Chevy

Ducky

Talk about anything you want about Chevy in here but I was just noticing that after this year, we are 20m under the cap and in pretty good shape as far as RFAs and UFAs goes. We are losing Staf's and Pavs' contracts and some smaller ones too. Combine those two with Thorbs and 9.45m comes off of the books.

UFAs

Pavs  ...  gone

Staf  ...  gone

Peluso  ...  gone

Strait  ...  gone

Thorbs ...  gone

Postma  ... depends what happens on the D...if things stay the same, I'd offer him a one year deal. He is making 887.5k this year. I am guessing he is gone.

There are some RFAs that won't make the Jets or aren't really in the future plans so I won't comment on them.

Copp  ...  re-sign to a 2 year bridge for .9 - 1.2 m per year.

Dano  ...  re-sign to a 2 year bridge for .9 - 1.2 m per year.

Tanev  ...  re-sign to a 2 year bridge for .9 - 1.2 m per year.

Chiarot  ...  re-sign him to a one year deal with a slight raise from his 850k contract.

Helle  ...  re-sign him to a 2 year bridge for 2m? a year...or do you re-sign him for 5 years at more per year? I say the bridge.

Which leads us to Burmi  ...  I wouldn't give him a qualifying offer if he isn't moved to be honest. Let him go play in the homeland.

I wonder if Chevy goes after someone like Alzner in free agency? I would love to see him in a Jets' uni next year.

20m is a lot of cap space and I know Chevy will need it in the upcoming years after next year but he has done a bang up job of keeping the finances in order so far.

Plus, he is bringing in a lot of young talent which certainly helps the overall salary.

I think he had done an outstanding job at the draft table and has assembled one of the best prospect pools in the league. Look at the young talent he has brought to the team...

Scheif, Lowry, Helle and Armia are only 23 and Copp, Dano, and Trouba are all 22.

Petan and Morrissey are only 21. Connor and Ehlers are 20 and Laine is 18!!!!!

That's 12 players born 1993 or later. That is also not counting players like Roslo and Lemieux and Comrie that should be with the big team soon or players like Tanev and Burmi that are a wee bit older but don't have the years in the league.

He's done very well drafting.

I think Chevy went out and found Maurice or did his background checking or whatever you call it whereas Noel was waiting in the wings. Nothing wrong with Maurice as a coach for where this team is. Not sure about three years from now but he isn't really hurting the team.....he warned that the lines would be juggled before the season started. I expect he will get a two or three year extension shortly after Chevy gets his extension. Maurice has his pros and cons just like every coach.

Okay, let's look at Chevy's drafting...

There are some really excellent picks in the first round and, for that alone, he deserves tons of credit. I don't think he's really made a mistake with his first round picks.

Sheif - when others had him ranked much lower, Chevy saw the elite number centre he could be.

Morrissey - after just missing out on Domi, he reached to grab Morrissey. "Everyone" had Morrissey as a deep first round pick but Chevy knew better. I think he was right.

Connor - Wonderfully fell into his lap.

Trouba - I think he was picked where he was suppose to go.

Roslovic - remains to be seen but he seems like a future number 2 centre.

Stanley - wait and see.

Laine - Bust.

Now, who has Chevy drafted outside the 1st round that will make a lasting impact.

Lowry - what a solid pick. They knew he could move from the wing to centre. And they were right.

Petan - great pick. Whether he makes it as a regular NHLer still remains to be seen but you can't complain about taking a chance on an undersized, skill guy.

Who else?

9 hours ago, Ducky said:

I think Chevy went out and found Maurice or did his background checking or whatever you call it whereas Noel was waiting in the wings. Nothing wrong with Maurice as a coach for where this team is. Not sure about three years from now but he isn't really hurting the team.....he warned that the lines would be juggled before the season started. I expect he will get a two or three year extension shortly after Chevy gets his extension. Maurice has his pros and cons just like every coach.

The thing about Maurice is that he fits the Jets so well in terms of how the coach/team conducts business. His personality reflects management/ownership.

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

Okay, let's look at Chevy's drafting...

There are some really excellent picks in the first round and, for that alone, he deserves tons of credit. I don't think he's really made a mistake with his first round picks.

Sheif - when others had him ranked much lower, Chevy saw the elite number centre he could be.

Morrissey - after just missing out on Domi, he reached to grab Morrissey. "Everyone" had Morrissey as a deep first round pick but Chevy knew better. I think he was right.

Connor - Wonderfully fell into his lap.

Trouba - I think he was picked where he was suppose to go.

Roslovic - remains to be seen but he seems like a future number 2 centre.

Stanley - wait and see.

Laine - Bust.

Now, who has Chevy drafted outside the 1st round that will make a lasting impact.

Lowry - what a solid pick. They knew he could move from the wing to centre. And they were right.

