Trouba wants out (Trouba has signed)

FrostyWinnipeg

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

hes hoping to end up another Subban where the lower bridge deal turns into a much higher long term deal where he ends up ahead in the end.  And that's possible.  But unless he gets traded to a team willing to pay, he will end up with fair market value here because Jets still own his rights.

They have him signed to two years.

After that, he can ask for salary arbitration. If he does, The Jets will ask for one year instead of two. The year after the same thing and then he is is an UFA. I think he is moved way before that. If he doesn't sign a new deal during his last year of this deal, Chevy moves him.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, it appears Trouba was right and he is ready to get 1RHD minutes. He has excelled this year in my opinion. So, if he wants to re-sign, how much is he worth/do the Jets give him...assuming his play keeps up.

If he keeps up the stellar play, I would give him 7.25m x 8, 6.75m x 7 or 6.25m x 6.

Trouba has been our best D man this year. I think maybe Morrissey has been more consistent game in and game out but Trouba is our best D man. Get Tyler on the ice and on the PP scoring goals and trade him before the expansion draft, preferably at the TD, for a young expansion draft exempt LHD (if before the expansion draft) .

He makes 4m this year and 3.5m and 3m the next two years so this has got to be attractive to some teams?  I wouldn't mind seeing a deal between AZ and the Jets with Chychrun and Myers the main pieces.

Edited by Ducky

Buff is the third highest paid D in the league...

Enstrom is 19th and Myers is 26th...

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

So how do you tell Trouba that he's not worth $7-7.5 million a year for six years to stay in Winnipeg... Chevy has already established that you get a premium to play here.

Myers contract is garbage for the fans... great for a team - that's already swimming in cash.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Myers contract is garbage for the fans... great for a team - that's already swimming in cash.

How much money do the Jets have? 

What does their balance sheet look like? I would love to know that. 

Edited by JCon

Trouba still can't just leave. How many more RFa years does he have? Two after this contract? So he either signs another two years and walks to embraces playing here. Thing is Jets won the staring contest this season so trouba is unlikely to sit out again if the Jets offer him a reasonable deal. 

I think trouba bites the billet and signs for 6-8 years. He's already essentially 1D. And buff isn't getting any younger. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Buff is the third highest paid D in the league...

Enstrom is 19th and Myers is 26th...

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/cap-hit/defenseman/

So how do you tell Trouba that he's not worth $7-7.5 million a year for six years to stay in Winnipeg... Chevy has already established that you get a premium to play here.

What does that even mean? Myers is a quality D-man with a unique skill set when healthy.

If the Jets won the staring contest, he would be here for 6 years at $5.5...  Other players have signed deals like this and been traded.  More than have re-signed I think...

As for the Myers contract... it probably doesn't really matter since the Jets don't spend anywhere near the cap - then again, if they did, we probably wouldn't be arguing about goaltending, coaching, etc etc on here and might be talking about the playoffs

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

If the Jets won the staring contest, he would be here for 6 years at $5.5...  Other players have signed deals like this and been traded.  More than have re-signed I think...

As for the Myers contract... it probably doesn't really matter since the Jets don't spend anywhere near the cap - then again, if they did, we probably wouldn't be arguing about goaltending, coaching, etc etc on here and might be talking about the playoffs

Well. That's just false. Jets are pretty much in the middle of the pack in terms of cap. Add to the fact ehlers Laine Morrissey helle petan are on ELC and ya... 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Trouba still can't just leave. How many more RFa years does he have? Two after this contract? So he either signs another two years and walks to embraces playing here. Thing is Jets won the staring contest this season so trouba is unlikely to sit out again if the Jets offer him a reasonable deal. 

I think trouba bites the billet and signs for 6-8 years. He's already essentially 1D. And buff isn't getting any younger. 

He can file for salary arbitration and then the team gets to pick one or two years and they will pick one year. The same thing the next year he won't sign any contract offered and then he can file for salary arbitration and he'll only have one year left of restricted free agency. This is a worst case scenario.

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

Well. That's just false. Jets are pretty much in the middle of the pack in terms of cap. Add to the fact ehlers Laine Morrissey helle petan are on ELC and ya... 

