Lapolice Should Say No To Any Offers From Bob Glieberman Wettenhall In MTL

USABomberfan

22 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Yup, just like there's freedom of the press to call him out as stupid when he ****s it up.

9 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

When tough times come usually this happens.  I seen the same thing from privately-owned teams fanbases clamoring for community ownership, and would not be surprised if people on the Als forum or in various Montreal bars are calling for it right now.  Well if they're not too busy with Habs hockey right now.

This.  I may have made a slight mistake in targetting Bob Sr. as opposed to maybe stopping the Buck at Andrew or Bob Jr's plate.  But yes, in a what have you done for me lately football era, the people you hire as an owner can make or break your franchise, and as of right now it's been proven they are hiring incompetent people to run it.  And before I get another lecture on capitalism and economics (which I am well versed in) allowing this, maybe I'd better give people a lecture on freedom of the press and that an owner's right to stupidity doesn't = a censorship of the media criticizing him since some here seem to think it does.

As others have said, you are not the media, you are just a poster on this site, so freedom of the press does not apply. Secondly since you are posting on a site based in Canada, you should realize we don't follow the US constitution, we follow the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. So what you wanted to say is that the Charter grants you freedom of expression.

6 hours ago, White Out said:

The way this team turned around with Nichols and the O line last July says it all to me. Before that we were one of the worst O's in the league.

Keep in mind were first in points  scored. Im willing to bet were middle pack for yards and yards per play. Will check that later.

Second last in team passing yardage only ahead of MTL.  Worst yds per pass (7.7) among starters.  Completion percentage (highest) INTs (lowest), that'll happen throwing 3 yard passes most of the game.   Nichols plays very safe football, as designed by LaPo to counter his not so strong arm.     

59 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

As others have said, you are not the media, you are just a poster on this site, so freedom of the press does not apply. Secondly since you are posting on a site based in Canada, you should realize we don't follow the US constitution, we follow the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. So what you wanted to say is that the Charter grants you freedom of expression.

OK OK for the umpteenth time I get it.  Yes it is a privately owned site that I am subject to the rules of, which last I checked allow open criticism of Robert C. Wetenhall, Sr. and sons, the not-so-esteemed owners of the once great Montreal Alouettes of the CFL.

Edited by USABomberfan

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So I am legitimately curious here, how many qbs have actually have really good seasons in a Lapo offense? I got Khari Jones, Darian Durant and Matt Nichols, anyone else? 

I know Pierce is hard to get a gauge on just because he always got hurt, but numbers aside he seemed to do fine in Lapo's offense.  And I'm talking about the offense we had before Crowton screwed it up.

14 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I know Pierce is hard to get a gauge on just because he always got hurt, but numbers aside he seemed to do fine in Lapo's offense.  And I'm talking about the offense we had before Crowton screwed it up.

But the offense seems to also get guys hurt, Willy was hurt a lot, Pierce obviously, Khari Jones was in a Lapo offense when he got his shoulder buggered up... 

Just now, 17to85 said:

But the offense seems to also get guys hurt, Willy was hurt a lot, Pierce obviously, Khari Jones was in a Lapo offense when he got his shoulder buggered up... 

He was in Lapo's offense for about 5 weeks and was benched not for injury but bad play.  His injuries came in the Bellefeuille offense.  Pierce getting hurt was his own doing by not sliding when he should have.  I'd say the only player that Lapo has gotten hurt unnecessarily is Weston Dressler with that sweep.  Other than that, no.

14 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

OK OK for the umpteenth time I get it.  Yes it is a privately owned site that I am subject to the rules of, which last I checked allow open criticism of Robert C. Wetenhall, Sr. and sons, the not-so-esteemed owners of the once great Montreal Alouettes of the CFL.

If I may make the following suggestion, it would be easier to agree with some of your points if you weren't so comically over the top in your criticism.  No one here has suggested the Wetenhall's are currently wrapping themselves in glory, but the bar for bad ownership in the CFL is set a lot higher than hiring Kavis Reed.

Everyone here has been critical of how Montreal has run their football team this year.  You are not some unique snowflake.

