US Politics

Rich

16 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Trump at a rally tonight is actually painting himself as the victim today. And blaming “mobs” and the media. He’s disgusting. 

Well if everyone would just kiss his ass like he wants then he wouldn't need to incite the ***** mob to get violent with the opposition. He doesn't want to hurt them but look how mad they make him? 

Total abusive relationship going on there. 

Trump new strategy for his base is "its us against the media" condition his followers that in the future the media is going to destroy me with all their nasty questions about my taxes, sexual assaults, money fraud, building fraud, business dealings. So we have to get to them before they get to me and I wind up in jail.

and the list keeps growing (what the hell did Cory booker do that earned this? the worst he's ever done was get in a fight with Tonight Show era Conan, it got so bad that Hillary had to intervene)

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-pol-suspicious-packages-20181026-story.html

oh and James Clapper got one too

Edited by iHeart

15 minutes ago, iHeart said:

and the list keeps growing (what the hell did Cory booker do that earned this? the worst he's ever done was get in a fight with Tonight Show era Conan, it got so bad that Hillary had to intervene)

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-pol-suspicious-packages-20181026-story.html

oh and James Clapper got one too

And Trump continues to rip on the media and condemn people who criticize him.  And the "right" pushes the narrative that the bombs are a left wing plot.  What a time we live in.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And Trump continues to rip on the media and condemn people who criticize him.  And the "right" pushes the narrative that the bombs are a left wing plot.  What a time we live in.

And, Fox was pushing the idea that MSM was to blame. 

In Georgia, 4500 early ballots have gone missing from a predominantly black neighbourhood. 

In Dodge City, Kansas, they've shutdown the only polling place in a predominantly Latino neighbourhood. Local officials have shuttered Dodge City's lone polling place, citing road construction in the area, and moved it to a facility outside the city limits that is more than a mile from the nearest bus stop.

That's some democracy they have there. 

37 minutes ago, JCon said:

In Georgia, 4500 early ballots have gone missing from a predominantly black neighbourhood. 

In Dodge City, Kansas, they've shutdown the only polling place in a predominantly Latino neighbourhood. Local officials have shuttered Dodge City's lone polling place, citing road construction in the area, and moved it to a facility outside the city limits that is more than a mile from the nearest bus stop.

Not only that (in Kansas), new voters were sent the incorrect address for that out of town polling station.  https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/dodge-city-moves-only-polling-site-gives-voters-wrong-address-1353478211626?v=railb&

Trump appeals to WHITE, uneducated people. They vote for him. They also tend to believe wacky conspiracy theories. 

That's why a holocaust survivor and someone who has dedicated their lives to improving democracy around the world is so vilified by the GOP. 

Edited by JCon

2 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Not only that (in Kansas), new voters were sent the incorrect address for that out of town polling station.  https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/dodge-city-moves-only-polling-site-gives-voters-wrong-address-1353478211626?v=railb&

Well, seeing that that phony baloney election commission, that was investigating the mythical millions of fake ballots....didn't work - they have to try some other techniques.   Voter suppression has a certain appeal. in some quarters....

11 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I wonder if Debbie Wasserman Shultz is the name of his wife and this was just a way to get back at her or something

She's a is a Democratic congresswoman from Florida. I'm pretty sure it's not Steve Schultz that was arrested. 

She's was the Chair of the Democratic National Committee.

Edited by JCon
Added more info.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

You know, I've sometimes thought, in the most Bizarro-world kind of way, that Trump actually is telling the truth when he makes his outrageous claims, just that the target is the exact opposite of who he says it is. He says "fake news" and points out the mainstream media as the culprits. Well, the biggest purveyor of fake news seems to be Donald himself (too exhaustive a list to recap, hope no one wants to challenge me with "cite an instance where he's lied"), so fake news does exist, but seemingly from his own mouth as much as anywhere. "Massive voter fraud" he claims as a ready defence if he loses, like the deep state is out to shut him down, yet the only instances of fraud I hear about are Russian collusion (in his favour), voting laws that consistently restrict minorities inordinately over white people, missing ballots or difficult voting practices in predominantly black neighbourhoods, and gerrymandering that all seems to end up favoring Republicans. "Drain the swamp" he says like the old order under Obama was terrible, and he'll clean it up, yet he has provided us with Conway, Miller, Bannon, the nepotism gang et al and exposed the swamp he surrounds himself with. Now I know the Dems have their bad seeds too, nobody is clean here, it's just funny that Trump, in trying to decry the flaws he sees in the system out to get him as some sort of persecution complex he has manifested, has in actuality shone a big bright shining light on those same issues that he himself he practices but has wholeheartedly railed against.

John Oliver actually did a piece on gerrymandering (for anyone unfamiliar, it is the process of geographically re-aligning voting districts so that a politician can skew which voters can vote in which districts, and therefore manipulate the vote by loading the majority of the opposing candidate's voters into one area and spreading their own voters out into slim majorities in many districts, thereby winning the vote by winning the majority of the districts, even if they lose the overall vote count - that was my takeaway from it). What is astounding is that the process is totally legal, and the re-districting happens every election and is in total control of the ruling party, so the incumbent can legitimately shape the voting districts to his/her benefit and maximize the likelihood of winning the election, even with a minority of actual votes cast for them.

Not sure how this compares to Canadian politics, but Doug Ford's unilateral ruling that the Toronto city counsel would be shrunk despite a court ruling saying he couldn't reminded me of this political gamesmanship.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever