Chevy

Ducky

33 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Bogo and Kaner were rated very high in their draft years....Kaner never should have come straight to the bigs....Bogo either really. If you go back and take a look at the Thrasher's draft picks for 5 or 6 years before they came here you would see that they traded away some 2nd round picks. Also, they seemed to be, overall,  a poor judge of talent.

2010 Burmi and no 2nd

2009- Kane and in 2nd they got Klingberg and Morin

2008- Bogo and Leveille were 1st rounders and Leveille was never signed...no 2nd

2007- no picks in 1st or 2nd

2006- 2nd Holzapfel and Little in 1st

2005- they had one 1st round pick and three 2nd rounders and only Pavs (2nd round) played a game in the NHL...

Six years of 1st and 2nd round picks and 4 players still in the league.... One of them is 8th overall pick Burmi.... They had 3 years with no 2nd round picks and one year no picks until the 3rd round!

Compare that to Chevy's drafting. Sutter, a 2nd round pick, didn't pan out but he has been stellar at the draft table.

Wow, thanks for that. Seeing it down year by year really highlights how incompetent they were.

No wonder Bogo and Kane were rushed when you look at '04 thru '07 draft,  

34 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Bogo and Kaner were rated very high in their draft years....Kaner never should have come straight to the bigs....Bogo either really. If you go back and take a look at the Thrasher's draft picks for 5 or 6 years before they came here you would see that they traded away some 2nd round picks. Also, they seemed to be, overall,  a poor judge of talent.

2010 Burmi and no 2nd

2009- Kane and in 2nd they got Klingberg and Morin

2008- Bogo and Leveille were 1st rounders and Leveille was never signed...no 2nd

2007- no picks in 1st or 2nd

2006- 2nd Holzapfel and Little in 1st

2005- they had one 1st round pick and three 2nd rounders and only Pavs (2nd round) played a game in the NHL...

Six years of 1st and 2nd round picks and 4 players still in the league.... One of them is 8th overall pick Burmi.... They had 3 years with no 2nd round picks and one year no picks until the 3rd round!

Compare that to Chevy's drafting. Sutter, a 2nd round pick, didn't pan out but he has been stellar at the draft table.

Atrocious!  Not only bad picks but complete mismanagement of assets to trade away so many.  Although I guess I'd have to see what they got in return but given the make up of the team when it arrived, I cant image they were quality decisions.

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Atrocious!  Not only bad picks but complete mismanagement of assets to trade away so many.  Although I guess I'd have to see what they got in return but given the make up of the team when it arrived, I cant image they were quality decisions.

This is always a fun site to peruse for some "hindsight"

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Atlanta_Thrashers/1

Their trade for Tkachuk in 2007 for their playoff push which resulted in them being swept by the Rangers in a first round exit was probably one of the worst.  They gave up all of this for Tkachuk in a trade deadline deal:  

Glen Metropolit
2007 1st round pick (#24-Mikael Backlund) 
2007 3rd round pick (#85-Brett Sonne) 
2008 2nd round pick (#33-Philip McRae) 
2008 conditional 1st round pick (if Thrashers re-sign Tkachuk for 2007-08) (not exercised) 

Now granted most of those draft picks didn't turn into much, but that is a lot of asset mismanagement when you aren't even close to being a contender.  Desperate for a playoff push to generate excitement for the team in Atlanta.

Then there was when they traded their superstar Kovalchuk.

Gave up:

Ilya Kovalchuk
Anssi Salmela
2010 2nd round pick (#38-Jonathon Merrill) 

Received:

Niclas Bergfors
Patrice Cormier
Johnny Oduya
2010 1st round pick (#24-Kevin Hayes)
2010 2nd round pick (#54-Justin Holl)

Traded Kovalchuk in his prime (27 at the time) for Patrice Cormier, Johnny Oduya and a first rounder and trading DOWN with your 2nd rounder.  Kevin Hayes and Justin Holl didn't amount to much, but they weren't drafted by Atlanta, they were drafted by Chicago.  Those picks were part of the Byfuglien deal, so maybe not quite so bad as it first looks.

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

Traded Kovalchuk in his prime (27 at the time) for Patrice Cormier, Johnny Oduya and a first rounder and trading DOWN with your 2nd rounder.  Kevin Hayes and Justin Holl didn't amount to much, but they weren't drafted by Atlanta, they were drafted by Chicago.  Those picks were part of the Byfuglien deal, so maybe not quite so bad as it first looks.

Kevin Hayes in a decent player. Regardless, who was picked doesn't matter as much as who was available, b/c you never know who they would have taken if they still had the pick.

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Kevin Hayes in a decent player. Regardless, who was picked doesn't matter as much as who was available, b/c you never know who they would have taken if they still had the pick.

True enough ... had to look him up and saw that he only played 2 seasons.  Didn't realize he was only 24 and still playing!

Chevy looks like Sammy Pollock next to those guys.

Scheif Lowry Helle Trouba Morrissey Petan Copp Ehlers Connor Comrie Roslo De Leo Foley Stanley and almost forgot Laine.

Substantially better I would say...I'd lock Chevy up for 5 years if I were Chipman.

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Chevy looks like Sammy Pollock next to those guys.

Scheif Lowry Helle Trouba Morrissey Petan Copp Ehlers Connor Comrie Roslo De Leo Foley Stanley and almost forgot Laine.

Substantially better I would say...I'd lock Chevy up for 5 years if I were Chipman.

I believe he is locked up through next season (2017/2018).  Extension next off season?

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Comeau, who was the Jets head scout until last year was also a scout with Atlanta, but I believe they changed a lot of the scouts under him and increased their numbers as well.    

This was an article from 2014, but it shows how the Jets have invested heavily into their scouting.  It wasn't just lip service that they were going to be a draft and develop team.  If you know you aren't going to be in the running for a lot of free agents and rely on the draft, you need to do better then average in drafting.

http://www.canescountry.com/2014/4/21/5625796/nhl-scouting-staffs-carolina-is-light

What usually catches my eye when looking at the draft picks from 2.0 is how many come from the NCAA, US developmental team and US junior colleges.  It seems like this scouting staff puts a lot of focus on exploring leagues that appear to be afterthoughts in other circles.

Kaner lol and to a lesser extent Bogo aren't exactly what you'd call high character guys with hockey smarts. Jets would have taken Pietrangelo over Bogo for sure and probably B Schenn over Kane. Easily in my opinion. Character and hockey iq matters lots to the Jets in their drafting history 

Stanley is more of a defensive d man. 

Jets need those cuz the offensive ones like Buff aren't exactly helping them

Who have our 2 best d been so far? Morrissey and Trouba... both are pretty Damn good defensively and both don't put up much points. 

Give me Trouba Morrissey Hamonic types over Buff types any day.  The number 1 job of a d man is to play D.  

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, Ducky said:

I am not sure why all there is all this hate for Stanley. Is he Maurice's nephew or something? Juulsen is a year older and Stanley was drafted right where he was predicted to go. Is he a bad player because he didn't get picked for the team? Nobody expects this guy in the NHL in the near future do they?

I absolutely expect a 1st round pick - one that we traded up for - to be on the WJC squad.

The Jets wanted a dman, saw a run on defensemen(previous 2 picks including jakob chychrun - who they would have given their left nut for) and got scared, dumped their second first round pick and their 2nd round pick and choose Stanley.

Future NHL'er? Ask me in a couple years.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg