Random News Items

Rich

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I've seen many seniors working fast food jobs,  construction,  retail and all sorts of jobs.   

Not many 73 year olds driving or operating heavy machinery or trucks. Working behind a till at a convenience store is a lot different than driving a dump truck. Or operating a crane.

38 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

73 isn’t that old. Is it really that hard to drive a dump truck vs any other truck?

No it isn't, I drove one like that for a summer as a student and I had about 5 minutes training, if you can handle a stick and air brakes not much to it other then extreme focus on the road ahead.  Good chance there was a mechanical failure and the driver did not realize the box was not locked down, a lot of these old trucks are in extremely poor mechanical condition so nothing surprises me.  Keep out of their way!

I'm 63 & drive a school bus. I honestly know that  my reflexes aren't what they used to be. Even my cognitive processes aren't the same as I was 20years ago. In the past few years, there have been a few times when I have been driving & completely forgot en route where I was going & how to get there. I look calm behind the wheel but meanwhile I'm panicking as I'm driving thinking where the hell am I going??? .Luckily, those few episodes lasted only about half a minute each time & I quickly regained my bearings but I never was like that when I was younger. However, I make up for a lot  with 46 years of driving experience. But there's no way I'd feel safe driving a 40 foot school bus with 60 kids at age 73.  I plan on putting my feet up in 10 years not wanting the responsibility for kids & teachers safety.  Talked to drivers about my memory lapses & it seems to be a common problem among older drivers as most of them have experienced the same thing. So, I'm not alone.  You guys in your 20's,30's & 40's, please believe me when I say things change as you age as a driver. I think a 73 year old commercial driver could be a safety issue.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Dave Wheeler got himself kicked off the air again (at least temporarily).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-wheeler-trans-comments-1.4749616

I saw this explode on twitter. And assumed he’d be at least suspended. He tried to make an intelligent explanation for what is clear bigotry.  He can think what he wants but he sure wasn’t going to stay on air with public views like that. 

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I saw this explode on twitter. And assumed he’d be at least suspended. He tried to make an intelligent explanation for what is clear bigotry.  He can think what he wants but he sure wasn’t going to stay on air with public views like that. 

If he was a standup he would have got away with it. Needed to add some guffaws.

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'd like the full story...  I never believe anything from cbc since they love to alter the truth to put on the racist angle.  

I believe the story included quotes from the police who stated the victim had been assaulted by Flip Flop before being prevented from leaving.  Victim declined to press charged and both men were allowed to leave.  So as far as whether the victim did something that would make Flip Flop's racist and illegal actions justified, from available information, that doesnt seem to be the case.

I dont think being an illegal immigrant is even something one can make a "citizen's arrest" over lol

https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/23/report-tesla-wants-money-back-from-suppliers/

Tesla's financial woes have been in the headlines for awhile now, and their latest move isn't exactly one that instills confidence. According to The Wall Street Journal, Tesla has been sending memos to its suppliers asking for retroactive discounts. In other words, it's asking for cash back on payments it has made to these suppliers since 2016. While hard numbers aren't available, Tesla described it as a "meaningful amount of money" in the memo.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎20 at 4:34 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Why? You've obviously never lived anywhere else.  You must think other cities are better run & politicians make better choices. You may be surprised to know that they don't.

Edited by SpeedFlex27