Chevy

Ducky

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Just for a season til Toby and Stuart are gone though

Yeah but then Ehlers and Morrissey are RFA, Little is UFA.... other guys also.

I'd be ok with paying out a ton for our D if they were worth it but right now, I dunno... I see a pretty good top 4 and a really crappy bottom 4..

Buff Morrissey

Trouba Toby

That's a pretty above average group on paper isn't it? 

Postma Stuart... It's probably a pretty average NHL bottom pair also... I mean, could it be upgraded? For sure, it could be.. Myers if he's ever healthy immediately upgrades that bottom pair. I'm not sure going out and spending more money on D men is the right thing to do. 

I'd actually probably consider moving one of Toby Myers or Trouba (whoever really, unfortunately probably Trouba since i doubt he wants to be here long term) and try to fix our D issues that way.... Too much money spent on our D currently. Believes it's in the top 3 in the league in terms of money paid to our D men. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

Yeah but then Ehlers and Morrissey are RFA, Little is UFA.... other guys also.

I'd be ok with paying out a ton for our D if they were worth it but right now, I dunno... I see a pretty good top 4 and a really crappy bottom 4..

Buff Morrissey

Trouba Toby

That's a pretty above average group on paper isn't it? 

On paper yes but why aren't the results there?  And as much as I hope Trouba sticks around, we don't know what his fate will be.

Sure do like how Morrissey is developing though.

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

On paper yes but why aren't the results there?  And as much as I hope Trouba sticks around, we don't know what his fate will be.

Sure do like how Morrissey is developing though.

Perhaps it's coaching, I don't know... It's a pretty solid group... Perhaps it's Huddy? I don't know, this one is actually somewhat confusing and hard to not look at the coach. (Huddy) 

Edited by Goalie

33 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Right, we should probably just sign Alzner for 6 million a year and then have pretty much 50 percent of our cap committed to our D. 

You still didn't answer though I noticed.....Poolman replaces who? I might see what he can do on the left side as he has played a bit there but RHD spots are taken, no?

Over 10m coming off the books next year with UFAs that won't be re-signed.

The next year we lose Enstrom's 5.75m, Stu's 2.625, Mattias's 2.125m.

The Jets are about 20m under the cap next year and have to sign Helle, Copp, Tanev, Dano, Chiarot? and Postma?. Probably sign all those guys for under 10m.

I like the way Chevy has the contracts expiring and renewing....very, very smart. 2019-2020 might be a challenge though.

edit ... if the cap stays the same.

Edited by Ducky

18 hours ago, Goalie said:

Poolman goes to the Moose or replaces Postma.  

Myers and Trouba - 1 won't be here next year 

I think they will be.  Assuming Myers gets healthy, he's too good and his contract too good.  Trouba is the issue.  But IF his reasons for asking for a trade were true and it wasnt Winnipeg, then he has to see himself as gaining that #1 D spot.  I tend to think his family wanted him out of Winnipeg. But as a hockey player, he might not care as much.  I think they can sign him long term.  If they cant, they still wont trade him and he will have to sign another bridge deal.

Myers is a mystery.  A couple of weeks ago he was skating and went on the road trip and looked ready to return.  Now the word is, a "personal issue" is larger than the injury.

On 1/25/2017 at 4:42 PM, Goalie said:

Poolman goes to the Moose or replaces Postma.  

Myers and Trouba - 1 won't be here next year 

Poolman goes to the Moose.  He's closer than I originally gave him credit for last year, but his footwork is still going to betray him playing against NHL speed.  He's going to need time to perfect the other aspects of his defensive game to compensate for that.  Right now he might almost be good enough to play in the NHL but he has further to go if he wants to succeed in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Poolman goes to the Moose.  He's closer than I originally gave him credit for last year, but his footwork is still going to betray him playing against NHL speed.  He's going to need time to perfect the other aspects of his defensive game to compensate for that.  Right now he might almost be good enough to play in the NHL but he has further to go if he wants to succeed in the NHL.

There are so many positives for a player like that to go to the Moose. Chance to play big minutes, which he wouldn't get here, and truly develop. I don't know if your assessment of Poolman is correct but, if it is, then the year on the farm is good idea for both player and team.

It seems that there is a rush to get players up from the AHL. If we had done that with a player like Morrissey, before he was ready, we would be wondering why he was struggling so much in the our third pairing?

I think Postma's development was halted the moment he signed a one-way contract. Stopped playing big minutes and also sat a lot. No opportunity to send him down when he was struggling. Bad recipe, IMO.

30 minutes ago, JCon said:

There are so many positives for a player like that to go to the Moose. Chance to play big minutes, which he wouldn't get here, and truly develop. I don't know if your assessment of Poolman is correct but, if it is, then the year on the farm is good idea for both player and team.

It seems that there is a rush to get players up from the AHL. If we had done that with a player like Morrissey, before he was ready, we would be wondering why he was struggling so much in the our third pairing?

I think Postma's development was halted the moment he signed a one-way contract. Stopped playing big minutes and also sat a lot. No opportunity to send him down when he was struggling. Bad recipe, IMO.

Postma's development was halted when he was drafted by the Thrashers.