Chevy

Ducky

• 2 weeks later...

“There is some tremendous excitement in some of the young players that are here but the reality is we are trying to win each and every game and its important that we find a way to get on a roll at some point and time here. Certainly would love to change some of those streaks that go in the wrong direction but that’s all part of it and if we can get the roster healthy here I’m looking forward to taking a run.”

Who are you talking to Chevy? Someone that hasn't watched the team this year? The only run you're going on is headed south. Lose tomorrow and I rank us ahead of the Isles, AZ, and the Avs...

Edited by Ducky

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

“There is some tremendous excitement in some of the young players that are here but the reality is we are trying to win each and every game and its important that we find a way to get on a roll at some point and time here. Certainly would love to change some of those streaks that go in the wrong direction but that’s all part of it and if we can get the roster healthy here I’m looking forward to taking a run.”

Who are you talking to Chevy? Someone that hasn't watched the team this year? The only run you're going on is headed south. Lose tomorrow and I rank us ahead of the Isles, AZ, and the Avs...

Actually this is exactly what he needs to say. This is what fans need to hear, it's not overly flowery and unrealistic. It's a matter of fact.

I don't mean to sound so negative since that loss but as far as I'm concerned, it cinched not making the playoffs for us. Too many "stars" had such horrid games in such an important game. If my math is correct, we need 57 points (90 points for the season) in 47 games to sneak into the playoffs.

28-18-1? doubt it

26-14-5? doubt it

I'd rather talk about what management is going to do once Armia and Matthias are back after the break. I like the fact that Petan started last night and showed well for first game back from injury. Now, put him on the same PP unit as Laine.

I honestly think Thorbs is here for the rest of the season so I'm not going to mention him and pretend his ass is pressboxed with Stuart's for the rest of the season.

One of or both of Burmi and Staf need to go and it doesn't really matter where. Traded or Moose, do it. I know his 4.35m and Pavs' 3.9m doesn't look good but neither does his play. Burmi would not be missed.

That leaves us with ESL, Wheeler, Armia, Dano, Little, Lowry, Petan, MP, Copp, Matthias, Tanev. That is 13 players so one of these rides the pine, not necessarily the same player every game. Missing anyone?

Edited by Ducky

If Myers is healthy, this team is probably in the wildcard race...  Other than that, I don't see anything that would have made a difference - even Little.  If Petan is inserted in the lineup instead of promoting Burmistrov, maybe we don't miss Little as much.

The team is better with Stafford and Stuart injured.  

The Jets are no different from Canucks - always in a 'half-rebuild' - except Chevy's rebuild is signing Tanev, Strait and Howden...

Guess signing Matthias and Perreault don't count cuz they have actually been decent? Tanev is a damn good energy player on the 4th line, he's ideal there, he was a good signing. Guessing Hutch wasn't a free agent signing at one point either?  This idea that Winnipeg can attract these high profile free agents, GET IT OUT OF YOUR HEAD... it won't happen. They are Draft and Develop and always will be until they consistently win even then high profile FA's won't want to come here... we just aren't at the top of the FA destination list, The quicker you get that, the quicker you let these things go.

It's interesting tho, considering our younger players have been the players who have consistently brought it every game this year and our veterans are the ones who have struggled the most. 

Myers automatically fixes all our issues? LOL, c'mon man, he's not friggin crosby. 

Edited by Goalie

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Guess signing Matthias and Perreault don't count cuz they have actually been decent? Tanev is a damn good energy player on the 4th line, he's ideal there, he was a good signing. Guessing Hutch wasn't a free agent signing at one point either?  This idea that Winnipeg can attract these high profile free agents, GET IT OUT OF YOUR HEAD... it won't happen. They are Draft and Develop and always will be until they consistently win even then high profile FA's won't want to come here... we just aren't at the top of the FA destination list, The quicker you get that, the quicker you let these things go.

Myers automatically fixes all our issues? LOL, c'mon man, he's not friggin crosby. 

Once again, you're basically arguing my point that big name free agents aren't a part of the picture but with more words and making it sound like its your idea, ha.  

You're point doesn't even make sense - defend Chevy's free agent signings - by listing Matthias, MP and Hutch ...??? - and then say free agents aren't part of the deal.  You're just on here to argue today.

And I said Myers is better than Postma/Chiarot not 'fixing all our issues'...  pretty fkn obvious.

Myers is better than those two but they shouldn't be in the league.

Myers would be our 3rd best RHD and 5th best D man. Should have been traded a year ago. Bring in a 3RHD that makes 1.5m-2m or so that knows what to do with the puck in his own zone.

I think we'll see Myers or Trouba moved at, just before, or just after the expansion/entry drafts. I hope it is Myers. No need for a big, soft, always injured D man that takes up 5.5m of the salary cap.

