Just A Question?

iso_55

LOL! I'm being facetious here about the guy to get a discussion going. Some of the responses are interesting in his defense so I will say this. A big part of the job as CFL Commissioner is PR & to get out & meet fans & talk to the media toi try & build up interest in CFL cities as well as the national media. Orridge doesn't do any of that. Not even close. 

Do Gary Bettman, Selig, Silver and Goodell rub shoulders with the fans?  Is it because the CFL is more of a "working class" kind of league in which many of players do not make more money than the average worker that Orridge  should be required to meet n greet with the fans on a regular basis?

Absolutely why. The CFL doesn't have the money the other leagues do. It is still a fan driven, butts in the seats league so definitely the Commisioner has to be out there shaking hands & talking to everyone. Bettman & especially Goodell don't have to speak to anyone. Orridge should be at as many games as he can every weekend. Be on local radio & television talking it up all season long. He should be begging to do interviews. 

Has there been a Jeff Orridge sighting at a CFL game lately? With all of the issues this league has, do any of you have confidence that he's the guy to be the Commissioner of the CFL at this time? He just hasn't connected with fans the way Mark Cohon did. He reminds of the executive who goes to his office & just shuts the door & never comes out.

I was wondering the same thing last week, this guy is virtually invisible.  I wonder if he actually spends anytime in Canada.

What?!?

Orridge is an American who just got his Canadian citizenship. He made sure he was seen on television at one of the Liberal candidate's soiree's election night in Toronto. Interviewed on CBC that night.

I know that. He's lived in Canada for around 10 years which is why I said "what?!?" to the ridiculous comment I bolder.

Why is it ridiculous? The guy is the Invisible Man. Maybe he goes camping on weekends during the season? Maybe he's been building a deck all season at home. ;)

Hey, maybe we should fire him too.  FIRE "EM ALL!!!!!!

Do Gary Bettman, Selig, Silver and Goodell rub shoulders with the fans?  Is it because the CFL is more of a "working class" kind of league in which many of players do not make more money than the average worker that Orridge  should be required to meet n greet with the fans on a regular basis?

Absolutely why. The CFL doesn't have the money the other leagues do. It is still a fan driven, butts in the seats league so definitely the Commisioner has to be out there shaking hands & talking to everyone. Bettman & especially Goodell don't have to speak to anyone. Orridge should be at as many games as he can every weekend. Be on local radio & television talking it up all season long. He should be begging to do interviews. 

It takes a bit of time for someone new to adapt to the role and make it his own. I wouldn't be so concerned yet.  

He did this interview with Tim & Sid a couple of months ago, not sure if you saw it:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/shows/tim-and-sid-show/cfl-commissioner-jeffrey-orridge-in-studio/

Like I said just give him a chance. I, personally, do not feel it should be his job to sell the league to FANS, though it certainly does not hurt to get out and regularly meet them. I wouldn't expect him to do it every weekend. The guy needs to get time off as well. Now trying to come up with ideas to sell the league is something I would expect but I sure as heck would not leave it all up to him. That starts first and foremost with each team. Teams can do WAAAAAY more to sell the league than CFL head office. However, I do think corporate-wise Orridge and co. should sell the league.

I would also expect Orridge to have very good relationships with each team and be able to work with them and get each team to work with each other well. Again getting out and rubbing shoulders with fans is good but if our management doesn't do it, or do it on a regular basis, why should the burden be on the commish? When the current regime came into power here I used to see Bell, Miller and co. regularly now they are invisible. They have been fairly invisible or even not cordial to the press. So, again, why should the burden fall on Orridge?

Orridge extended the league tv contract by 3 years.  I'm sure it includes an increase each season.

Some are saying that isn't a good thing. Guess we'll have to see.

While I am not a fan of all the commentators or how they do some things TSN has still done a very good job of covering the league. I doubt that Orridge could have gotten more money for the league by putting the contract up for bids. With what Rogers paid for the NHL and their quick dumping of other contracts like UFC I highly doubt that they would have upped the bid and CBC is in no position to bid and I doubt Shaw was going to bid.

In this case I think stability and familiarity was a very good choice. Maybe when the extension is up it will be a time for open bids.

Seriously. The next thing Orridge should do to improve the CFL image in a big way is to hire some knowledgable people to set up a PROFESSIONAL CFL website.

I don't know who hired somebody's son to set up this basic website, but surely we can have better, up to date information, that we don't have to go looking elsewhere to get league information.

It's amateur land.

If he wants to come across as a Professional and a true CFL fan....start there.

if the bombers gave away free jerseys and/or bomber gear around xmas time and everyone gave everyone bomber stuff,  everyone would be wearing bombers, all day every day thus giving the appearance the team is a hot commodity resulting in some artificial bandwagon hype.  

marketing 101... or the Sunny Delight Pitch,  "whoa you have Sunny D? your moms the coolest!" and so moms wanted to be cool and bought crappy sunny d