Game 15 : Jets v2 @ Jets v1

Trouba should be in there, no question.  At 70% of his midseason form, he's still way better than Stuchairotpostmalchiori.  Nothing to cry over, I suspect if it's not tonight he's getting in next game for sure.

I'm a big fan of riding Helle right now, with the exception of back-to-backs. Then you play both regardless of how they're doing. 

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

That surprises me......you would think that even an out of shape Trouba would be better than either Postma or Stuart.

I would assume *if* Trouba is not in game shape that they want to avoid risking him pulling something or injuring himself by inserting him in the line up to soon.  

It's not like this season we are in the play off hunt and where every game counts.   No need to rush the guy.

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I would assume *if* Trouba is not in game shape that they want to avoid risking him pulling something or injuring himself by inserting him in the line up to soon.  

It's not like this season we are in the play off hunt and where every game counts.   No need to rush the guy.

I completely disagree and so would the team. Our goal is too make the playoffs unless it's mathematically impossible.

I can't think of a team who would take a position of not being in the playoff hunt after a half dozen games played. 

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

As of right now, we are in a wild card spot.

26 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I completely disagree and so would the team. Our goal is too make the playoffs unless it's mathematically impossible.

I can't think of a team who would take a position of not being in the playoff hunt after a half dozen games played. 

The franchise is not banking on this team making play offs and/or doing anything deeper then that.    Trouba's long term health is way more important then trying to win one or two games early in the season. 

The goal this season is to show improvement and develop the younger players.   This has been talked about non stop by the local media. 

Making the play offs this year is a nice bonus and nothing more.     If it were all about winning the cup the team would of traded Trouba a long time ago and would be unloading young guys for vets who can play now.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

The franchise is not banking on this team making play offs and/or doing anything deeper then that.    Trouba's long term health is way more important then trying to win one or two games early in the season. 

The goal this season is to show improvement and develop the younger players.   This has been talked about non stop by the local media. 

Making the play offs this year is a nice bonus and nothing more.     If it were all about winning the cup the team would of traded Trouba a long time ago and would be unloading young guys for vets who can play now.

Yes, development is much more important but that's not what you said...

36 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This team is definitely in the playoff hunt right now.

I don't believe Trouba is playing due to the back-to-back games. PoMo won't want to take him out once he's in. Bet he's ready to compete for 60 minutes tonight but may not be able to turn it around and play tomorrow, as well.

May also be a bit of "this is my team and I make the decisions" too.

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The 'franchise' may (i.e., not spending to the cap), but I guarantee you, Chevy, Paul Maurice and players are playing to make the playoffs with what they have now. No, they are not trying to fool themselves, they actually believe that. They are practicing, putting long hours in not just for development and showing improvement but also going into every game assuming they are going to win with the right preparation. Most of these guys are competitors who want to win. That's the culture I'm assuming the GM and down are trying to create, not the 'in reality we aren't contenders yet' culture.   

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Would be insanely crazy to change lineup after 8-2 win.

This is my thought too unless there is a change anywhere else in the line up. You can't take a guy out that played his best game of the season just because hold out boy decides he wants to play now.

He didn't have a contact.  Wasn't really a hold out as much as it was trying to take a stand. Perhaps being naive in thinking an rfa with no rights can get his way. 

Trouba isn't playing tho because... he's not exactly in game shape yet. Ya skating with Michigan or the USNTDP is great but... it's not the NHL. 

It also could be a message being sent by Maurice but doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Those statements are not congruent.  The team should be, and always is, making an attempt to both develop our youth while still winning hockey games.  I get where you're going - but I really don't see Maurice and the coaches or guys like 55 and 26 being content with this been a development year. Frankly, unless you're going full on tank mode like Buffalo 2 yrs ago, it's just an excuse for losing. 

Media can talk about what they want, heck some would say half the reason 1290, Freep etc are always talking "draft and develop" is because they have a stake in the game re: the Jets, and they sure as **** aren't about to rail on the team for not being above .500 very often (since 2011).   I don't necessarily but that - but it is an interesting thought to ponder given performance on the ice vs. media coverage of the team. 

The Jets have made the playoffs once in 5 seasons.  I don't care how young this team is, playoffs should absolutely be a goal on their radar.  Are we Cup contenders? Of course not.  But more often than not you aren't going to go from constantly missing the playoffs to competing for a Cup every year.  We're at that middle stage in my mind, where you need to get in the dance if not only give Scheifs, Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey, Trouba, Helle etc invaluable playoff experience.  

The next several weeks leading up to the trade deadline are going to be fascinating.  You've got Trouba who could very well be moved.  You've got veterans who could be moved for more youth and picks, if our record isn't good and if it is good, we've got a plethora of FWs who could be packaged for a player to help us win now. 

I feel like in many ways the direction of the team could very well be determined by our record from now until early 2017.