Just A Question?

iso_55

Has there been a Jeff Orridge sighting at a CFL game lately? With all of the issues this league has, do any of you have confidence that he's the guy to be the Commissioner of the CFL at this time? He just hasn't connected with fans the way Mark Cohon did. He reminds of the executive who goes to his office & just shuts the door & never comes out.

Has there been a Jeff Orridge sighting at a CFL game lately? With all of the issues this league has, do any of you have confidence that he's the guy to be the Commissioner of the CFL at this time? He just hasn't connected with fans the way Mark Cohon did. He reminds of the executive who goes to his office & just shuts the door & never comes out.

I was wondering the same thing last week, this guy is virtually invisible.  I wonder if he actually spends anytime in Canada.

I was wondering the same thing last week, this guy is virtually invisible.  I wonder if he actually spends anytime in Canada.

What?!?

What?!?

Orridge is an American who just got his Canadian citizenship. He made sure he was seen on television at one of the Liberal candidate's soiree's election night in Toronto. Interviewed on CBC that night. 

The league was crap last year, and it's worse this year.

I don't know what his job is, but

I would like him to push the league in to doing something serious about protecting the quarterbacks.

It's not much fun to watch a league with rookie quarterbacks, some of them ok, some of them lousy, playing many if not most of the games.

Sask, Wpg, Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal, BC, Edmonton

all playing backups for much of the year.

we see late hits over and over again on quarterbacks, with nothing effective done to stop it.

Are the teams too stupid to see that this is not good? or is it the league head office?

It's not that complicated. err on the side of protecting the qb.

git er done commissioner!

I agree with protecting QB's in principle, but I don't know what else you expect the league to do. There are already special rules for the QB that are mostly enforced properly. You can't hit the QB after he throws the ball or below the knee or above the shoulders. The QB can slide feet first to protect himself. How many QB's were injured this year on illegal plays anyway? 2 or 3? 

I think the new rules are a big part of why this season was worse than last. The defences have to play off the receivers which gives the underneath play to the offenses, which means that you see tons of short passes and huge completion percentages without a lot of yards. Lots of PI's this year. Lots of challenges to get PI's that weren't called in the first place. Lots of those are just a prayer that doesn't get answered, which slows the game down. (The first challenge shouldn't be free) Lots of other penalties called for things that weren't penalties last year, which slows the game down.

The league was crap last year, and it's worse this year.

I don't know what his job is, but

I would like him to push the league in to doing something serious about protecting the quarterbacks.

It's not much fun to watch a league with rookie quarterbacks, some of them ok, some of them lousy, playing many if not most of the games.

Sask, Wpg, Toronto, Hamilton, Montreal, BC, Edmonton

all playing backups for much of the year.

we see late hits over and over again on quarterbacks, with nothing effective done to stop it.

Are the teams too stupid to see that this is not good? or is it the league head office?

It's not that complicated. err on the side of protecting the qb.

git er done commissioner!

It makes you wonder how a little guy like Ronnie Lancaster with an average Joe build could have played 18 years in the league without serious injury, but then this is a different game now.  Back then you would never see a Safety blitz or a MLB in the backfield pursuing the QB.  Unless they implement restrictions on how many players the D can actually rush I can't see how they're going to overcome this problem without changing the fundamental premise of the game. 

I would estimate in an average game the QB ends up on the turf about 8-10 times, whether he's sacked or knocked down shortly after releasing the ball.  They can't exactly request the D rushers hold up before they get to the QB but they've got to come up with some sort of solution for the betterment of the game, that's obvious. 

In the 60's and 70's the defensive linemen were the size of many of the linebackers now, and did not have the strength they do now or stamina to either continue their rushes more than a few seconds or pursue downfield. Quarterbacks haven't changed all that much.

What?!?

Orridge is an American who just got his Canadian citizenship. He made sure he was seen on television at one of the Liberal candidate's soiree's election night in Toronto. Interviewed on CBC that night.

I know that. He's lived in Canada for around 10 years which is why I said "what?!?" to the ridiculous comment I bolder.

What?!?

I know that. He's lived in Canada for around 10 years which is why I said "what?!?" to the ridiculous comment I bolder.

You can't bolder me, I have bigger boulders.

What?!?

Why is it ridiculous? The guy is the Invisible Man. Maybe he goes camping on weekends during the season? Maybe he's been building a deck all season at home. ;)

He did a tour of all teams facilities this year he was in Winnipeg in the summer sometime and was part of some presentation. The game before that I saw him on the TV at another game.

Not sure what the job of the commissioner is exactly but all I know is that under Cohon this league tanked quite a bit.

What?!?

Why is it ridiculous? The guy is the Invisible Man. Maybe he goes camping on weekends during the season? Maybe he's been building a deck all season at home. ;)

Maybe he took a lesson from the Rona guy and accidentally built it in his house.

Orridge just hasn't inspired a lot of confidence that he's the guy to lead the CFL going forward. He just looks weak. We all knew when Cohon was in town or at a game. The guy also engaged the fans & media all across the CFL. In Calgary, the Stamps fans site similar to this called CFL Horsemen has a tailgate bbq before every Stamps game. Two years ago he showed up unannounced & spoke to fans which was huge. 

How do you know? Just by being less a fan person? BTW there was also a game this year where the TSN guys had Orridge in the booth with him. He sounds like a decent guy. He actually had something to say rather than the same smile and BS answers that Cohon gave.

As far as I know, Orridge does not post his itinerary, so how the heck would we know what his schedule looks like? It may or may not be due to any effort on the part of Cohon, or follow-up work by Orridge, but with the Argos moved into new digs, the league will be in the best shape in many years.