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

He was in Lapo's offense for about 5 weeks and was benched not for injury but bad play.  His injuries came in the Bellefeuille offense.  Pierce getting hurt was his own doing by not sliding when he should have.  I'd say the only player that Lapo has gotten hurt unnecessarily is Weston Dressler with that sweep.  Other than that, no.

Yeah that's true about Willy, time blends together and I just assumed Lapo had been here longer. 

Still I think these questions need to be asked about Lapolice. Never really developed a qb, guys who have looked good in his offense are few and far between... methinks he is over rated as an offensive guru. 

My only disappointment with Lapolice's QB work is Davis in that I would have thought given his physical toolset and having Harris in the backfield that he should have been able to do better than he has in filling in.  It's just that then again, it may be that he's just simply not going to be a successful starter anywhere and that Hufnagel took Buckley over him to backup BLM might be telling in that regard.  What I just don't buy though is that Nichols has thrived in spite of Lapolice, and I'm pretty sure he'd tell you too that he loves what Lapo has done for him, even more so considering people pretty much wrote him off when he took over for Willy.

Just now, Goalie said:

Lapo can go if he wants... I personally wouldnt lose any sleep over him leaving

One thing about Lapolice is he's been tough to evaluate because while he was here as head coach, he had a QB who couldn't stay on the field enough, backups with noodle arms (Brink) and a GM who was an idiot and who may have been the real cause behind Crowton coming here (not going to rehash this debate but you get the idea).

Yet on the other hand, he did a hell of a job when Khari was healthy, got Durant to the GC and in the time he was with TSN on the panel brought some amazing insights to breaking down plays.

My opinion of Lapolice when he was a head coach here was that he was too conservative and got us off to too many slow starts.  The way he's mostly run things since Nichols took over though has made me rethink that, and I do know one thing that without continuity at QB, like what he was having as head coach here, you're not going to have much success.  I really think he's undervalued as an offensive coordinator.

Now ... maybe my opinion of Lapo is that he's good because the two offensive coordinators we had under Burke and O'Shea's first 2 seasons here were disasters.  What would I think of him has those 2 OCs been Dave Dickenson and Scott Millanovich?  Maybe not nearly as good, but still ...  Undervalued is what I'd say posters are doing with him.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Khari Jones, Milt Stegall in his prime, Arland Bruce, Charles Roberts, Mike Sellers... yeah wonder why an offensive coordinator would have success.....

Well, should you only evaluate a guy on the basis of having bad players?

I guess ... seems like a lot of people were defending Mike Gibson in 2014 when he did terrible in Ottawa and said it wasn't him, it was his players.  If that was the case, you'd figure somebody out there woulda offered him an OC job and said "yup, we got a good one here, Ottawa fumbled the ball." I just think the mantra should be grading a guy overall and not just simply as "a product of good players riding their coattails" or "a great OC being dragged down by sludge on the field."

Edited by USABomberfan

I am just saying it's pretty ******* easy to come up with a good offense when you have that collection of players, and we all used to sit around ourbombers at the time and ***** about Lapolice's play calling and wish for Khari Jones to call plays in the huddle instead, so not like everyone was wowed by it back then either. Hell he was fired from that position. 

I find Lapo and Maurice are actually similar in nature. Both very well spoken, know their games inside out but sometimes struggle with how their thought process translates into real game situations. I actually enjoy listening to them both when they are talking about their respective football and hockey teams. They can string more than one sentence together in a not run of the mill understandable way which is nice  perk to have as a fan. We could have better but we could also have a lot worse. 

However I think it's legitimate to say overall loyal Winnipeg fans have been a patient fan base but need to see growth post haste (increased chances at winning Grey Cups and  more consistent hockey playoff appearances). 

Edited by HardCoreBlue
a not an

4 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

However I think it's legitimate to say overall loyal Winnipeg fans have been a patient fan base but need to see growth post haste (increased chances at winning Grey Cups and  more consistent hockey playoff appearances). 

This is one of the most inaccurate statements ever to see the light of day.....

4 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, should you only evaluate a guy on the basis of having bad players?

