Frank Renaud Released

Floyd

Just now, Floyd said:

Discuss.

cap/roster management room?  one would assume to bring in someone from down south... but whom.   I'd like to assume another canuck as it would be like for like usually when you drop a canadian..

OR Renauld was considered that poor and they wanted to cut him before cut down date?

12 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I have to wonder how much SMS space this release created, but hopefully this means a better piece is inbound.

Inconsequential, it's the space on the PR that he was occupying that got him cut.  Probably a decent ST player but they need to find players that can eventually start.

On 05/09/2017 at 2:15 PM, Super Duper Negatron said:

Our D problems are solved!

Edit: Whoops, misread that as "Sam Hurl"

We all have Sam Hurl misunderstood. On  the coach's show when asked why Singleton had a gazillion tackles and Hurl had three,  MOS explained it this way. Sam Hurl has a duty out there and it's to make sure everyone is on the same page. He's not there to tackle but more like an overseer. Singleton does not have to worry about his guys so that frees him to tackle as his heart's content.  

But... on Sunday the overseer kind of blew his assingment. Nobody was on the same page, not even  in the same book.

3 hours ago, LeBird said:

We all have Sam Hurl misunderstood. On  the coach's show when asked why Singleton had a gazillion tackles and Hurl had three,  MOS explained it this way. Sam Hurl has a duty out there and it's to make sure everyone is on the same page. He's not there to tackle but more like an overseer. Singleton does not have to worry about his guys so that frees him to tackle as his heart's content.  

But... on Sunday the overseer kind of blew his assingment. Nobody was on the same page, not even  in the same book.

Yeah, I heard that too. But, to be honest, it was pretty ridiculous.   I believe MOS also went on to "explain" that Sam was only appearing to be less effective than  singleton because of the type of offense Sask was running; namely, quick strikes from Kevin Glenn which doesn't allow the middle linebacker to be as effective.  

Course, this explanation utterly failed to address the main contention of the caller which was that Sam's  tackle numbers are considerably lower than any of the top five middle linebackers in the league. In other words, this is not a one game phenomenon driven by a particular opponent. 

Singleton was not simply better than Hurl in one game. Singleton, along with a host of other middle linebackers, is vastly superior to Hurl in every game. And that's why he makes way more tackles. 

Seeing Henoc Muamba apparently returning to form is pretty depressing. 

Edited by deepsixemtoboyd

15 hours ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Yeah, I heard that too. But, to be honest, it was pretty ridiculous.   I believe MOS also went on to "explain" that Sam was only appearing to be less effective than  singleton because of the type of offense Sask was running; namely, quick strikes from Kevin Glenn which doesn't allow the middle linebacker to be as effective.  

Course, this explanation utterly failed to address the main contention of the caller which was that Sam's  tackle numbers are considerably lower than any of the top five middle linebackers in the league. In other words, this is not a one game phenomenon driven by a particular opponent. 

Singleton was not simply better than Hurl in one game. Singleton, along with a host of other middle linebackers, is vastly superior to Hurl in every game. And that's why he makes way more tackles. 

Seeing Henoc Muamba apparently returning to form is pretty depressing. 

OMFG.

again.  Hurl's job is not to be a tacke machine.  His job isn't to be like the traditional MLB in any way, shape or form.  He sets the D, he occupies blockers so the WIL and SAM and DB's can make plays on the ball.  It has no glory and it has no lofty stats BY DESIGN. 

Now, I'm not saying we put Hurl in a traditional MLB role like Singleton and he gets Singleton numbers.   not gonna happen BUT expecting traditional stats and plays from our MLB (NO MATTER WHO IS IN THE ROLE) is stupid because that is not how we deploy our MLB..

I swear to christ, I don't know how many more times I can explain this.   O'shea and Hall have gone on record.. more then a few times to explain this to people.   its not new, its not something that hasn't been discussed.  the sooner we get our collective minds off the traditional MLB roles and realize its not what happens here.. the better.  Until Hall changes his scheme or his players... MLB will always be a low tackle, low glory position occupled by a smart field general type player. 

Now if we land a canadian MLB who has the smarts and skillset.. who knows, maybe Hall expands the role of our MLB but as it stands.. we don't.

2 hours ago, SPuDS said:

OMFG.

again.  Hurl's job is not to be a tackle machine.  His job isn't to be like the traditional MLB in any way, shape or form.  He sets the D, he occupies blockers so the WIL and SAM and DB's can make plays on the ball.  It has no glory and it has no lofty stats BY DESIGN. 

