Looking Ahead: Winnipeg Vs BC

5 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

It may have been. 

Do you remember another Wpg/BC game where Reinbold ran out to the 55 all smiling and anticipating a warm post game handshake.... but Adam Rita was livid about some perceived injustice & was ready to mix it up with our coach. He had to be separated by the players? High-larious.

Yup, after Bomber DB Davis laid a pretty bad cheap shot on Damon Allen.   Pretty good scrum ensued.  Rita was still jacked about that at the end of the game, and gave Dr. Jeff a healthy shove.

36 minutes ago, Chaosmonkey said:

Odd question, but any recommendations on where to watch the game in Kenora?

We usually watch it at Casey's, but if I'm going ANYWHERE in Kenora, it's Lake Of The Woods Brew Co.....say what you want about the beers, but the menu is great and it's a wicked vibe in the taproom!!

4 hours ago, lyin' guy said:

Burnett won the job in camp......probably because Awe is a rookie.  Wally tends to shy away from first year players.  Awe can play; so can Davis.  Lions don't give up too much not having Burnett in.

My opinion only.

Please tell me there is someone he hangs out with who has the nickname "Shock".

4 hours ago, do or die said:

Yup, after Bomber DB Davis laid a pretty bad cheap shot on Damon Allen.   Pretty good scrum ensued.  Rita was still jacked about that at the end of the game, and gave Dr. Jeff a healthy shove.

An OL from our side got into it with rita. I wanna say chris perez. And was then traded to bc. For khari jones. 

This is going to be a very tough game for the Bombers, but I wish them well, and am hoping they can keep it close.

It is hard for the Bombers in this one for 2 reasons:

First, BC has a mobile QB as well as excellent receivers. For decades, Bombers have never had the answer for a QB who can use his legs to open up the pass. Organizationally Bombers have some kind of a mental block to obtaining personnel and strategies to counter this. In the West Semi last year BC started to beat Wpg easily as soon as Jennings started to run on them. And the QB running really opens up that Khari offence because he understands very well the value of throwing down the field and stretching things out.

Second, the Bomber O does not have much confidence in their receiving corps and BC is very aggressive at shutting down the pass. Hopefully not, but if Bombers retract into that shell of not throwing more than 3 yards downfield all game, then it will be very difficult to beat the Lions, even if the defense holds the receivers and QB scrambling in check. Bombers have apparently not yet learned the value of throwing down the field and configured their team better to do so.

Could be a long night if both of those issues surface simultaneously, although this team is also more than capable personnel wise of not letting that happen. I'm very interested to see how well the DLine keeps the scrambling in check and if the Bombers can get any separation from the DBs down the field in this one...

On 2017-07-21 at 6:21 PM, tracker said:

I'm still waiting for Faith Whasizname to show up.

yea really sucks when a rookie DT doesn't just light it up right out of the gate huh.

who'd have thought he may need to adjust to all the nuances of the game or develop his skillset a tad more.. or maybe even work on his conditioning considering how much more reps and how fast the game is..

46 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

yea really sucks when a rookie DT doesn't just light it up right out of the gate huh.

who'd have thought he may need to adjust to all the nuances of the game or develop his skillset a tad more.. or maybe even work on his conditioning considering how much more reps and how fast the game is..

No one is expecting him to dominate the first season, but seeing him get near the opposing QB every now and again would be nice.

57 minutes ago, tracker said:

No one is expecting him to dominate the first season, but seeing him get near the opposing QB every now and again would be nice.

How much field time do you expect him to get, exactly, when you've got Drake Nevis and Poop Johnson playing as well as they are? And then you've got Jake Thomas seeing a fair bit of time because he's playing well.... Yiure expecting WAY too much out of a 1st year guy who's not out there much... 

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

How much field time do you expect him to get, exactly, when you've got Drake Nevis and Poop Johnson playing as well as they are? And then you've got Jake Thomas seeing a fair bit of time because he's playing well.... Yiure expecting WAY too much out of a 1st year guy who's not out there much... 

In fairness, I was told Ekakite got a little over hyped based on his film vs what we've seen of him in TC and PS. The only way he would have seen significant time this year is if Poop didn't pan out and Thomas was the entrenched starter, and even then would be spot duty to give Thomas a breather.  

We got him inked for 3 years,  no real need to rush him at this point.

Vandervoort was the right play at first overall, IMO.  We took Ekakatie with the expectation Thomas would be starting and we needed a capable backup.  Now that didn't happen so the positional need was only imagined and the skill-level of the player is not equal to what a first overall should be.

Basically we reached for a positional need that wasn't actually a need.  Kinda the worst thing you can do.

I still think Ekakatie has lots of potential, I'm just not sure he was the best use of that pick.  

All that being said, it looks like this was a pretty weak draft so I'm not sure it's worth crying over.

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Vandervoort was the right play at first overall, IMO.  We took Ekakatie with the expectation Thomas would be starting and we needed a capable backup.  Now that didn't happen so the positional need was only imagined and the skill-level of the player is not equal to what a first overall should be.

Basically we reached for a positional need that wasn't actually a need.  Kinda the worst thing you can do.

I still think Ekakatie has lots of potential, I'm just not sure he was the best use of that pick.  

All that being said, it looks like this was a pretty weak draft so I'm not sure it's worth crying over.

Agreed. He'd have been a nice acquisition or perhaps Cameron Judge. Someone with NAT status to backup and eventually replace Hurl would've been nice, IMO.

you need depth at the lines.. either o-line or d-line.  Canadian depth there is paramount.  Could we have used a bona-fide canadian receiver?  Sure.. but not as important as having a canadian tackle IMO.  we simply don't use the receiver spot as everyone seems to think we should.  JFG or whomever rises to the top of the pile eventually will be adequate until we switch OC's and they appreciate that spot more.  As for  MLB, I don't know if im sold on Judge as a legit starter.. he seems like a career teamer to me BUT in our defense, maybe he would have excelled at Hurl's role?   Dependant of course if he has the smarts and skill set to run the defense like Hurl is expected to...

I really don't see anything wrong with the Ekakatie pick at all and people getting uppity about his lack of reps are really reaching for stuff at this point IMO.. none of the other first rounders picked, I think anyway, would have benefited us more.  Maaaaaaaaaybe, like mentioned, Vandervoort but again, we use the 5th receiver so sparingly.