Province takes $56M Loss in Stadium Deal

Rich

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Waterparks are fun, especially if you have kids and need to entertain them.

Waterparks don't work well outdoors in the winter.

Winnipeg has long ass winters.

Therefore: indoor waterpark. Quite simple!

yup indoor is the key word. When my son's football team played the Portage Terriers in PLP we make it a point to stop at the indoor water park they have there. It's not the biggest, but I think for something the size of winnipeg we could get a fun mountain/skinner's sized thing going.  I personally wouldn't be hitting it up to often but can't go wrong with more things to do in the city,  especially during winter

It's fine, Winnipeg will have  a kickass waterpark one day in the building that currently holds the Museum of Human Rights.  Or maybe in the old arena? Or was it the old stadium, or the empty Target store?  Winnipeg's perpetual longing for a waterpark is what gives the city it's charm. If they ever actually build one we'll lose part of our soul.

Remember David Asper's  plan for the new stadium at Point Douglas?  It included a waterpark.  Unbelievably, it still didn't get much public support. That's the closest Winnipeg has gotten to actually getting the elusive waterpark and they rejected it.

Here's a blast from the past: http://accesswinnipeg.com/2008/06/sneak-peak-at-proposed-point-duglas-stadium/

That article references a waterpark at CanadInn Polo Park. Did that ever get built?

On opening day at the Winnipeg water-park:

Mayor Bowman: And now, I'd like to turn things over to our Grand Marshall Mr. William Shatner!
Audience applauds
William Shatner: I'd say going down these slides you could do at least Warp 5!
Audience chuckles
Bowman: And let me say, may the Force be with you!
William Shatner: Do you even know who I am?
Bowman: I believe I do. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Before I used to roll my eyes at the idea....   last month we took our two little ones to a mini trip down South and went to 3 hotels with water parks.    Mid week in late August these places were jam packed from afternoon till close.   Many of the people were locals attending as well.     They could easily generate a tonne of cash with a decent park.    

In winter parents are desperate to unleash the kids somewhere to burn energy,  places like Kid City are swamped with kids running around.  I can see an indoor park doing very well.  

agree 120%  every park Ive ever gone to (indoor or outdoor) has been jam packed.  they are absolute cash cows.  I don't know how the city doesn't see this as an excuse to pretty much print money

spent a lot of time at both Skinner's and Fun Mountain when I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s.......so much fun. West Ed water park is OUTSTANDING....best I've ever seen. Winnipeg could definitely use an indoor water park. Every city wants more young families, and young families want water parks.

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

WTF is with Winnipeg and waterparks.

its hot as hell in summer.. water park to cool off.. its boring as hell in the winter, water park (and hotel if you are flush with cash) for a mini-staycation from the cold..

they are entertaining and a great way to kill a day.  kinda pricey but you get usually what you pay for.  If you've never been, I suggest you try one on your next trip somewhere.  West ed Mall, Wisconsin dells, even Canada's Wonderland in Toronto has a pretty stellar park.. been to them all and will gladly go back.

8 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Waterparks are fun, especially if you have kids and need to entertain them.

Waterparks don't work well outdoors in the winter.

Winnipeg has long ass winters.

Therefore: indoor waterpark. Quite simple!

winner winner chicken dinner

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The H20 center here in Kelowna is a huge hit, and is used extensively.  Also anyone ever been to West Edmonton Mall?  That waterpark has been going for decades.  I've never been but all my family members and friends who have been there love that waterpark.  Winnipeg could definitely use something like that.

never been to the H20 centre but been to at least 5 different parks, 3 of them indoors and all of them have been a blast.  Lazy rivers to speed slides and all the fun stuff inbetween. kept the kiddos and the big kiddos alike occupied for hours.    Winnipeg is in sore need for something like this and have been for ages.

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

its hot as hell in summer.. water park to cool off.. its boring as hell in the winter, water park (and hotel if you are flush with cash) for a mini-staycation from the cold..

they are entertaining and a great way to kill a day.  kinda pricey but you get usually what you pay for.  If you've never been, I suggest you try one on your next trip somewhere.  West ed Mall, Wisconsin dells, even Canada's Wonderland in Toronto has a pretty stellar park.. been to them all and will gladly go back.

winner winner chicken dinner

never been to the H20 centre but been to at least 5 different parks, 3 of them indoors and all of them have been a blast.  Lazy rivers to speed slides and all the fun stuff inbetween. kept the kiddos and the big kiddos alike occupied for hours.    Winnipeg is in sore need for something like this and have been for ages.

if you ever feel like driving to Idaho check out Silverwood, awesome fun.

Just goes to show these funding schemes for most arenas and stadiums tend to fall flat on their faces.  I've seen this from governments of all types...left-leaning, centrist and right leaning.  Inherently ridiculous and built on unreasonable expectations and forecasts.  A similar thing is happening just to the south of us with the government funding of the US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.  The state's share of the stadium funding was supposed to be covered by the lottery, but of course there have been massive shortfalls in the first few years...all based on unrealistic projections.

It's pretty telling that the new Save-On Foods chose to open a store in the former Future Shop location right across from Polo Park rather than build on the old stadium site or within the old Target store.  The site is not nearly as desirable as the city or province hoped given there is no way to properly connect Polo Park to it thanks to the other commercial buildings between the two.

20 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

Just goes to show these funding schemes for most arenas and stadiums tend to fall flat on their faces.  I've seen this from governments of all types...left-leaning, centrist and right leaning.  Inherently ridiculous and built on unreasonable expectations and forecasts.  A similar thing is happening just to the south of us with the government funding of the US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.  The state's share of the stadium funding was supposed to be covered by the lottery, but of course there have been massive shortfalls in the first few years...all based on unrealistic projections.

It's pretty telling that the new Save-On Foods chose to open a store in the former Future Shop location right across from Polo Park rather than build on the old stadium site or within the old Target store.  The site is not nearly as desirable as the city or province hoped given there is no way to properly connect Polo Park to it thanks to the other commercial buildings between the two.

Its also gigantic so thats tough. 

25 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

underground moving walkway or shuttle system like they use at some big airports?

it is a huge location and I think thats why they need to look at something that takes up a huge footprint.. like a hotel/waterpark.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

This waterpark sounds more like a Shelbyville kind of idea.

I hear a water park put Brockway, North Haverbrook and Ogdenville on the map...

1 hour ago, blueandgoldguy said:

It's pretty telling that the new Save-On Foods chose to open a store in the former Future Shop location right across from Polo Park 

I drove by there for the first time in a while yesterday and thought to myself... what used to be there?... it was bugging me cuz I thought of BestBuy, Old Navy and Cdn Tire... all of which still exist... so thanks for answering that question...

In regards to the old Target my memory is a bit fuzzy ,  isn't the only way to visit the store space is going up an escalator with a few elevators that you can also ride?    

If that is the case then I can't imagine a food store working well since everyone would be using shopping carts.

18 minutes ago, Brandon said:

In regards to the old Target my memory is a bit fuzzy ,  isn't the only way to visit the store space is going up an escalator with a few elevators that you can also ride?    

If that is the case then I can't imagine a food store working well since everyone would be using shopping carts.

Even the shopping carts used the escalator! (It was kind of cool)

Is that not how it works at SuperStore on Portage Ave?