Game 47 : Jets @ Sharks - West Coast Story

14 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Remember in 2014 early 2015 when Buff's contract was coming up in a year and many Jets fans thought they were witnessing the all new improved real Buff? Now that we're almost a year past the re-signing ...

rzYv4.gif

29 other teams would take him in a heart beat.

Yes, he's faltered of late, but no, you don't trade him. You show some patience. He will step it back up. 

53 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Basically, you pay Trouba $8 million a season for seven years and make Buff your second pairing D...  that's the only out I can see

Yes and again, read Lawless because he often speculated about things that will happen.  He says put Trouba and Morrissey together as top pairing.

Buff is unique and a great asset when everything else is working.  he's not a D man.  He's a rover.  We're lucky to have him but everything else has to be working for him to be the best at what he does.

The other thing about Buff is that you can't ever expect 82 games, or anything close to that, from a guy his size. He can't play at his best for more than maybe 50 games, because he just gets worn down too fast. If you can get top notch Buff for about half the season, and then 75% Buff for 1/4 and then Whatever He's Got Buff for 1/4......that's about the best season from the big man.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

The other thing about Buff is that you can't ever expect 82 games, or anything close to that, from a guy his size. He can't play at his best for more than maybe 50 games, because he just gets worn down too fast. If you can get top notch Buff for about half the season, and then 75% Buff for 1/4 and then Whatever He's Got Buff for 1/4......that's about the best season from the big man.

Getting him down to 20 minutes a game would help a lot too.  Let Trouba play 27 minutes.  I guess Trouba played 31 last game.  Let him and Morrissey eat the minutes.  If you want to sign Trouba long term that's his role, so give it to him.  And try to get him to sign a deal this summer.  In the meantime, try to trade Toby so you dont have to protect 4 D in the expansion draft.  Pens could use him...see what it would take.

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Getting him down to 20 minutes a game would help a lot too.  Let Trouba play 27 minutes.  I guess Trouba played 31 last game.  Let him and Morrissey eat the minutes.  If you want to sign Trouba long term that's his role, so give it to him.  And try to get him to sign a deal this summer.  In the meantime, try to trade Toby so you dont have to protect 4 D in the expansion draft.  Pens could use him...see what it would take.

How could the Pens fit him in under the cap? Don't see that happening.

I think Buff could play 22 - 24 minutes a night. Beyond that and it's trouble.

I would like to see Morrissey and Trouba together. If Trouba re-signs, that's your pairing for the next 5 plus years anyhow.

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I feel like that's what happened in November... Jets just ran him down 

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

No one is trading for Enstrom at $5.6 million...  Jets would have to eat half his salary

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

There are teams out there in the east who would trade for Toby. Probably would have to take back a cap dump but it's possible 

The east... sounds like a heavenly place...

Name one of the top ten teams in the east that needs an undersized defenceman with a long stick.

Carolina? ... to replace Ron Hainsey ha?

Edited by Floyd

11 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The east... sounds like a heavenly place...

Name one of the top ten teams in the east that needs an undersized defenceman with a long stick.

Carolina? ... to replace Ron Hainsey ha?

Pittsburgh. They were talking to the Jets last year about him apparently.  

Washington.  Tampa.  There are teams out there who value defensively responsible players 

Just now, Goalie said:

Pittsburgh. They were talking to the Jets last year about him apparently.  

Washington.  Tampa.  There are teams out there who value defensively responsible players 

Pittsburgh and Tampa are up against the cap... maybe if Jets retain all of Toby's salary.

As for Washington, what are they sending back?

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

listening to 1290 today, one of the hosts said the Jets have the highest salary for defence, in the NHL.

Yup. And Morrossey is on rookie deal and trouba is a bargain.  Keep in mind though that Myers is paid less than his cap hit. He's the key to cash flexibility. 

Toby has one year left. If they don't trade him I see them signing a three year extension. But again he'd look great in Pitts. I believe Pens have some expiring contracts for next season so it might work. 

22 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes and again, read Lawless because he often speculated about things that will happen.  He says put Trouba and Morrissey together as top pairing.

Buff is unique and a great asset when everything else is working.  he's not a D man.  He's a rover.  We're lucky to have him but everything else has to be working for him to be the best at what he does.

Well said.

17 hours ago, Mark F said:

listening to 1290 today, one of the hosts said the Jets have the highest salary for defence, in the NHL.

I'm not a Toby-hater as much as most people but he is quite overpaid no matter which way you spin it.  But I am surprised the Jets D salary is the HIGHEST....

17 hours ago, Goalie said:

7.5 for buff and 5.5 plus for Toby and Myers will do that.  Thought we were up there but... didn't think we were the highest. Thought top 5 for sure. But how is Nashville less. Josi on some sort of super bargain?  

4M/year... So yes, a very good bargain.  Plus Subban at 9M, two guys at 2.5 and 3.75 and the rest on entry-level deals.