Walters' Priorities

BigBlue

41 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

Game speed is game speed......practice is practice.....let the QB throw, don't touch the QB....seriously?  there is a difference between getting a QB some reps and throwing him to the wolves. I wonder how much leaving Willy in there to constantly get pounded contributed to his rapid decline?

Yep. Its worth more for young guys with a lack of time as qb1 in ncaa/hs and no pro experience. Like bennett. And you do need it more in the cfl then in the nfl to get adapted to the game up here. But its still not a tool to highly refine qbs. Look at the amount of bench time a guy like MBT has had. It hasnt turned him into a great deal more then he was when he came out. 

Most qbs started 3 years + in HS, which is crazy competitive. + 3 years in college. That alone, 6 years of on the job experience is massive. You arent going to whole sale change a guy after that. His arm slot, release point mind set etc. 

Thats a big reason why im not a fan of bringing in qbs with broken / limited passing tool sets. Being able to run and scramble is great. but if you cant pass accurately, or if you cant make certain throws, or throws to part of the field when you become a pro chances are microscopic you ever will. And that means the up side is capped low. 

What's the story with Mekale McKay, the neg list player we got from Hamilton for Adams? I can't seem to find recent info on him. 

EDIT: I think he's with the Jags, via his Twitter account and NFL.com. 

Edited by JCon

18 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

Game speed is game speed......practice is practice.....let the QB throw, don't touch the QB....seriously?  there is a difference between getting a QB some reps and throwing him to the wolves. I wonder how much leaving Willy in there to constantly get pounded contributed to his rapid decline?

CFL Thesaurus: Thrown to the wolves; see DREW WILLY

Throwing a young QB like Davis to the wolves doesn't mean never giving him the opportunity to play until he is "ready".  This in fact can't be determined without game time.  I think the key is not leaving him in too long so that the other team begins to pick his bones clean.  Best if after a time of faltering badly he can be retracted and replaced by an old vet like Glenn who can absorb a licking without having his confidence damaged.  I think the way Wally handles Jennings is a very good example of the proper way to do it, let him play but moderate his progress and have a ready alternative on hand to step in when needed.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Throwing a young QB like Davis to the wolves doesn't mean never giving him the opportunity to play until he is "ready".  This in fact can't be determined without game time.  I think the key is not leaving him in too long so that the other team begins to pick his bones clean.  Best if after a time of faltering badly he can be retracted and replaced by an old vet like Glenn who can absorb a licking without having his confidence damaged.  I think the way Wally handles Jennings is a very good example of the proper way to do it, let him play but moderate his progress and have a ready alternative on hand to step in when needed.

Not just that, but getting any young prospect QB in during late game blow out scenarios. Davis isnt exactly young either. He turns 28 next year, hes had 2 seasons here + a training camp with calgary. He is wet behind the ears for his age though. Not the amount of college games that you would expect. 

Mos had plenty of chances to get him or glenn in off the bench. The 2 ottawa games, edmonton, toronto etc. Situations it would have been good to give nichols rest, and protection from getting hurt. But we got to see some hellacious late season hits on him at the end of games that were done. We even saw andrew harris ran back out to carry the ball when he could barely hobble around.

57 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Not just that, but getting any young prospect QB in during late game blow out scenarios. Davis isnt exactly young either. He turns 28 next year, hes had 2 seasons here + a training camp with calgary. He is wet behind the ears for his age though. Not the amount of college games that you would expect. 

Mos had plenty of chances to get him or glenn in off the bench. The 2 ottawa games, edmonton, toronto etc. Situations it would have been good to give nichols rest, and protection from getting hurt. But we got to see some hellacious late season hits on him at the end of games that were done. We even saw andrew harris ran back out to carry the ball when he could barely hobble around.

This has been the knock on O'Shea all along. A good coach knows when enough is enough for a given player, and if any one thing is going to screw things up in 2017, this is probably it.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

This has been the knock on O'Shea all along. A good coach knows when enough is enough for a given player, and if any one thing is going to screw things up in 2017, this is probably it.

Gawd I don't know if I can take a 4th year of it. You'd think he'd learn having watched guys like Wally but nope, he knows better.

On 12/17/2016 at 5:30 PM, tracker said:

Thats mostly true. Some one like wally would make that move. ritchie back in the day. Milano in toronto wouldnt though. You can debate his quality as a coach last year but over all hes been a good coach. 

Its some thing we have to hope he grows into. Making better personnel decisions going into the game and during the game. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Lawless said so, but define "active".... 

Sure...

ac·tive
ˈaktiv/
adjective

1. 1.
    (of a person) engaging or ready to engage in physically energetic pursuits.
    "I needed to change my lifestyle and become more active"

•  
  2. 2.
    doing things for an organization, cause, or campaign, rather than simply giving it one's support.
    "she was an active member of the church"
Edited by WBBFanWest

32 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Sure...

ac·tive
ˈaktiv/
adjective

1. 1.
    (of a person) engaging or ready to engage in physically energetic pursuits.
    "I needed to change my lifestyle and become more active"

•  
  2. 2.
    doing things for an organization, cause, or campaign, rather than simply giving it one's support.
    "she was an active member of the church"

Alt_DontCallMeShirley1.jpg

Elaine: The sun! What is it Simon?

Simon: A large fiery ball at the center of our solar system but that's not important now

Elaine : A hospital? What is it?

Rumack: It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now

Edited by kelownabomberfan