up and selling tickets in the upper bowl on the 'home side' for the rest of the year... the Bombers only had 1 home game last year that drew more fans than either of their first 2 home games and that was the Banjo Bowl...

with a little tweaking along the way this league has a legit chance of making it... in most likelyhood it will fail like all others have but it's not as grime and dire and most haters would like to believe... I watched both games yesterday and they were fun to watch... you have to remember that most football fans are not nearly as critical of the game as those of us that spend time here... it doesn't have to be the best football, just entertaining football... 

I've been to all 4 of St. Louis' games this year, enjoyed each one of them... I've even have suite for all of their home games and I can promise you is absolutely no need to have crowd noise piped in at St. Louis... in fact, you'll see even the home team having to cover the ear holes on their helmet to hear the play call...

but I get it, some feel threaten by the new league, or simply feel their is no way it could ever succeed but remember, the CFL only has 9 teams and has been around for 107 years yet they only average 4,000 more fans per game than a 4 week old league... TV numbers aren't even close... through the first 4 games of last season the CFL average around 500,000 viewers per game... if the CFL game survive on those numbers I find it interesting that many here don't believe that the XFL could as well... it will never be the NFL, but no one will ever be the NFL, but if the numbers maintain they have a real chance of making a go of it...

And then there are the majority who do not give a rat's butt about the latest XFL ego-trip debacle.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

And then there are the majority who do not give a rat's butt about the latest XFL ego-trip debacle.

yet someone here created a thread to talk about it... and you come here and read it... and respond to it... you must have at least an inkling of an interest, wouldn't you say?

2 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

yet someone here created a thread to talk about it... and you come here and read it... and respond to it... you must have at least an inkling of an interest, wouldn't you say?

In all honesty, I have never watched any part of any XFL game-past or present, nor do I intend to.

Just now, Tracker said:

In all honesty, I have never watched any part of any XFL game-past or present, nor do I intend to.

You don’t know what you’re missing.

Passes, receptions, converts, interceptions... 

Just like the players on both teams..

21 hours ago, 66 Chevelle said:

Vince chose the markets he did for TV.  The end game is to get a TV/streaming deal that pays the bill, not be a gate driven league.  Though they've done well in some markets.  Its all about leveraging the increase in rights fees for sports and the expanding cable/streaming universe for big bucks.

XFL will succeed or fail based on getting that deal.