Largest Fire Evacuation in Alberta's History underway in Fort McMurray

Atomic

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Plus 30 there today. That's not gonna help at all.

It's unfortunate but Mother Nature is a ***** at times, Nothing you can really do about things like this. It's interesting that it's an oil town tho, It's kind of like Mother Nature teaming up with Mother Earth saying you take our OIL, we take your city. 

I hope everyone is alright tho, that's the main thing for sure. 

The timing of the fire is a bit bizarre being so early in the season but the fire itself is a natural occurrence that is part of the cycle of a boreal forest.  Fort Mac did not follow the advisory of "fire-guarding" after the Slave Lake fire and now they're sadly paying the price. 

Lethbridge-based ******-canoe from the NDP party tweets out this morning that all of this is karma on Fort Mac for all the environmental damage done due to oil and gas work. Believe what you want about the oil and gas industry, but what a dink thing to post on social media RIGHT NOW.....

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Lethbridge-based ******-canoe from the NDP party tweets out this morning that all of this is karma on Fort Mac for all the environmental damage done due to oil and gas work. Believe what you want about the oil and gas industry, but what a dink thing to post on social media RIGHT NOW.....

I remember when Calgary was flooding and all of the dimwits were saying the same thing.  What a bunch of yahoos.  That NDP dingbat may need to hire a bodyguard.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm anti-All Things Conservative, but now is not the time for politics or eco-conspiracy theories........let's just do everything we can to band together and help.

yeah and don't get me wrong either - I'm anti-All Things Leftist, but we can agree on this point.

This is friggen heartbreaking. I just watched a woman saying they had to evacuate so fast they couldn't pack anything and they were going to lose everything. I feel so bad for them.  I just can't possibly imagine what they're going through. 

Edited by Logan007

I don't know how these people could be this close to a firestorm and remain calm and orderly.  This could have easily broken out into full panic bedlam and thousands of people dying, but everyone worked together and didn't panic.  Just amazing.  These people are my heroes.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Ass-hat indeed, no need to further help him spread his message, let it die.

I have seen a lot more like this, and you are right, re-posting just helps spread the message of hate so I won't post any more, but it does give an insight into the "minds" if you can call them that, of the loons and nuts out there that seem to have embraced fanaticism when it comes to environmental issues.  Kind of scary actually.

29 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I have seen a lot more like this, and you are right, re-posting just helps spread the message of hate so I won't post any more, but it does give an insight into the "minds" if you can call them that, of the loons and nuts out there that seem to have embraced fanaticism when it comes to environmental issues.  Kind of scary actually.

I saw a lot of similar posts on the American network sites.  WTF.  Yeah ok, it's bad for the environment and they're digging holes in the Earth.  I'm a green guy too, or at least I try to be, but saying crap like this at a time where people are losing their homes and ****...wtf dude.  The Internet is just filled with scum that voice their shitty views.  This is a time to come together and help, not a time to stand on your high horse and tell someone they deserve to lose everything...their home, their lives, their memories.  Seriously you fuckers...grow up and GTFO of your mom's basement.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't know how these people could be this close to a firestorm and remain calm and orderly.  This could have easily broken out into full panic bedlam and thousands of people dying, but everyone worked together and didn't panic.  Just amazing.  These people are my heroes.

I wonder if a lot of it isn't related to the fact that so many people up there work in a very safety focussed industry. Most people start their day with a safety meeting and emergency plans are just routine for a lot of them. 

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Fanaticism when it comes to anything makes things very scary. Stop the world now, I want off is feeling I get at times with all this deep seeded hate, division and narcissism.

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Fanaticism when it comes to anything makes things very scary. Stop the world now, I want off is feeling I get at times with all this deep seeded hate, division and narcissism.

I was gonna say, the Con's have just as much fanaticism on their side, over different issues. But now's not about politics and the extremists on either end. I tend to be a very middle-ground person, and this is the time for middle-ground common sense to prevail... 

43 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I was gonna say, the Con's have just as much fanaticism on their side, over different issues. But now's not about politics and the extremists on either end. I tend to be a very middle-ground person, and this is the time for middle-ground common sense to prevail... 

well said.

Apparently according to some sites I am reading this Chris Snowden guy has lost his job over that post.  And he's being publicly flogged by social media.  So there is some justice in the world.  I will never understand why people post stuff like that on the internet.  Do they not understand that there are consequences?

21 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Apparently according to some sites I am reading this Chris Snowden guy has lost his job over that post.  And he's being publicly flogged by social media.  So there is some justice in the world.  I will never understand why people post stuff like that on the internet.  Do they not understand that there are consequences?

They are convinced that people will agree with them and have this idea that free speech means you can say whatever you like and no one can do anything about it. 

Got this email from True North today

Like many Canadians, our family at True North Sports & Entertainment has watched helplessly as forest fires have forced tens of thousands of people in northern Alberta from their homes. This enormous disaster, growing bigger by the day, is simply unprecedented. It is the largest fire-related evacuation in Alberta history. As a result, many people have fled their homes in Fort McMurray and surrounding area with only a moment’s notice. They need our help. 

In an effort to help with the disaster relief effort, our charitable organization, Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation (WJTNF) is making a donation of $100,000 to support the Canadian Red Cross. The Red Cross is already active in nearby communities surrounding Fort McMurray, providing basic supplies, accommodations and registration services for evacuees. 

We are encouraging fans of the Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose to join us by also making a donation. Funds collected through the Foundation for this fundraising effort will be donated to the Canadian Red Cross. A charitable tax receipt for the full amount of any donation will be issued by WJTNF. 

In the next few days, the people who have been affected by this disaster will need immediate access to food, shelter and support resources. The need for support will continue in the weeks ahead as thousands of families return to their communities to clean up, rebuild and start again. 

Respectfully, 

Mark J. Chipman
Chairman
Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation

Link to donate can be found here

http://view.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/?qs=fd3d2f9fc928cf4dfe6ce2587dc46c51f618870487b4c8ccac801295d9e1a2af305b7b53adae6f3d5afe8bd6df9e4458a0a7da6df92580fca01d8aa2053705f90dafe735b61252702734b5333f30ab08

Or if you prefer to donate directly to the Red Cross, donation page is here.

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1951&ea.campaign.id=50639