Anonymous player speaks out

IC Khari

The NFL doesn't have guarented deals either and you can be cut at any time too.

He factors the exchange rate wrong too. 36,000 out of 52,000 is .69 cents on the dollar. Didn't hit that until well after the season.

Revenue sharing is interesting but can't see it happening. Western teams don't want to prop up the East.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

He factors the exchange rate wrong too. 36,000 out of 52,000 is .69 cents on the dollar. Didn't hit that until well after the season.

Revenue sharing is interesting but can't see it happening. Western teams don't want to prop up the East.

Hamilton & Ottawa could probably prop us up. No Grey Cup this year or for years to come. We have that itty bitty loan to pay off for the nest 40 years.

20 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Here comes the unpopular opinion!

Knowing you're getting a shitty deal going in doesn't make the deal any less shitty. I can't help but sympathize with the players making league minimum or PR wages while Kenny Canadian gets paid more than his fair share to be a slow unreliable <insert any position> week in week out because he has the right passport. This is a cruel and cut-throat business, only more-so to the American players we rely on so heavily for our skill positions. If we want to see better talent coming north we need to be a desirable destination. Nothing about that deal sounds desirable.

Yes, they are getting paid to play a game blah blah blah, but if they all went and got 'real jobs' instead of making league minimum who would we have to watch come July?

And before anyone gets up in arms, I appreciate the ratio and I love seeing Canadians play... whether or not they are the best available player at their position... it's just a shame that ratio balancing dictates who plays (and gets paid), and not talent. It's something I thought about a lot watching Brock Ralph try to catch a ball.

Brock Ralph?  I thought you just started watching football last year

A very good player like Muamba who tours the country and eventually gets a contract that will pay $160,000 for six games plus a hefty bonus the following year would be putting himself in a position to be replaced by one who might not be quite as good but cheaper. His chances the team will attempt to make a correction are very good. The same applies to Chic and Dressler. They got ridiculous money and promises of next year bonuses from Taman... Taman? Oh forget them.

Unless you are the quarterback the chances of getting the next year bonus are not very good. I'm not too sure why a player would go for that. 

On 19/02/2016 at 4:16 PM, rebusrankin said:

The NFL also renegotiates contracts down all the time. When you hear the enormous salaries on some contracts, it could be real or it could be a number that never happens. Any salary cap league is going to have roster bonus driven cuts. Would Westerman be here if veterans salary minmums didn't exist in NFL so that younger players are more cap friendly? 

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

The NFL has guaranteed money... not guaranteed contracts... for example, a top CB might sign a 5-year deal for $65M, with 20M guaranteed... the 20M guarantee is the only number that really matters... he may never see 65M, but he's guaranteed the 20M...

Exactly!! There are huge numbers thrown around but the guaranteed numbers are the only real numbers. Even then you see it all the time that NFL teams ask for a redo on the contract to free up cap space.