what to fix

Booch

8 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What makes you think they did not give Thorpe a shot at kick returns as early as TC and made the decision that Lankford  and Fogg performed better?  None of the great kick returners are out there breaking tackles, they're avoiding them completely and running to space.  Love Thorpe for his ability to break tackles but he hasn't yet shown elusiveness or the ability to find space like Flanders can.

yea I'd see thorpe as a PR kind of return man if anything.

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

I recall them getting lots of pressure and forcing crappy throws..  isn't that kind of the definition of working?

yes they did. While the DT's where on the field. C johnson had a solid game. To be fair Westerman had the lone sack....but it was while Nevis was on the field.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What makes you think they did not give Thorpe a shot at kick returns as early as TC and made the decision that Lankford  and Fogg performed better?  None of the great kick returners are out there breaking tackles, they're avoiding them completely and running to space.  Love Thorpe for his ability to break tackles but he hasn't yet shown elusiveness or the ability to find space like Flanders can.

He got hurt in TC and didn't come back until a few weeks into the regular season.  He may not have had a chance to do kick returns in TC.  Lankford got the job almost by default. 

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Don't get hung up on the 8 NIs "starting" on paper.  That's all it is.  Gives flexibility to move  NI slots to either side of the ball in case of injury, otherwise you are stuck with where you started the 7.

But you can't use a DI to replace a national starter so you have effectively lost one starting international spot that a DI could have been used to substitute.

Problem is... Bombers did get pressure... Its just Glenn is very good at getting rid of the ball quickly... Its not like he sat back in the pocket.. He just got rid of it quickly. How you counter attack that is... When you do get a shot to nail him... You do it.. And hard. Glenn will then start to turtle. Problem at the LDC is they had a chance to nail him but missed... Cuz our tackling is poor. 

Edited by Goalie

24 minutes ago, pigseye said:

But you can't use a DI to replace a national starter so you have effectively lost one starting international spot that a DI could have been used to substitute.

Nope.  You have a backup import on your roster who isn't declared as a DI who can sub in for anyone as long as your declared ratio numbers on that side of the ball are fulfilled. 

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nope.  You have a backup import on your roster who isn't declared as a DI who can sub in for anyone as long as your declared ratio numbers on that side of the ball are fulfilled. 

That's not what I said, I said you have lost an international starting spot that a DI could have been used to replace. A DI could not be used to replace that backup import because you declared the position as a starting national.

19 minutes ago, pigseye said:

That's not what I said, I said you have lost an international starting spot that a DI could have been used to replace. A DI could not be used to replace that backup import because you declared the position as a starting national.

Nobody is declared but the QB's and DI's.  See if you can figure out how it works from there.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nobody is declared but the QB's and DI's.  See if you can figure out how it works from there.

So while there is nothing explicit stating the number of International/National on the field (giving teams the flexibility to decide across offence/defence how they want to deploy their roster), the restrictions on the International players results in a minimum number of National starters coaches must declare when submitting game rosters (and no ability for those National players to be replaced by a designated international). If teams decide to start less than the 16 Internationals allowed, those backup International players are allowed to replace a National.

https://cfldb.ca/2013/10/understanding-roster-restrictions/

Sorry you didn't like my choice of words but that's how the rules read.

17 minutes ago, pigseye said:

That's not the rules that's a fan article on a website.  

Teams declare a number of NIs on each side of the ball and must maintain that as minimum, but it has nothing to do with positions. If Loffler went out we could go all import in the secondary and replace the NI spot anywhere on D if we were starting 7 NIs.

The only positions that are declared are DIs, who can only sub in balance of the ratio and QBs.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Yeah except the rules actually read that you are limiting the number of americans not having a minimum required Canadians. 

That's where the designated import comes in, the numbers work out such that you only have enough Americans on your roster who aren't designated imports to leave 7 Canadian starting positions. You start more Canadians you have american backups who aren't designated imports  and they can come in when ever and where ever you want them to. It's the guys with a DI tag that need to replace another american on the field.