Random News Items

Rich

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Same reason as @JCon  Word is, first court challenge will knock it out.  I wouldnt be surprised if someone sets themselves up just to make the court challenge.

Personal use growth should be no issue.  You can make wine and beer and booze at home, no?

Can you make booze at home?

Not disagreeing with your point, but I have this idea in my head that you can't distill at home. I could be wrong.

ETA: Yup. Illegal to distill at home without a very cumbersome license. But the risk of being charged is minimal as long as you don't sell it.

http://learntomoonshine.com/is-it-illegal-to-make-moonshine-in-canada

Edited by tacklewasher

On 2018-09-11 at 10:09 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This story is almost unbelievable, can you imagine a private enterprise allowing this situation to continue unabated?  I'd be mounting a machine gun turret on the roof if it was my shop.  Once word gets out on the street about access to free booze, this problem is only going to escalate.  As MLM is a govt. run enterprise which employs unionized employees they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.  It's likely nothing will be done, as nobody involved is losing money out of their own pockets and the union will not allow their members physical risk by actually confronting the thugs.  Police dept. is happy because more crime means more work and more money!   Only loser is the tax-payer, but golly gee they have bottomless pockets, don't they???

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

On 2018-09-13 at 7:09 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This story is almost unbelievable, can you imagine a private enterprise allowing this situation to continue unabated?  I'd be mounting a machine gun turret on the roof if it was my shop.  Once word gets out on the street about access to free booze, this problem is only going to escalate.  As MLM is a govt. run enterprise which employs unionized employees they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.  It's likely nothing will be done, as nobody involved is losing money out of their own pockets and the union will not allow their members physical risk by actually confronting the thugs.  Police dept. is happy because more crime means more work and more money!   Only loser is the tax-payer, but golly gee they have bottomless pockets, don't they???

In my experience the cops have a mixed response to things like this.  I remember from my time working in bars, we often got mixed messages.  For a time, the cops would show up (cause every entitled drunk we threw out would call the cops) and berate us for "thinking you're cops" or "being out of control".  Then we had a community officer who was great and he met with us and told us our job was tough enough without dealing with BS so to call the cops anytime we wanted.  So we did and then got berated for "not being able to handle your own problems."  

I remember my boss angrily telling our community officer that we could handle things ourselves if the cops supported us or we could call them for every incident or a combination of the two but that he was threw with cops showing up with attitudes.  The community officer was totally with us.  But community policing ended and it was the wild west again, a crapshoot as to what type of officer you'd deal with when you needed them (or they were called).  

I noticed in the last couple of police information releases, it seems the LC security was being more active and there have been more arrests.