Game 4 : Leafs @ Panicking Already?

39 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Jcon,

I just think we need a type of center that Petan is and not the game that Copp plays and I think De Leo should be called up when the team is playing well which it isn't...Petan is the type of center we need right now if his D game has improved...give him a shot and see where his progression is...you can always send him backdown.

I guess I don't entirely disagree with this.

However, we need a player that wins faceoffs and Copp wins faceoffs. Last year, Petan didn't get to the circle very often.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I had flashbacks to Selanne's rookie season.  75...76...77 Selanne's record goes to heaven...  nah, not likely.  But beauty of a game.

That was a heck of a line.  Laine-Scheif-Ehlers.  I liked that Laine kept the shot on the winning goal.  Thought he was going to try and pass it back to Ehlers (I think it was).  Great shot.

I had flashbacks to Dale Hawerchuk's rookie season.  He was only 18 when he entered the league too.  Selanne was an old man at 22.

14 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Staf is hampering a younger players' development if you ask me and even if we were going to make the playoffs this year, we aren't going all the way.....management knows this.

Here we go again :rolleyes:

The top-six in the NHL is not where you develop players.  If young players prove they're good enough, they will get top 6 minutes.  You don't hand spots to players who haven't earned it.  There are no young players in the organization right now that aren't in the top six that have earned a shot at it.

Just now, Ducky said:

Staf leaving means a younger player gets NHL time like Dano.....not saying plug Dano into the 1st line....Staf doens't belong there either.

Only true if you believe Dano getting first-line minutes in the AHL (which he is) is hampering his development.  I tend to believe that's exactly the right place for a guy like him at this point in his career.

43 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Here we go again :rolleyes:

The top-six in the NHL is not where you develop players.  If young players prove they're good enough, they will get top 6 minutes.  You don't hand spots to players who haven't earned it.  There are no young players in the organization right now that aren't in the top six that have earned a shot at it.

I would argue that Dano does not need to develop - he's played two 'half seasons' in the NHL and his Corsi is great.  AHL is not helping him.  Same might be said for Copp

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I would argue that Dano does not need to develop - he's played two 'half seasons' in the NHL and his Corsi is great.  AHL is not helping him.  Same might be said for Copp

On what basis can you make the claim the "AHL is not helping him"?

13 minutes ago, Floyd said:

He does not need to develop.  OK.  Well we've descended into the realm of unicorns and rainbows so I'll withdraw from this discussion at this point.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Staf is hampering a younger players' development if you ask me and even if we were going to make the playoffs this year, we aren't going all the way.....management knows this.

How is he hampering anyone's development? They could put him in the pressbox if they felt someone was more deserving. Right now, the kids are developing where they should be, where they can get the minutes each night.

I wouldn't mind Dano up at the big club but I don't think his development is hampered playing big minutes, dropping passes between his legs in the AHL.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

How is he hampering anyone's development? They could put him in the pressbox if they felt someone was more deserving. Right now, the kids are developing where they should be, where they can get the minutes each night.

I wouldn't mind Dano up at the big club but I don't think his development is hampered playing big minutes, dropping passes between his legs in the AHL.

Most fans seem to believe that if you're not in the top six in the NHL you're being held back by coaches/management/Gary Bettman/Donald Trump/the NWO/etc.

Eventually the top 6 will consist of Laine ehlers Connor Scheif Wheeler Little but not 4 games in. Connor needs time like ehlers did last season. Connor probably had his best game last night.  

As for Stafford... I don't like him on the top line or the 2nd line for that matter but since he is here... he will play top 6 most nights?  Why? Who knows but probably because he's awful defensively in his own zone and the bottom 6 guys are generally used for their defensive abilities. Stafford will be top 6 as long as he's a Jet. I do think that unless stafford is scoring he's pretty much useless but it's 4 games and he should be good for 20 goals over a season. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

I'm not sure that clip is that impressive. I can do that. Videos like that one of Kane going through the pucks, that's next level stick handling.

Note: No, I'm not saying I'm a comparable hockey player to Laine.

Wow, Sweep the Laine over here

14 minutes ago, Ducky said:

pffft...I'd put Armia on the 2nd or 1st line waaaaaaaay before Staf....

Staf sucks and anyone that thinks otherwise is either blind or doesn't know the game of hockey.

Haha please.  Go make some imaginary line combos for the millionth time because I think slotting 12 names into 12 spots is just about as far as your hockey knowledge goes.

5 hours ago, Ducky said:

pffft...I'd put Armia on the 2nd or 1st line waaaaaaaay before Staf....

Staf sucks and anyone that thinks otherwise is either blind or doesn't know the game of hockey.

Armia really hasn't shown the offensive ability tho. So he's a bottom 6 and he's fine in the bottom 6. I get you like armia and so do I but he's not a top 6 player.