Petan - great pick. Whether he makes it as a regular NHLer still remains to be seen but you can't complain about taking a chance on an undersized, skill guy.

Who else?

Here is a list of all the Jets draft picks since they returned.  Once you get into the 3rd round and beyond, your batting record is going to be pretty low for most teams NHL wise, but the Moose are now pretty stacked with drafted talent, especially compared to the sad state we inherited from Atlanta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Winnipeg_Jets_draft_picks

2011 - After Scheifele (1) and Lowry (2), not much here.  Brassard had a cup of coffee with the Moose Kasdorf (AHl / ECHL so far) was traded in the Kane deal.

2012 - Trouba (1), Sutter (2) was a bust.  Kosmachuk (3) AHL player / injury callup in the NHL, Hellebuyck (5) starting this year, Ryan Olsen (6) AHL, Jamie Phillips (7) starting to make some noise as a goalie, still murky on if he will have an NHL future though.\

2013 - Morrissey (1), Petan (2), Comrie (2), James Lodge (3) AHL, Lipon (3) AHL, Copp (4) Solid 3rd / 4th line NHL, Kostalek (4) AHL, Tucker Poolman (5) still have hope but with NCAA, Kichton (7) AHL

2014 - Ehlers (1), Jack Glover (3) NCAA - Still a potential NHL prospect, Chase De Leo (4) AHL, Nelson Nogier (4) AHL, 

2015 - Connor (1),  Roslovic (1) AHL, the rest too early to tell

2016 - Laine (1), the rest too early to tell

16 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

As a smaller market team, spending tight up to the cap is a huge uncertain. Purely from a capitalist point of view, I can hear 'can't do it'. 

Chipman has been consistent in saying he would spend to the cap if the team was ready to legitimately compete for the cup.  I'd take that to mean they'd spend more on a year to year basis and when they thought they had a real chance, they'd bring in some players (maybe rentals, maybe one year remaining type guys).

The "not a cap team" stuff began the second the NHL returned and no one knew (well some of us did) how successful it would be.  The Jets operations make a profit every year.  If you factor in the spin off revenue that Chipman and his family/companies make directly and indirectly due to the Jets return, then they can afford whatever it costs.

10 hours ago, Ducky said:

At the time, Lawless reported it as Chevy wanted Maurice and once he knew he could have him, he made the coaching change.  It was stated as a scenario where Chevy wanted Maurice badly.

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

Here is a list of all the Jets draft picks since they returned.  Once you get into the 3rd round and beyond, your batting record is going to be pretty low for most teams NHL wise, but the Moose are now pretty stacked with drafted talent, especially compared to the sad state we inherited from Atlanta.

2011 - After Scheifele (1) and Lowry (2), not much here.  Brassard had a cup of coffee with the Moose Kasdorf (AHl / ECHL so far) was traded in the Kane deal.

2012 - Trouba (1), Sutter (2) was a bust.  Kosmachuk (3) AHL player / injury callup in the NHL, Hellebuyck (5) starting this year, Ryan Olsen (6) AHL, Jamie Phillips (7) starting to make some noise as a goalie, still murky on if he will have an NHL future though.\

2013 - Morrissey (1), Petan (2), Comrie (2), James Lodge (3) AHL, Lipon (3) AHL, Copp (4) Solid 3rd / 4th line NHL, Kostalek (4) AHL, Tucker Poolman (5) still have hope but with NCAA, Kichton (7) AHL

2014 - Ehlers (1), Jack Glover (3) NCAA - Still a potential NHL prospect, Chase De Leo (4) AHL, Nelson Nogier (4) AHL, 

2015 - Connor (1),  Roslovic (1) AHL, the rest too early to tell

2016 - Laine (1), the rest too early to tell

Thats pretty solid.  Even those ones that look like AHL career players are good players (and you need skill in the AHL too), many of whom are borderline NHL call ups.

31 minutes ago, Rich said:

Off topic, but after a L a few games back I'm listening to the postgame show on 1290, usual litany of nutjobs calling in....

One guy, who was dead serious, was claiming ATL's prospects were just as highly regarded as what we have now.  I'm thinking to myself... we had Patrice Cormier, and what else exactly?  Burmistrov and Postma? Anthony Stewart?  That's either the ultimate troll job or the guy's literally off his meds.

From memory alone, I remember "our" prospect pool from ATL being a pile of hot garbage. 

41 minutes ago, Rich said:

Geez, how could I forget the goalies and Copp. All three solid picks.

And I left off Ehlers from my first rounders.

Chevy has definitely, restocked the farm with talented players, that can play for the big club if necessary.

Just now, Jimmy Pop said:

From memory alone, I remember "our" prospect pool from ATL being a pile of hot garbage. 

...which only further illustrates how well Chevy has done.  Also - is he / was he not working with a lot of the same scouting staff from ATL?  'Cuz if so, I wonder how much blame Waddel deserves for the Thrashers mess.

What impresses me most of our first rounders is only Laine was a top 5 pick.  It's not as though we've been drafting from Edm's position before this past draft.  Lowry and Copp have certainly been good value for where they were chosen.  

Chevy gets some heat from the keyboard warriors for the lone playoff appearance and 0 postseason wins - but considering how young and talented we are, and considering we haven't really had to sit through much of a tanked season - I like what he's done.

Next few years will be fascinating. By this time next season they just simply have to have a better record, too much talent not to.  Chevy is safe, but I start to wonder how much leash Maurice will have if this season ends with us hovering around .500 and not gaining much traction Ws/Ls wise. 

34 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Chipman has been consistent in saying he would spend to the cap if the team was ready to legitimately compete for the cup.  I'd take that to mean they'd spend more on a year to year basis and when they thought they had a real chance, they'd bring in some players (maybe rentals, maybe one year remaining type guys).

The "not a cap team" stuff began the second the NHL returned and no one knew (well some of us did) how successful it would be.  The Jets operations make a profit every year.  If you factor in the spin off revenue that Chipman and his family/companies make directly and indirectly due to the Jets return, then they can afford whatever it costs.

Hope you're right.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

...which only further illustrates how well Chevy has done.  Also - is he / was he not working with a lot of the same scouting staff from ATL?  'Cuz if so, I wonder how much blame Waddel deserves for the Thrashers mess.

Comeau, who was the Jets head scout until last year was also a scout with Atlanta, but I believe they changed a lot of the scouts under him and increased their numbers as well.    

This was an article from 2014, but it shows how the Jets have invested heavily into their scouting.  It wasn't just lip service that they were going to be a draft and develop team.  If you know you aren't going to be in the running for a lot of free agents and rely on the draft, you need to do better then average in drafting.

http://www.canescountry.com/2014/4/21/5625796/nhl-scouting-staffs-carolina-is-light

After a compiling of information made available on every team's home page, I put together the following chart, which shows the total number of scouts listed for each franchise.

The highest total is 24, a number which is employed by the Jets, Maple Leafs, and Sabres.  The lowest total is seven, by Columbus.  The Hurricanes are next lowest with eight, but that is including Marshall Johnston, who is in his 70's and is near retirement.

The average number of scouts per team is 15.

Having talent isnt just about those specific players either.  You need assets to make trades too.  And we had none.  Yes, Kane ended up being a windfall for the Jets so thank you to the Thrashers for that.  Then again, if Kane had been developed by the Jets maybe he'd be better and less of an ass.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Having talent isnt just about those specific players either.  You need assets to make trades too.  And we had none.  Yes, Kane ended up being a windfall for the Jets so thank you to the Thrashers for that.  Then again, if Kane had been developed by the Jets maybe he'd be better and less of an ass.

Have to wonder if they Jets would have even drafted Kane, or would his attitude have come through in the interviews.

Evander was a 4th overall pick.  Some notable players to be drafted after him, Brayden Shenn (5), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (6), Nazem Kadri (7).

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

Have to wonder if they Jets would have even drafted Kane, or would his attitude have come through in the interviews.

Evander was a 4th overall pick.  Some notable players to be drafted after him, Brayden Shenn (5), Oliver Ekman-Larsson (6), Nazem Kadri (7).

think for a second what this current roster plus OEL would look like?!  He would have been a perrrrrrrrfect fit.... smooth skating Swede who would have been Tobias Funke's heir apparent.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Heck they already proved this 2 years ago by bringing in Stempniak and Tlusty and those extra dmen. 

Same can be said about bogo. Maybe Pietrangelo is taken instead or Burmi and either Schwartz or Tarasenko instead. 

Jets have some pretty interesting prospects drafted later... guys like Eric Foley Sami Niku Tucker Poolman CJ Franklin even. Quite a few more but those stand out 

Bogo and Kaner were rated very high in their draft years....Kaner never should have come straight to the bigs....Bogo either really. If you go back and take a look at the Thrasher's draft picks for 5 or 6 years before they came here you would see that they traded away some 2nd round picks. Also, they seemed to be, overall,  a poor judge of talent.

2010 Burmi and no 2nd

2009- Kane and in 2nd they got Klingberg and Morin

2008- Bogo and Leveille were 1st rounders and Leveille was never signed...no 2nd

2007- no picks in 1st or 2nd

2006- 2nd Holzapfel and Little in 1st

2005- they had one 1st round pick and three 2nd rounders and only Pavs (2nd round) played a game in the NHL...

Six years of 1st and 2nd round picks and 4 players still in the league.... One of them is 8th overall pick Burmi.... They had 3 years with no 2nd round picks and one year no picks until the 3rd round!

Compare that to Chevy's drafting. Sutter, a 2nd round pick, didn't pan out but he has been stellar at the draft table.