I guess ... seems like a lot of people were defending Mike Gibson in 2014 when he did terrible in Ottawa and said it wasn't him, it was his players.  If that was the case, you'd figure somebody out there woulda offered him an OC job and said "yup, we got a good one here, Ottawa fumbled the ball." I just think the mantra should be grading a guy overall and not just simply as "a product of good players riding their coattails" or "a great OC being dragged down by sludge on the field."

You evaluate by being an OC and getting fired for lack of production with a core like that. 

You have to judge a CO by their over all success. Plops offense has been an issue and under whelming each time through. He was a better HC and player coach then system guy. Its funny cus the media paint him as an X n O genius, the second coming of Mouse Davis or some thing. Partly increased by his TSN work.  Im not saying hes bad at Xs n Os. The execution and play calling has been consistently poor.  Getting away from harris and the run, not making good use (or any direct use much of the time) of DIs, constantly faking stuff but not actually progressing to the new wrinkle to keep the defense from cheating, not adapting the play calling to fit different pieces (ie qbs) every game hammering dressler through the jet sweep / fake, out thinking himself play calls etc. 

A great OC on a bad team happens. When it does you tend to see players in positions to make plays, but not making them. I would give specific bomber examples here, but TBH we have not had a great wealth of OC minds in the last 20 years. Plop is among the better on the list, though I dont suggest looking too hard at our list of OCs in that era, its as depressing if not more then looking at the QBs. OC by committee? Seriously? 

Its hard to say what players will progress into being good coaches. Some times a guy like khari who seems tailor made to be great at it, never shows much. And guys like tee martin, and brady do it very well. Great coaches seem to be hungry and self motivated.  I read recently that mike martz and his staff with the rams would watch every play from the week they could find. cfl, nfl, ncaa, even us HS. And if they saw a good fresh play they would call the coaching staff, even make trips down to meet with the staff on occasions. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

This is one of the most inaccurate statements ever to see the light of day.....

2nd that. :lol: We stick it out, a tough group of people. Patient and optimistic, nah. I dont know how we could be given the 2 dark ages from the late 90s to mid mos era. With all too brief returns to respectability. 

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'll save my overall judgement of lapo for next year. He seems to have 2 years of decent production and then things start to unravel. That's kinda been his MO 

2 years is even high.  Because of that we may have reason to hope that he will turn the corner and become an elite OC. Not holding my breath but i am hoping. This offense (talent wise) is 1 high tier wr away from being  maybe the best in my life time.  Top to bottom it would be a juggernaught.  

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You evaluate by being an OC and getting fired for lack of production with a core like that. 

You have to judge a CO by their over all success. Plops offense has been an issue and under whelming each time through. He was a better HC and player coach then system guy. Its funny cus the media paint him as an X n O genius, the second coming of Mouse Davis or some thing. Partly increased by his TSN work.  Im not saying hes bad at Xs n Os. The execution and play calling has been consistently poor.  Getting away from harris and the run, not making good use (or any direct use much of the time) of DIs, constantly faking stuff but not actually progressing to the new wrinkle to keep the defense from cheating, not adapting the play calling to fit different pieces (ie qbs) every game hammering dressler through the jet sweep / fake, out thinking himself play calls etc. 

A great OC on a bad team happens. When it does you tend to see players in positions to make plays, but not making them. I would give specific bomber examples here, but TBH we have not had a great wealth of OC minds in the last 20 years. Plop is among the better on the list, though I dont suggest looking too hard at our list of OCs in that era, its as depressing if not more then looking at the QBs. OC by committee? Seriously? 

Its hard to say what players will progress into being good coaches. Some times a guy like khari who seems tailor made to be great at it, never shows much. And guys like tee martin, and brady do it very well. Great coaches seem to be hungry and self motivated.  I read recently that mike martz and his staff with the rams would watch every play from the week they could find. cfl, nfl, ncaa, even us HS. And if they saw a good fresh play they would call the coaching staff, even make trips down to meet with the staff on occasions. 

I would agree with most of your points except those.  If anything, Harris has been overused and more should be done to divert attention off of him.