Random News Items

Rich

Winnipeg has an insanely high amount of restaurants per capita...  it's such a competitive business that you absolutely need top notch service/quality of food to stand out.   

Now if I were to wish for a new restaurant to come to Winnipeg it would be Trois Brasseurs (3 Brewers). I had it in Quebec and it had great beers and solid dishes.   

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

How does a teenage soccer coach lead his players into a flooded cave??? How did they get there?

I believe they were on a tour or something.  They were exploring caves when fast rising water cut off the entrance.  Apparently things can flood fast there. 

The coach took them further into the cave to look for an alternate exit and high ground to keep safe. 

One plan was to keep them there til October until rainy season passes. But they had bad weather moving in and I think I saw them saying the air wasn’t great hence the dive out plan. 

It will likely be a movie. 

On 2018-07-04 at 7:54 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

This is an amazing story 

This really is an amazing story.

There's the remarkable strength of character and courage shown by all of the people involved,

and the level of skill of the people who found the boys, and then devised and are carrying out the plan to get them out.

All led by two apparently quiet, non attention seeking,  British civilian amateur cave rescue divers, one a retired fireman, one an IT guy, and also I think an Australian MD/cave rescue diver. 

I understand that It was the two Brits that initially went in, and found the boys and the coach. One 47, and the other 56 years old.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/09/meet-seven-british-divers-playing-leading-roles-thai-cave-rescue/

At one point they have to take off their tank, and go through an opening 38 centimetres across. 

they lead the boys out, one diver ahead of the boy, and one behind, all roped to each other, and to a line fixed to the cave wall.

the boys do not wear a tank, the lead diver carries a second tank, which is connected to the boy's full face mask.

brilliant, cause the tanks are heavy. and move.

It's an almost incredible demonstration of fortitude,  and skill.

I also appreciate the Thai officials complete lack of grandstanding.... one short press conference a day, by one person. no questions.

I learned that there are cave diving rescue societies, which of course these men are leading members of. And that they call diving in a cave where it is partly submerged, and partly not, sump diving.

If you're following it, they do not have oxygen in their tanks, they have air. 

Edited by Mark F

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I believe they were on a tour or something.  They were exploring caves when fast rising water cut off the entrance.  Apparently things can flood fast there. 

The coach took them further into the cave to look for an alternate exit and high ground to keep safe. 

One plan was to keep them there til October until rainy season passes. But they had bad weather moving in and I think I saw them saying the air wasn’t great hence the dive out plan. 

It will likely be a movie. 

Apparently, they were having a picnic after a soccer practice & decided to go exploring.  The caves are well known in the area as being dangerous & there are signs posted, right at the mouth of the cave, advising people not to enter (especially at this time of year).