Hardly. I'm just here to bring you back to the reality that is WINNIPEG. we aren't a free agent destination, we never will be, no high profile FA is going to sign here..OK, let's do this, WHO should Chevy have signed this off-season? That's part 1 and part 2, Cuz it's a 2 parter, Which young guy's spot should they have taken? Armia? Dano? Copp? Tanev? These guys have been good when healthy. Which superstar veteran free agent should Chevy have signed. 

Edited by Goalie

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Hardly. I'm just here to bring you back to the reality that is WINNIPEG. we aren't a free agent destination, we never will be, no high profile FA is going to sign here..OK, let's do this, WHO should Chevy have signed this off-season? That's part 1 and part 2, Cuz it's a 2 parter, Which young guy's spot should they have taken? Armia? Dano? Copp? Tanev? These guys have been good when healthy. Which superstar veteran free agent should Chevy have signed. 

You off your meds or something?!!  Are you sure you're not getting me mixed up with Ducky's Alzner obsession...?  ha

Where did I mention that Chevy should have signed a big name free agent...?  I said these are Chevy's free agent signings... that's it.

As for 'big names' and 'get used to it', $3.1 million gets you Kris Russell for one year - he's not a big name who would say no to Winnipeg but he'd be solid D depth.  For the same price, we got Matthias and Howden.  More forwards on a team loaded with young forwards.

Oh and as for part 2 - in one breath you defend Matthias as a great signing... but all he does is take up a spot that should be open for one of our 'draft and develop' guys...  

When I say REBUILD - I mean plug as many prospects and youth into this lineup and see what happens...  nothing to lose at this point.

Petan is as good as Perrault, Armia and Dano are better than Matthias... everyone is better than Stafford.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Buff and Wheeler signed here rather than go to UFA.  Both players would have been cream of the crop Free Agents had they done so.  Is that the same as getting someone else's FA? Not exactly.  But it dismisses the idea players dont want to play here. 

Counter point being that Frolik fled as soon as he could and some would say that Ladd made it impossible for the Jets to resign him with what he was supposedly asking. A player like Crosby or Ov or Stamkos would never ever sign in Winnipeg, its sad to say but it's just the way it is. Now middle of the road free agents will take the money offered and play any where.

22 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Counter point being that Frolik fled as soon as he could and some would say that Ladd made it impossible for the Jets to resign him with what he was supposedly asking. A player like Crosby or Ov or Stamkos would never ever sign in Winnipeg, its sad to say but it's just the way it is. Now middle of the road free agents will take the money offered and play any where.

Funny that Ovie and Stamkos are trailing Scheifele in the points race... 

or are you suggesting elite players like Laine and Ehlers will leave as soon as they can?

24 minutes ago, bustamente said:

That's not really a counterpoint.  Frolik left because of money and term we were (or weren't) offering.  Besides, it's not as though he went from here to NY or LA - it's Calgary.  They are right there with us and Edmonton as far as least-desirable. 

41 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Crosby, Ov & Stamkos have their choice of 30 teams.  Not many players do.  And Stamkos very nearly considered going elseware.  Again, just like Wheeler and Buff here, he chose Tampa but if he played for Edmonton and became a FA, maybe he doesnt choose Tampa.  They had a leg up because he was already there.

When a player has their choice of 30 teams and nearly maximum dollars from those teams, Winnipeg isnt the only one not on the list.  If it was me, I'd want a chance to win, but how the organization treats me matters...plus the taxes matter, which gives Florida a big advantage, especially against Canadian teams.  Weather wouldnt bug me so much because when Im home Im working.  But my wife and kids would have an impact.

Frolik left but some say it was his wife's decision and they moved to another Canadian team but one that was bigger.

It might be nice to land Crosby, Ov or Stamkos in Free Agency but guess what, the other teams they didnt play for had the same chance as Winnipeg.  Zero.  Because they've never been free agents.  So it's moot.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

That's not really a counterpoint.  Frolik left because of money and term we were (or weren't) offering.  Besides, it's not as though he went from here to NY or LA - it's Calgary.  They are right there with us and Edmonton as far as least-desirable. 

Born bred and will die here in Winnipeg but i would never compare Calgary to Winnipeg we are not even close to that city in terms of what is offers the people that live there.

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

Born bred and will die here in Winnipeg but i would never compare Calgary to Winnipeg we are not even close to that city in terms of what is offers the people that live there.

Only a born and bred Winnipegger would make that claim... Calgary sucks.

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Does anyone think Chevy wanted to sign Trouba to a bridge deal and held out until he signed it?

No.  I think Chevy wanted a long term deal and agreed to compromise when Trouba agreed to sign a lower salary on a bridge deal.  And there might be a promise to trade him...who knows.