Yeah where do people still think the Jets are last in spending or somehow trying to orchestrate it so they dont have to spend any money.  Let's spend to the cap this year so we have to trade our stars in two years.  Thats a better plan. 

Technically the Jets are in the bottom third of cap spending (4th lowest).   But to be fair, the difference between where the Jets are and middle of the pack is only $4M.   They current project to be about $5.3M under the cap at season end. 

And as TUP suggested, that cap space can easily get eaten up with the young players we have coming off of ELCs in the next couple of years, even with players like Stafford, Stuart, Pavelec, etc coming off the books.

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm more curious to find out who Floyd's source is that they're swimming in cash. I would like to know how much True North earns in a year vs how much is invested into the club.

Im too lazy to check but Forbes does a list every year indicating profits etc.  If I recall the Jets had a small profit every year.  Which is notable because it only takes into accounts the "Jets" and not other True North revenue.  So if the Jets themselves are generating a profit, you can be sure True North is very very healthy when you consider the MTSC and everything else.

I think when the Thrashers were purchased, True North was cautious in preparing fans for a "middle of the pack" team as far as spending.  I know Chipman said that if he felt the team was ready for a run, he'd spend to the cap.  I think the first few years have shown they can spend more.  They are comfortable with their revenue.  I dont think they plan to spend to the cap and its wise to try and avoid that.  But I dont think they lose a key piece over not wanting to spend a few million dollars.

Jets are here for the long haul and they want to be in the playoffs every year because thats where the real big money is.  They will spend to make that happen.  But they have a plan and are going to stick with it.

And True North has spent a bunch of money re-investing into the MTS Centre. Also, they've used their financial leverage to invest in other projects, like True North Square.

I have no doubt that True North is profitable off the Jets. I don't like this notion that they are 'cheap'. They're cautious and they protect their investment.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

And True North has spent a bunch of money re-investing into the MTS Centre. Also, they've used their financial leverage to invest in other projects, like True North Square.

I have no doubt that True North is profitable off the Jets. I don't like this notion that they are 'cheap'. They're cautious and they protect their investment.

Never said they were cheap.  I said they don't spend near the cap.

Either way, they will be forced to spend to the cap in a couple years... maybe then we'll be in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

Never said they were cheap.  I said they don't spend near the cap.

Either way, they will be forced to spend to the cap in a couple years... maybe then we'll be in the playoffs.

If you look at the teams in the league who spend to the cap... playoffs certainly aren't a guarantee.  It's not about spending to the cap... it's about managing your cap. Jets have young players on ELC deals who when the time comes will get big raises.. spending 5 million extra bucks right now is great but... it guarantees nothing. But it could guarantee that in a couple years you don't have money for ehlers Laine Morrissey.  

Let's look at Chicago. They have like zero cap... next year panarins new deal kicks in... they are going to have to move players out and teams won't just help them because... they moved bickell last year... but had to throw in teravainen. That's not good cap management.  Getting rid of a bad contract with a kid who has talent.  Would sure suck to have to lose Connor Roslovic Laine Morrissey  Ehlers etc because we don't have cap to pay them.  

Edited by Goalie

On 1/30/2017 at 1:42 PM, Goalie said:

If you look at the teams in the league who spend to the cap... playoffs certainly aren't a guarantee.  It's not about spending to the cap... it's about managing your cap. Jets have young players on ELC deals who when the time comes will get big raises.. spending 5 million extra bucks right now is great but... it guarantees nothing. But it could guarantee that in a couple years you don't have money for ehlers Laine Morrissey.  

Let's look at Chicago. They have like zero cap... next year panarins new deal kicks in... they are going to have to move players out and teams won't just help them because... they moved bickell last year... but had to throw in teravainen. That's not good cap management.  Getting rid of a bad contract with a kid who has talent.  Would sure suck to have to lose Connor Roslovic Laine Morrissey  Ehlers etc because we don't have cap to pay them.  

You can't say it's not good cap management when they have a great team every year.  Yeah they have to get rid of good players every year but that just means they have a surplus of good players.  I'd have no problem getting rid of Kyle Connor, etc, if we had a great team and were winning consistently.