Game 7 : Dallas @ Armia's Army

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2016 at 10:15 AM, Atomic said:

It has become obvious what Hellebuyck is.  An excellent positional goalie with limited athletic talent.  He gets roasted up high and in the NHL they shoot to score.  The scouting report is out on Hellebuyck and everyone knows it now.  I'll gladly accept your apology halfway into the season when you realize I was right.

Well here we are

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

Or a team in front of him who actually knows what to do in the D zone. 

Or the ability to use his glove.  Or is there an excuse for that one too?  Maybe a better goalie coach could work that out of him, maybe not.  All I know is his glove-side is dreadful and all the shooters in the NHL seem to know it too.  Of course, he was a fifth-round pick for a reason.  Maybe everyone outside of Winnipeg just doesn't understand his greatness.

Just now, Atomic said:

Or the ability to use his glove.  Or is there an excuse for that one too?  Maybe a better goalie coach could work that out of him, maybe not.  All I know is his glove-side is dreadful and all the shooters in the NHL seem to know it too.  Of course, he was a fifth-round pick for a reason.  Maybe everyone outside of Winnipeg just doesn't understand his greatness.

I must be missing those games where he lets in 20 goals.  Every goalie has strengths and weaknesses so I dont disagree with you.  But writing off Helle now is foolish and depressing because it means we have literally nothing in goal and all hopes hang on Comrie who is struggling in the A right now.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I must be missing those games where he lets in 20 goals.  Every goalie has strengths and weaknesses so I dont disagree with you.  But writing off Helle now is foolish and depressing because it means we have literally nothing in goal and all hopes hang on Comrie who is struggling in the A right now.

20 goals?  Is that the standard for a #1 goalie now?  I'm not talking about releasing the guy but I just don't see him developing into a legitimate #1, ever.  Remember, free agency and trades are an option for improving in goal.  Chevy has made it seem like it has to be Pavelec or drafted prospects, but it doesn't have to be that way.  There are other options.  How many goalies have switched teams and found success since 2011?  And we have stubbornly stuck with Pavelec and hoped for a 5th round pick to be the savior.  I still have hope for Comrie but like you said, he's not ready yet so why not explore other options?  Perhaps not now but in the off-season.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

20 goals?  Is that the standard for a #1 goalie now?  I'm not talking about releasing the guy but I just don't see him developing into a legitimate #1, ever.  Remember, free agency and trades are an option for improving in goal.  Chevy has made it seem like it has to be Pavelec or drafted prospects, but it doesn't have to be that way.  There are other options.  How many goalies have switched teams and found success since 2011?  And we have stubbornly stuck with Pavelec and hoped for a 5th round pick to be the savior.  I still have hope for Comrie but like you said, he's not ready yet so why not explore other options?  Perhaps not now but in the off-season.

I dont think anyone can say Helle isnt the answer.  We dont have enough information to make that decision.  Especially with how poorly the team plays in front of him.  His last two pulls tanked his SV% or it would have been league average or higher...on a bad team that plays bad team D.  Helle can still be the answer.

Its not like the old days where you needed a spectacular goalie to win the Cup.  You can ride a spectacular goalie but great teams can win with "good" goaltending.

If not for the expansion draft, Hutch would likely be waived.  I think they have given up on him and if they could, they'd either bring in a veteran now or at the very least a veteran on a 2 year deal in the summer to back up Helle.  Pavs is gone (unless he suddenly plays above his career average and is willing to accept a short term contract in the summer).

So I dont disagree.  I hoped Hutch could hold up his end of the deal too but I was one of the few people saying the right plan was Helle/Pavs, not Helle/Hutch.  I think we will see a veteran brought in this summer.

Fleury would be a great addition but Im quite certain he wouldn't come here.  But Toby to Pens for Fleury (if both waived their no-trades) and Fleury/Helle for a couple of years probably greatly improves us (but then we risk losing one to Vegas).