US Politics

Rich

China responded to $50 billion in tariffs imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump with a similar amount of levies on a variety of U.S. goods. But China also said it would impose tariffs on U.S. energy products, which analysts considered a surprise as previous tariff threats had centered on agricultural goods and automobiles.

“This is a big deal. China is essentially the largest customer for U.S. crude now, and so for crude it’s an issue, let alone when you involve (refined) products, too. This is obviously a big development,” said Matt Smith, director of commodity research at ClipperData.

Iran has lots of oil China can buy.

Trump is doing a good job of taking USA out of the world trading system.

He was so confident he even let reporters in on his secret in Singapore when he said that he believed Kim would follow through on vague commitments to denuclearize but would just change his story if the North Korean leader fell short.
"I may stand before you in six months and say, 'Hey, I was wrong.' I don't know that I'll ever admit that, but I'll find some kind of an excuse," Trump said. Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN

13 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I like the idea in theory.  More focus on space exploration, though it would be better to provide proper funding for NASA missions than to militarize space.

And please, call it Star Fleet.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I like the idea in theory.  More focus on space exploration, though it would be better to provide proper funding for NASA missions than to militarize space.

And please, call it Star Fleet.

I would think it's less about exploration and more about weaponizing satellites and such. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I would think it's less about exploration and more about weaponizing satellites and such. 

Yeah Im sure it is.  Probably some big business with ties to Trump or Friends of Trump will score some trillion dollar contracts to put lazers on sharks and blast them into space or something.

Whereas I'd like to see more investment into peaceful space exploration.  The only thing keeping us from walking on mars is will and money.

T

herefore, today, I directed the United States Trade Representative to identify $200 billion worth of Chinese goods for additional tariffs at a rate of 10 percent. After the legal process is complete, these tariffs will go into effect if China refuses to change its practices, and also if it insists on going forward with the new tariffs that it has recently announced. If China increases its tariffs yet again, we will meet that action by pursuing additional tariffs on another $200 billion of goods. The trade relationship between the United States and China must be much more equitable.

batten down the hatches

A single tariff benefiting one paper factory in Washington state could prompt the loss of thousands of U.S. newspaper jobs, industry executives say.The Trump administration imposed levies on newsprint from Canada, which produces about 60 percent of all newsprint. The one mill and the private equity firm are not supported in their efforts by any other U.S. paper mills or the American Forest and Paper Association,” he added.

Already, newspapers such as the Tampa Bay Times have had to lay off staff to make up for higher newsprint costs. The Times announced April 18 that it will lay off about 50 employees, responding to what it says is a potential $3 million annual cost increase.

The one mill in Longview, Wash., employs about 250 people, compared with more than 600,000 newspaper publishing and commercial printing jobs at various locations across the United States, according to The Globe and Mail.

phil inquirer

12 hours ago, Mark F said:

batten down the hatches

Hope he realized that the reason that the trade relationship with China is what it is is because Americans like cheap **** and they don't want to pay the prices for things made where the people making it need to be paid a living wage. 

This disgraceful behavior of ripping kids from their parents and locking them in cages will be the stain on this President that will never go away.  50 years from now, when people are taught about him or watch a documentary, this will be the lasting legacy of a morally bankrupt man and the vile racists who surround him.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Hope he realized that the reason that the trade relationship with China is what it is is because Americans like cheap **** and they don't want to pay the prices for things made where the people making it need to be paid a living wage. 

People selling goods have to pass the tariff (price increase basically) on to  the consumer.

Most or at least many,  people already spend most of their money at current prices.

Raise the price, and they won't be able to buy as much, and the American retail economy, will slow down. 

I think.

America has the leading economy in the world one of the highest standards of living.

They benefit from the current trading system. The world runs on the US dollar.

Only an person who knows nothing, would at this point, monkey wrench it.

One question is, post Trump, will the rest of the world trust America again? 

There's no telling what kind of crackpot their system will vomit up next to be President.

Edited by Mark F

Just now, 17to85 said:

But haven't you heard? It's the democrats fault!

I have a friend who is a conservative and he's this close to being ignored on social media.  He's the new breed of alt right racist, ones who are smart enough to make a nuanced argument diminishing their racism.  Anyway, this morning he re-tweets a random post from a cop who said he pulled over an "illegal immigrant" for DUI but the courts let him go.  Replace "illegal immigrant" with "white guy" and suddenly its not worth the re-tweet is it?

Then he re-tweets some random Hilary interview from 2014 where she says just because a child is brought to the US by their parents doesnt mean they get to stay.  And what exactly does that have to do with Trump's policy?  Not only is it classic whataboutism but its not even logical.  If you criticise Hilary's general statement, wouldnt you be incensed over Trump's actual practice?  Its bizarre. 

It's just disgusting that there are people who will perform all kinds of mental gymnastics in order to justify either their shitty beliefs or justify what Donald Trump is doing because it's that conservative is better than liberal mindset. Donald Trump is playing silly buggers in the white house and it's not only ******* America over but it's screwing with the rest of the world too. 

To quote the simpsons "Where's a gun toting low life when you need one?"

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's just disgusting that there are people who will perform all kinds of mental gymnastics in order to justify either their shitty beliefs or justify what Donald Trump is doing because it's that conservative is better than liberal mindset. Donald Trump is playing silly buggers in the white house and it's not only ******* America over but it's screwing with the rest of the world too. 

To quote the simpsons "Where's a gun toting low life when you need one?"

I believe you've now been added to several FBI watch lists.  The secret service will be calling shortly.  lol

But yes, where are the defenders now?  Its funny, people are quick to defend the racial stuff (probably because they share the view) but watch video of terrified, sobbing children being held in cages, and a lot of the defenders dry up.  Too bad there are still people justifying it.  There is no justification.  Its a needlessly cruel act towards kids that this admin considers sub-human.  They are holding children hostage to force political concessions by the Dems.

This will be remembered very very badly for a long, long time. 

The shape shifting in the Republican party, about the lying, racist, sexist, fascist, xenophobic and isolationist ways of the Trump administration is really something else.   Especially, given that Trump actually holds most of them in utter contempt....and does not even hide that fact. They just swallow the belittling and insults, and carry on.  

You could write a book......unlike JFK's famous book......calling it 'Profiles In Cowardliness", would be appropriate. 

Trump is Trump....but these people have a lot to answer for

16 minutes ago, do or die said:

The shape shifting in the Republican party, about the lying, racist, sexist, fascist, xenophobic and isolationist ways of the Trump administration is really something else.   Especially, given that Trump actually holds most of them in utter contempt....and does not even hide that fact. They just swallow the belittling and insults, and carry on.  

You could write a book......unlike JFK's famous book......calling it 'Profiles In Cowardliness", would be appropriate. 

Trump is Trump....but these people have a lot to answer for

Republicans are really cowardly.  They are afraid of Trump turning on them.  But if the GOP is hammered in the mid-terms, you'll likely see many of them jumping off the titanic.  But who knows.  The White House is pretty good at messaging and the Dems arent.

15 hours ago, Mark F said:

herefore, today, I directed the United States Trade Representative to identify $200 billion worth of Chinese goods for additional tariffs at a rate of 10 percent. After the legal process is complete, these tariffs will go into effect if China refuses to change its practices, and also if it insists on going forward with the new tariffs that it has recently announced. If China increases its tariffs yet again, we will meet that action by pursuing additional tariffs on another $200 billion of goods. The trade relationship between the United States and China must be much more equitable.

batten down the hatches

Say "goodbye" to da dollar store, $1.25 is now lowess price.