Now, I'm not saying we put Hurl in a traditional MLB role like Singleton and he gets Singleton numbers.   not gonna happen BUT expecting traditional stats and plays from our MLB (NO MATTER WHO IS IN THE ROLE) is stupid because that is not how we deploy our MLB..

I swear to christ, I don't know how many more times I can explain this.   O'Shea and Hall have gone on record.. more then a few times to explain this to people.   its not new, its not something that hasn't been discussed.  the sooner we get our collective minds off the traditional MLB roles and realize its not what happens here.. the better.  Until Hall changes his scheme or his players... MLB will always be a low tackle, low glory position occupied by a smart field general type player. 

Now if we land a Canadian MLB who has the smarts and skillset.. who knows, maybe Hall expands the role of our MLB but as it stands.. we don't.

What O'Shea and Hall say is not as important as the results on the field, and we have the second worst defense in the league. The coaches are not going to criticize Hurl in public out of professionalism and because they have no viable alternative.

6 minutes ago, tracker said:

What O'Shea and Hall say is not as important as the results on the field, and we have the second worst defense in the league. The coaches are not going to criticize Hurl in public out of professionalism and because they have no viable alternative.

what the coaches say is rather important as its the only insight into the defensive schemes and game plans.  otherwise its all guessing, and guess what.. none of us here with the exception of a few former players has any inkling of what to look for to figure out how we are running our defense. 

the final product on the other hand has left us wanting, no doubt.. but thats not the discussion here.  its what we are doing with Hurl and why his totals are so low and why our production from the MLB isn't like other teams.

Just now, White Out said:

ya well you can't really talk past the fact we have the 2nd worst D in the league. Behind only the TiCats, a trainwreck the CFL hasn't witnessed in years.

Our D stinks, the way we deploy Hurl stinks and Hurl himself stinks. Don`t give yourself an aneurysm defending  a very mediocre player. 

holy fak, I am not defending a mediocre player.. I'm explaining the reasons he does what he does! 

does nobody have the ability to comprehend reading here anymore or am I taking crazy pills?  I know he sucks at most of the jobs that the usual MLB does.  He DOESNT suck at occupying the blockers and setting up the defense like he is tasked with doing.  Blitzing, covering receivers, sometimes tackling and sometimes pursuing the ball carrier, ya hes pretty bad at.

9 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

holy fak, I am not defending a mediocre player.. I'm explaining the reasons he does what he does! 

does nobody have the ability to comprehend reading here anymore or am I taking crazy pills?  I know he sucks at most of the jobs that the usual MLB does.  He DOESNT suck at occupying the blockers and setting up the defense like he is tasked with doing.  Blitzing, covering receivers, sometimes tackling and sometimes pursuing the ball carrier, ya hes pretty bad at.

Your alone on this one man. Sorry.

30 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

giphy.gif

Come on, White Out. SPuDs is not defending Hurl- he is trying to provide the rationale for the way things are. There are darned few here who are saying that Hurl is one of the top MLB's in the league, but we are stuck with him. Whether its Walter's inability to find a better alternative or O'Shea's reluctance and/or stubbornness, or Hall's incompetence, it all comes down to the same thing. 

7 hours ago, SPuDS said:

OMFG.

again.  Hurl's job is not to be a tacke machine.  His job isn't to be like the traditional MLB in any way, shape or form.  He sets the D, he occupies blockers so the WIL and SAM and DB's can make plays on the ball.  It has no glory and it has no lofty stats BY DESIGN. 

I swear to christ, I don't know how many more times I can explain this.   O'shea and Hall have gone on record.. more then a few times to explain this to people.   its not new, its not something that hasn't been discussed.  the sooner we get our collective minds off the traditional MLB roles and realize its not what happens here.. the better.  Until Hall changes his scheme or his players... MLB will always be a low tackle, low glory position occupled by a smart field general type player. 

Now if we land a canadian MLB who has the smarts and skillset.. who knows, maybe Hall expands the role of our MLB but as it stands.. we don't.

That may all be true, but all it confirms is that BOTH the system AND the player need to be changed.

Bombers cant stop the run, can't get pressure, are giving up lots of passing yards AND explosion plays. The D is ranked last in the league, so although that explanation may explain why the particular player's numbers are low, it does not justify the overall terrible performance of the D. You can make a very good case that Hurl's low numbers are a contributing factor to the D being terrible, even if it is by design.