Game 15 : Jets v2 @ Jets v1

5 hours ago, JCon said:

Yes, development is much more important but that's not what you said...

This team is definitely in the playoff hunt right now.

Lawless has said many times that the club is focused on building on the next few years rather then trying to win now.   Numerous times he and the hockey experts on his show have said that the Jets are not focused on getting into the playoffs this season and are trying to build and develop the guys so that the team will compete in the next few years.

If (when) this team doesn't make the playoffs do you think they axe Paul Maurice and rebuild completely?   

If this club were all about making the play offs now then the tell-tale sign would of been to keep Pavs on the roster and send down Helle for more experience in the AHL.     

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lawless has said many times that the club is focused on building on the next few years rather then trying to win now.   Numerous times he and the hockey experts on his show have said that the Jets are not focused on getting into the playoffs this season and are trying to build and develop the guys so that the team will compete in the next few years.

If (when) this team doesn't make the playoffs do you think they axe Paul Maurice and rebuild completely?   

If this club were all about making the play offs now then the tell-tale sign would of been to keep Pavs on the roster and send down Helle for more experience in the AHL.     

It's not either (development) or (making the playoffs). You can have a nice blend. 

Jets not focussed on getting into the playoffs? Well then, unless the Jets management has actually said this, I think he might be speculating somewhat. There's pressure to win in this business so teams have to balance the long term with short term. Some teams have more luxury than others with how much money they can spend. And even that isn't a guarantee.

As for Pavs no that would not suggest we want to make the playoffs in keeping him. If anything, it might suggest we do want to make the playoffs in sending him down.

They are rebuilding and it Is a developmental year but if anyone thinks the goal isn't to make the playoffs.... they must be on a combination of Crack and bath salts. Currently in the wild card spot with a young team who looks to be finding it's way. That's without their number 2 and 3 centers. 

I'd support the argument that sending Pavs down is a sign that they are trying to make the playoffs actually.  If they aren't trying to make the playoffs, they are, every team tries to make the playoffs... but if they aren't they would keep that hush hush because tickets and fans. 

I mean really. .. 8 2 last game but they aren't trying to make the playoffs?  

Sometimes lawless knows his stuff but sometimes speculates pretty hard because while lawless is a decent reporter or whatever his title is... when it gets right down to it... Gary lawless knows pretty much f all about hockey and how players think.  If he or anyone truly believe they aren't trying to make the playoffs... well... his credibility has completely gone bye bye. 

Edited by Goalie

I believe the coach and players ALWAYS try to win games and it is more or less the GM that tries to tank or not win games. Look at the Jets toward the end of the season last year.

edit...how much of a surprise would it be if the got the last wildcard spot....it wouldn't surprise me that much.

Edited by Ducky

My point is that the ownerships realistic expectations is for the young guys to grow and for the team to make the play offs.

Clearly the coaches and players are trying to win and WANT to make the play offs.       The expectations for this club is continued growth with major growing pains.    

if you think that the ownership and management will think this season is a failure if they don't make the playoffs then you are dead wrong. 

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

My point is that the ownerships realistic expectations is for the young guys to grow and for the team to make the play offs.

Clearly the coaches and players are trying to win and WANT to make the play offs.       The expectations for this club is continued growth with major growing pains.    

if you think that the ownership and management will think this season is a failure if they don't make the playoffs then you are dead wrong. 

No one is saying anything that you're claiming. No one is saying that making the playoffs is more important than developing. 

You said the team wasn't in the playoff hunt but they are. You're wrong. That's all. 

Connor has become a very good defensively aware player. 

Connor Little wheeler could be really nice. 

Ice seemed crappy. Puck bouncing around all night for both teams. Jets really turned it on in the 3rd. Solid game by everyone. 

Not gonna nitpick after a win....

Buff can't buy a goal. .. it will come. 

Helle looking like a number 1 goalie. .

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

I believe the coach and players ALWAYS try to win games and it is more or less the GM that tries to tank or not win games. Look at the Jets toward the end of the season last year.

edit...how much of a surprise would it be if the got the last wildcard spot....it wouldn't surprise me that much.

Get little Perreault Armia back and insert trouba instead of Chiarot or Postma and this team might not need the wild card spot. It's silly to think that what 12 15 games in to the season that they don't want to make the playoffs when they are in it now and missing little Perreault Armia and trouba. 

I really don't think missing staff infection or Stuart is a big deal or Mathias 

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I noticed the coach was playing guys in different circumstances than they may usually play.

Arizona are the Jets about a year ago...

Without a number 1 center and Laine but they have talent. It's just not elite yet. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

What about all the hits from behind that went uncalled in the last 4 or so minutes?

Petan is playing well and is surprising me but I wonder what he looks like away from an elite talent like Wheeler....would love to see him center Armia/Connor or Armia/Perreault.

Perreault Petan Armia would be a great third line 

Dano Lowry Tanev fourth line. 

Well... Petan is a pretty elite not quite but has potential to be an elite talent on his own. Kid has skills. 

Perreault Petan Armia please.  

Edited by Goalie

^^^^^^^^^^^and that leaves Copp not even dressed...

safe to say that Thorbs and Burmi are gone by the start of next season and if Matthias is still here after the LV draft, I'd move him. But that's me, I'd have moved Staf before the year started and Burmi too.

Lots to look forward to in the not too distant future.