Game 7 : Dallas @ Armia's Army

9 minutes ago, Floyd said:

But why not give him a chance...?   Petan, Armia, Connor, Copp... if these guys aren't stuck on a line with stone hands plugs, maybe you start seeing what they can do

Give him a chance, doesn't mean he needs to play centre.  He'll have an easier time making it on the wing at his size.   Unless thins have changed, he doesn't even play centre on the Moose.

Time to bring back Pavelec, I long for the days when we had a goalie with a save percentage above .900.

I was dead wrong about Hellebuyck, he will never be an NHL starting goalie.  He is young though so that might give us a boost in the standings.  That's how it works right?

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Time to bring back Pavelec, I long for the days when we had a goalie with a save percentage above .900.

I was dead wrong about Hellebuyck, he will never be an NHL starting goalie.  He is young though so that might give us a boost in the standings.  That's how it works right?

You're right, lets settle for the known mediocrity in Pavelec because a goalie has struggled over 3 games.

Lets ignore that he posted a .918 in 26 NHL games last year, .922 in 30 games with the Moose last year, and a .921 in 58 games the year prior.

55 minutes ago, Rich said:

You're right, lets settle for the known mediocrity in Pavelec because a goalie has struggled over 3 games.

Lets ignore that he posted a .918 in 26 NHL games last year, .922 in 30 games with the Moose last year, and a .921 in 58 games the year prior.

It has become obvious what Hellebuyck is.  An excellent positional goalie with limited athletic talent.  He gets roasted up high and in the NHL they shoot to score.  The scouting report is out on Hellebuyck and everyone knows it now.  I'll gladly accept your apology halfway into the season when you realize I was right.

9 minutes ago, Atomic said:

It has become obvious what Hellebuyck is.  An excellent positional goalie with limited athletic talent.  He gets roasted up high and in the NHL they shoot to score.  The scouting report is out on Hellebuyck and everyone knows it now.  I'll gladly accept your apology halfway into the season when you realize I was right.

Apology for what exactly?   Did I spit in your face?   Insult your Mother?

If you want an autocracy where you can pronounce your words of wisdom as gospel, go start a blog.  

14 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You're clearly more knowledgeable than any NHL scout.

Connor gets his shot in the top 6 after sitting out a game.

Maurice doesn't want to breakup the Matthias Lowry Armia line.    If they are going to keep Armia in the bottom 6, think I'd rather see Tanev with them rather than Matthias.  Love the effort and hustle Tanev has on every shift.

I have a hard time defending anyone in the fanbase who doesn't see all the good that is Connor Hellebuyck. I ain't in the business in calling out posters, but christ give your head a god dang shake. Helle is easily one of the top 10 < 23 yr old goalies around.

You see what Matt Murray did in Pitt last year?

What made Freddy Anderson expendable in ANA?

How come STL let Elliot go?

Ben Bishop is likely to be moved from TB this year... why?

But no no no...the Winnipeg Jets can't wait for their future #1 tender to develop. Blasphemy! 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I have a hard time defending anyone in the fanbase who doesn't see all the good that is Connor Hellebuyck. I ain't in the business in calling out posters, but christ give your head a god dang shake. Helle is easily one of the top 10 < 23 yr old goalies around.

You see what Matt Murray did in Pitt last year?

What made Freddy Anderson expendable in ANA?

How come STL let Elliot go?

Ben Bishop is likely to be moved from TB this year... why?

But no no no...the Winnipeg Jets can't wait for their future #1 tender to develop. Blasphemy! 

He's too slow and he's got one eye but I may be wrong about that one.

He has played a grand total of 29 games in the NHL. 

Have teams adjusted to him?  Probably.  But you have to now give him time to adjust his game and work through what they are doing.

Is there a guarantee he will be able to?  No.  But to write him off this early in his career is ridiculous IMO.  

Skaters get sheltered minutes as they adjust to the speed and nuances of the NHL game.  Goalies don't get that luxury.  He didn't even get eased into the Pros as a backup.  All his time spent in the NHL has been with significant starts. 

He has been stellar in the last few years at lower levels of hockey.  Need to give him time to try and evolve his game. 

Hmm. I haven't heard any of that personally. Most I know are without long term memory defects and remember Pavelec's career .905 SV%. 

So what is it with Helle, specifically?  And I'm not trying to defend the guy. He hasn't been good this year, well below expectations so far. I thought he'd come out hot after playing with those studs on Team N.A. So there's all that...

But to me #'s matter more than random memories I have from the most recent games played. Problem with that line of thinking; you're more likely to remember highs and lows like Laine's goals or a bad goal given up by Hutch.  Memories and observations from the couch are nice for a space like this, so long as they aren't shaping the way our scouts, coaches and mgmt feel. Thankfully, I think we're safe there!

What I see in Helle > Sensational collegiate career.  Win/loss, save%, GAavg it's all there.  Great start to his pro career - similar numbers, except in goals against, but hey, our farm club's been a hot mess of late. I think all thing's considered, stopping .920 at the AHL level is pretty unreal for the team we had. (Go check Pav's AHL numbers, while he played with a superior AHL club. I'll wait, no problem).  So then last year, we get to see him with the Jets for the first time. Started off great, cooled down after. Still - 26 games played last season and he was the undisputed best goalie.  Most wins, only tender with a save% even close to league average.  

Maybe he's struggling now. After a whopping 3 starts.

I'll say it and take the heat- the answer isn't playing him less. It's playing him more.  I don't expect them to right away - but eventually you need to establish a #1.  Goalies like to develop a routine and consistency and it's hard to do that playing every 2nd night.

Lastly - i know, i know used up a week's worth of rants here....

What's the Jets alternative if Helle isn't the short or long term option?  If it's me answering, Pavs isn't even in the conversation. He's in his last year of his contract and after 400 games in the NHL - we know what he is.