Random News Items

Rich

US can kill its own citizens without review when state secrets are involved, DOJ lawyer argues

A U.S. Department of Justice lawyer argued Monday that the United States can kill its own citizens without judicial review when litigation would reveal state secrets.

The argument drew alarm among judges on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Courthouse News Service reports.

Judge Patricia Millett characterized the DOJ’s argument as giving the government the ability to “unilaterally decide to kill U.S. citizens,” according to coverage of the argument by Courthouse News Service. “Do you appreciate how extraordinary that proposition is?”

US can kill its own citizens without review when state secrets are involved, DOJ lawyer argues (abajournal.com)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/court-of-appeal-decision-bissonnette-1.5816508

Quebec's Court of Appeal says it was unconstitutional to give a 40-year prison sentence to the man who killed six people and critically injured several others in a Quebec City mosque in 2017.

Alexandre Bissonnette was sentenced in 2019 after he pleaded guilty to six counts of first-degree murder and six-counts of attempted murder. It was the longest ever handed down in Quebec.

But in a unanimous ruling released Thursday, the appeals court reduced Bissonnette's sentence to 25 years without parole instead.

Quebec's court of appeal said consecutive sentences violate constitutional protections against "cruel and unusual" punishment as well as the right to life and security of the person. 

"Justice."

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It’s a life sentence, not 25 years. And with the Faint Hope clause he could apply for parole in 15 years anyway. I wouldn’t worry, I’d wager big money he isn’t going to be seeing the outside of a prison any time while I still walk this earth, and I plan on being around for 40 more  years at least. 

I would like to see Biden look imto the quicike plea bargain done with thee Russian spy, and all round hot female, who infiltrated the nra, which might have been involved in russian money and skullduggery.

russian links to gop are the ones i would be looking through.

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It’s a life sentence, not 25 years. And with the Faint Hope clause he could apply for parole in 15 years anyway. I wouldn’t worry, I’d wager big money he isn’t going to be seeing the outside of a prison any time while I still walk this earth, and I plan on being around for 40 more  years at least. 

I'd be surprised if he gets out alive.