LDC on Youtube

johnzo

Some stuff I noticed on the rewatch:

Suitor is on drugs when he says that the good teams are at 70% or above in terms of red zone percentage.  The best red zone team in the league is Toronto at 72% and the best teams in the league are around 50%.

Is anyone making donations to Variety in memory of Jerry Maslowski?

(here's some youtube embeds, they go straight to the play in question, even though they all have the same preview)

Josh Bartel is gonna eat it in the film room when everyone watches him totally whiff on this block:

People were talking about our endzone troubles, with Dressler and Sheppard both dropping touchdown passes.  Interesting that Nichols threw inside on this play even though Dressler was looking for the ball outside:

The Sheppard miss, on first watch I thought it would have been a heroic catch but it seems like a pro receiver ought to be able to catch a ball they can get both hands on, even when they're laying out like that:

What on earth was Durant thinking throwing this lazy rainbow to the wide side? Watching the ball crawl out there, I knew it was a pick. Huge turnaround play in the game and a big blemish on an otherwise fine day for DD:

And finally, everyone's favourite PI call:

Edited by johnzo

Wow. After seeing the Sheppard and Dressler tosses it's hard to blame Nichols on either of those. He placed both of them well with in reach and catching range and both were to the receivers advantage where they wouldn't be picked off. Those types of things work them selves out with time and chemistry between receiver/QB. Let's hope they can improve on those.

2 minutes ago, Saidin said:

The more I see the PI on Dressler, the more I think it was marginal, but could see why it was called.

The ref calling it has both players backs to him. From his POV it likely looked like he was hauled down. There was definite hand to hand and what appears to be a hooking and who knows if Jones had been able to challenge it if it would have been over turned or not. Dressler could have sold it a bit also and drawn the flag. Either way this is the type of crap we are used to seeing getting called on us so it's nice we get a few back the other way for a change.

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't understand how anyone can say it wasn't a PI, or even marginal.......Cox put his arm inside Dressler's, and prevented him from using both hands to get to the ball. How is that in any way NOT a PI? It's by the book, and blatant...

After going over it and over it and over it I snapped a good screen shot where you can see Dressler's arm insdie Cox's arm. So Yes I agree with you. But Suitor yaps off about it saying he didn't think it was the right call. Then you have Pederson and now you have other players saying it was a bad call. But it's clear that its a PI! 

14 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

After going over it and over it and over it I snapped a good screen shot where you can see Dressler's arm insdie Cox's arm. So Yes I agree with you. But Suitor yaps off about it saying he didn't think it was the right call. Then you have Pederson and now you have other players saying it was a bad call. But it's clear that its a PI! 

To add to that earlier in the route Cox has an arm on Dressler's shoulder forcing Dressler to twist and Cox pushed him a yard off his route. I wish Jones could have challenged this call because if we could have seen the camera angle from the Rider end zone it would have better shown the illegal contact prior to the ball being in the air and the pi. 

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've always found the easiest way is to go through the "Insert Other Media" option and "Insert Image From URL".....works great, and doesn't require the outside site.

If you get the actual URL of a pic (for example, it ends in .jpg or .png or whatever) and just paste that in, the forum will auto-convert it to show the picture.

Don't need to go through the Insert buttons.

2 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Wow. After seeing the Sheppard and Dressler tosses it's hard to blame Nichols on either of those. He placed both of them well with in reach and catching range and both were to the receivers advantage where they wouldn't be picked off. Those types of things work them selves out with time and chemistry between receiver/QB. Let's hope they can improve on those.

He had all day to throw, and thats one thats gotta be a strike. Instead he threw the wrong route, and still heavily over threw the ball. Dressler is what 5'6? If he was 6'4 you could expect him to make that catch. But then, bowman would have flat dropped it. Nichols had him and put the ball in the worst place other then the hands of the db. Its tough though, to stay sharp on posts/corners and deeper routes when your offense is running short stuff 90% of the time. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

He had all day to throw, and thats one thats gotta be a strike. Instead he threw the wrong route, and still heavily over threw the ball. Dressler is what 5'6? If he was 6'4 you could expect him to make that catch. But then, bowman would have flat dropped it. Nichols had him and put the ball in the worst place other then the hands of the db. Its tough though, to stay sharp on posts/corners and deeper routes when your offense is running short stuff 90% of the time. 

I believe there's a quote from Nichols in Tait's post-game piece where he says those were bad throws and not on the receiver. Actually explains exactly what he did wrong...

Just now, Noeller said:

I believe there's a quote from Nichols in Tait's post-game piece where he says those were bad throws and not on the receiver. Actually explains exactly what he did wrong...

yeah it was on OB too, said he missed dressler and it was on him. He took blame for shepards too, but that was a drop. Some hand fighting and tugging going on too. I wouldnt call that, but worse plays  have been called PI this year. Those deep touch passes arent nichols strength at all (or willys) but doing it soo rarely in game makes it soo much harder to execute.

Also the burst dressler put on to get to that ball was insane, idk how many tall wr's would get to touch that ball. 

Just now, Noeller said:

Willy *did*, at one point, have an outstanding touch on his deep ball.....not dissimilar to Frito Ray. Not sure it's still there, but just sayin', since you brought it up :)

deep ball has allways been willys weak spot. Hes a high percentage short-medium passer. This year the wheels fell off any thing more then short though. Throwing at peoples knees and toes on medium depth routes. He had good touch, and straight line speed but losses his zip quickly  the deeper he throws. 

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Those deep touch passes arent nichols strength at all (or willys) but doing it soo rarely in game makes it soo much harder to execute.

In that same game, he hit McDuffie and Dressler perfectly in stride down the right sideline with coverage lurking, and those plays weren't much deeper than the Sheppard / Dressler endzone misses. So he can definitely do it.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

In that same game, he hit McDuffie and Dressler perfectly in stride down the right sideline with coverage lurking, and those plays weren't much deeper than the Sheppard / Dressler endzone misses. So he can definitely do it.

its not a thing of cant do it at all, its a weaker tool thats gotten very rusty. The few medium+ passes he thrown since starting has contained a ton of what we saw in the dressler pass. Leading his wr far too much and leaving them vulnerable. 

Oh man, that 2014 season opener against Toronto, when 5to19 looked like the new hotness. Such a great game, reminds me of Buck Pierce's debut in 2010 when he and Terrance Edwards were unstoppable.

You also see some good pocket presence in those clips, Willy crisply moving away from pressure with eyes downfield, then making the throw. He was never a speedster or a magician like Durant but at his best the guy could really keep an extended play alive.

I'm happy that Nichols has us on a roll, but I sure would like to see the 2014 Willy again, especially since our receiving talent is 200% better than it was in 2014. Bummer to think that maybe we've ruined yet another QB.